Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comments.

Re: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comment

^^^^thats right brotha....cant fight fate....sure glad she turned thats for sure.

Re: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comment

Quote Originally Posted by webley View Post
    I was charged by a large male grizzly from 10 yds a few years ago, you do not have time to think about should I shoot or not shoot. if you have time to think about it don't shoot. your human survival will let you know. I did report it and had no problems with the co,s that came out with me to the dead bear, they said I did the right thing to shoot as that bear would have probably killed me.Steve! that story is on this site somewhere but don't know how to find it.
    Not necessarily true! Eve & I were charged by a large grizz from about 40 yards but he changed his mind only feet away after both of us yelled "hey bear" at the top of our lungs. Had my 375 been handy (it was by the camper 100 ft. away while we were getting our fishing rods ready)I no doubt would have shot him as soon as the charge started.
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

have had 2 uncomfortable situations with grizz in the south peace area, and a handful of more cautious experiences that didn't result in anything

first experience we had just shot a moose, we were taking pics and realized the moose was previously shot, bullet holt in velvet antlers and bleeding (so we are assuming the bear was onto the moose himself), we were tracking where the moose was bedded down before we shot him...didn't see the grizz at first but heard him, paws pounding the ground, buddy thought it was another moose, then the jaw popping and huffing/breathing, he charged out of the tree line and had a stare down at 15ish yards then he turned away, small bear, he stayed around all night until we had the moose in the truck and gut sack was gone the next afternoon when we went back for my gear....lesson learned - always keep a gun in your hands with downed game, not leaning on a log or in the truck....if I had a rifle in my hands I would've shot that bear without question

second time I was hiking out on my own, I had cut older tracks in the snow several times in the past few days so I was alert, kept checking 360 degrees every so often...I look behind me and there is a large old looking boar coming down on the trail a good 300ish yards away...not sure if he was actually tracking me or just using the same trail, next to no wind or very slightly swirling wind...there was a dip in the trail and a pulled out bridge crossing, so I didn't want to get into a spot with no vantage point, I held my ground and yelled, expecting he would take off...he kept coming on the trail, more yelling and he kept coming....he came into around 100 yards, slow slumber, not charging, didn't look aggressive but didn't seem to care I was there....at first I don't think he knew I was ahead of him, but after the yelling and no reaction that was enough for me...at around 100 yards I fired a round and that did get his attention and sent him running....was a tense hike back to the truck

only other interesting encounter was coming around a bend in the road and we put my truck between a sow and 3 cubs....cubs went up a tree and thought mama bear was going to come in through my windshield, did a circus dance on her hind feet, then she left the cubs and booked it outta there....my hunting partner was half into the backseat in 0.5 seconds, not a skinny guy and cracked my center console hahah
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

Curios "moosecamp", what was your "shot placement" like in that situation???

Was just posting Webley's story for him.
    I'm not prejudice, I hate everybody alike.

Oh come on you guys! Seen on CTV News this morning a bear driving through a Tim Horton's and the attendant spoon feeding it ice cream! Bears aren't bad or mean, I'm going to take ice cream on my next moose, I'll get it on video too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by M.Dean View Post
    Oh come on you guys! Seen on CTV News this morning a bear driving through a Tim Horton's and the attendant spoon feeding it ice cream! Bears aren't bad or mean, I'm going to take ice cream on my next moose, I'll get it on video too!!!
    M.Dean if I ran into a grizzly I would want Galbraith or Tucker there with their axe. No bear would mess with those two. LOL.

The problem with this question is that it's impossible to prepare for the unexpected. Suddenly finding oneself confronted by a grizz up close is not the scenario anyone should have. I've always kept in mind such a situation whenever I was in their territory and governed myself accordingly. However, that too, is faulty logic.

That said, I have had a close experience (30') with an unexpected sow and her two cubs who were out of my eyesight, but fortunately for me and my wit. Fortunately because they were playing and making a sound like someone trying to start a chainsaw. My wit, because I knew that there was no one around for miles with a chainsaw, and even though it wasn't even grizz territory, I quickly interpreted as bear.

I immediately backed up about fifty feet and to the edge of the fast flowing river I had been fishing and let out hollering and immediately all three stood up and stared me in the eye. The cubs were second year and almost as huge as the sow. I shook a fir sapling and continued screaming at them, with the intention of jumping in the river if needs be.

Suddenly they all dropped and in an instant took off into the brush. I continued my tirade for a minute more then proceeded to the spot where they were. It was a muddy depression in the river bank that kept them hidden from me with much clay stirred up and the remains of what looked to be an elk leg stripped of all the meat and smelling quite like a bear toy.
    They'll never end hunting...may make it illegal, but they'll never really kill that way of life!

My default is “here kitty kitty kitty kitty”
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

I have posted about this subject a bunch of times over the years! I did forestry work for 18 years many moons ago. I carried a 12ga defender shotgun, and when I started to carry it, I thought a 7.5 to warn the bear was a good idea. I was charged by a black bear one spring, and I let off the warning shot. The bear kept a coming, and stopped at 20 yrds and booked it. I could not believe how fast this bear covered the 100 or so yards to me, through a steep ravine to boot! After that I led off with a OO buck shot and 5 slugs after it. I killed my first bear in self defense up north of Mackenzie. The OO buck dropped it in its tracks at less than 30' with a OO buck to the head!!! When I cycled the action to put a slug into the dead bear, the effin gun jammed!!!!!! Glad I didnt need a follow up shot, which is my point here!! Shoot to kill, first shot is almost always the accurate shot!! I will kill a bear at 30' or less, if I am able. A grizz, or black bear will take you down if they so desire, they cover that distance in a second!!!! Really, any hi power rifle at bear defense range will kill any bear if a shot is placed properly!! Bear behavior education is really your best defense for preventing attacks, and keeping your wits about you in bear country! I am always one in the chamber, and safety on, this is where safe gun handling practices come into play. A safety is way easier to take off, that trying to cycle a round. $hit happens fast, and is unexpected in some cases. Be aware, and see them, before they see you. Keep a loaded hi powered rifle within your grasp at a kill site, better yet have a look out!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Last season we had an exciting time with a sow black bear. She was at about 40 yards popping her teeth and acting pissed. Her cub was about 50 yards further away, and up a tree. We had a very short discussion and agreed on when she was going to get shot, fortunately she turned around and left, then followed us out for a couple hundred yards, staying at around 30-40 yards. If she had made a move I'd have shot her. A grizzly acting like that, I may not have been so generous.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.