Thread: Courtenay Rod & Gun club

Courtenay Rod & Gun club

Hello, my name is Daniel and I am 19 years old. I bought my first compound bow a few months back and I was hoping someone on here wouldn't mind taking me to the Courtenay Rod and Gun to shoot bows for a bit. I am thinking about getting a member ship but want to take a look at the place first.

My bow is also not set up very well, and because it is my first compound bow I have no idea how to set it up right. So if anyone could help me set up my bow that would awesome.

I am on the verge of selling it because I haven't used it in such a long time. I hope someone on here can help me get back into shooting it.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Courtenay Rod & Gun club

G'day Dan,

Realistically mate you are better off getting to the club as there is nothing better than a bit of hands on help to get you sorted. Failling that I would be happy to help where I can.

Let us know the specs of your gear, the more info the better. Need to know bow type, draw length and weight, arrow length, type, size and tip weight. Also do you us a release aid or shoot fingers.

Also what is your main problem, poor grouping, bad arrow flight or just bad accuracy in general.

Cheers Noel

Dan you are welcome to come by my place and practice on my targets ( ok boys no jokes LMAO ) ....I could take ya out to the range too tho... I am a member and can take guests.
    Beverly

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Well Done Beverly .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Hey, thanks for the offer Beverly. I may have to take you up on that when I have some free time.

My bow is a 70lb Alpine Frontier. Another guy on this forum was nice enough to come to my place and help me set my bow up. It was shooting fine for a few days but for some reason (maybe cable is stretching) it is now shooting way to high. I am not rough with my bow and I know I didn't knock the D loop out of place so I am not too sure why it is shooting high. The farther away I shot from the target, the higher the arrow will go. So the arrow is most likely pointing up. I have my sights set up as high as they will go and the bow is still shooting way above the sights, so my only guess is the location of the D loop is off. I haven't done any paper tunning yet so I am not sure if the rest is set right in the middle either.

Need to know bow type, draw length and weight, arrow length, type, size and tip weight. Also do you us a release aid or shoot fingers.
    I don't know that off the top of my head but I can find that out in the morning. It is a 70lb Alpine Fronter (set at 60lb) and I think my tips are 100 grain. I use Goldtip XTHunter 5575 vaned arrows.
    Last edited by dan_plus_o; 08-17-2007 at 12:42 AM.

Ok,

The first thing I would check is:::::::::

Place an arrow on the string and hold the bow out so that you can check if the arrow is at right angles to the string ie: 90 degrees

It sounds like something has moved, it could be the nock point or possibly the rest, my guess would be the nock has moved, this can happen.

Lets us know how you go mate.

Cheers Noel

Hey Dan. When you get out to the Courtney Club yoiu will want to move out there! It is BEAUTIFUL!!! Keep in mind that it is the height of summer and lots of people are away right now so don't get discouraged... I'm sure someone will help you get set up in Sept.

70lb is a pretty big draw weight for a beginner too. You might consider lowering it down to fifty or 55 to start, build your technique and form then raise the poundage in 5 pound increments till you are comfortable.

Probably the best thing yoiu could do would be to go into the local archery store, the name of which escapes me at the moment, the guy that owns it was very friendly and for a few bucks will definately be able to set yoiur gear up great... my guy down here charged me $25.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

There is a group that meets every couple weeks or so....they also have newbie days. I'll look it up and let you know. I have no clue how to set up a compound bow lmao....I'm a crossbow gal If ya want someone to shoot targets with tho I'm in!

Hermit you are correct....it's worth the membership fee just to be able to walk about out there
    Beverly

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

i'm going shooting on saturday and sun day dan call me and leave a message when your free.