Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comments.

Re: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    I choose bear spray based on study's that show its most effective, the ability to use it bomb myself if I was actually being attacked, and when I went through self defense training I realized how difficult it is to function under that sort of pressure. A person can close a gap of 21 feet or so before you can raise a weapon and shoot...no idea what that distance would be for a bear but i imagine it's crazy far in a real life environment. Has nothing to do with killing the bear or what not, everything to do with me getting out alive.
    I choose bear spray too, only mine comes in 12ga

Re: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comment

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWalker View Post
    I choose bear spray too, only mine comes in 12ga
    I'd even let you borrow mine

My new threshold now they aren't a game animal anymore is the same valley.

I choose bear spray based on study's that show its most effective, the ability to use it bomb myself if I was actually being attacked, and when I went through self defense training I realized how difficult it is to function under that sort of pressure. A person can close a gap of 21 feet or so before you can raise a weapon and shoot...no idea what that distance would be for a bear but i imagine it's crazy far in a real life environment. Has nothing to do with killing the bear or what not, everything to do with me getting out alive.
    Don't believe the so called experts & their peer(pal) review friends. Where do you think their funding comes from?

The bear spray efficacy studies were predetermined, incongruous, non-scientific, based on mostly cherry picked he said/she said evidence(anecdotal), exaggerations, some fabrications & too few in number to make a difference.

What to expect when relying on bear spray? Here’s a couple of many!

1) Consider the 2 women biologists(Johnson & Trainor) attacked by a bear last summer in Alaska who were trained in bear safety
    Both carried bear spray.

Both within feet of each other were mauled & Erin Johnson died. An attempt to drive the bear off with pepper spray failed. The bear ignored it. It was sprayed very thoroughly. The officials surmised that it was a predatory attack.

The company allows employees to carry firearms in the field as long as they undergo shotgun instruction, but the crew opted for bear spray no doubt due to Liberal brainwashing & one paid the ultimate price.
    It was company policy that the employees had to be paired up or in groups.

2) Julia Gerlach, forestry worker, in 2005 was attacked by a predatory bear north of Ft. Nelson-bear spray totally failed.
    A nearby co-worker fired a shotgun to scare the bear away.
    She emptied a can of bear spray at the attacking bruin, but it didn't even slow the animal down.

"The can of bear spray emptied so quickly, even though it was a big can. I took the can and banged him on the nose, because I remembered that bears have very sensitive noses," she said with a chuckle.

By Dave Smith
    Characteristics Of Nonsport Mortalities to Brown and Black Bears and Human Injuries From Bears In Alaska (Miller & Tutterrow, 1999) examined 1,038 incidents from 1986-96 when people in Alaska killed bears in defense of life or property (DLP), and found that “Most of the persons shooting brown or black bears in DLP circumstance indicated that no human injury occurred (98.5% for brown bears and 99.2% for black bears.” People killed 221 brown bears and 37 black bears because the bear “was an immediate threat (charging).”
    Of the 72 incidents in Efficacy of Bear Deterrent Spray in Alaska (Smith et. al, 2008 ) just 10 incidents involved a charging bear, and 3 people who sprayed bears were injured.

Efficacy of Bear Deterrent Spray in Alaska is the most recent study on bear spray, and it included 31 incidents from a 1999 study by Herrero & Higgins on Field Use of Capsicum Spray As A Bear Deterrent.

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Lol ^^^^what he said....shotgun, rifle, it doesn't matter, I'll take a gun over bearspray anyday..

Sounds like you believe in conspiracy theories. I will concede that a shotgun was way more effective than I thought in the studies I read just a little behind bear spray.

Do any of the majority of the posters here REALLY have any idea how fast a griz can move when charging ????? I doubt it. The bravado posted might make you feel better, but I repeat-- YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW FAST THEY CAN MOVE. I have had several charges and have only had to fire once and finish off a wounded griz. Why didnt I shoot the others ?? Because I had my rifle shouldered and I had NO opportunity to swing the gun for a shot. So dont give me this crap that you would be able to fire off a killing shot at an animal running over rough ground at 30 MPH and NOT running in a straight line.

Sounds like you believe in conspiracy theories. I will concede that a shotgun was way more effective than I thought in the studies I read just a little behind bear spray.
    Bear Spray is Pepper Spray Its to put on the Freshly Cooked Bear Meat after i KILL it with Copper Bullets from one of my many Magnums ! RJ

Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated Ol Phart View Post
    Do any of the majority of the posters here REALLY have any idea how fast a griz can move when charging ????? I doubt it. The bravado posted might make you feel better, but I repeat-- YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW FAST THEY CAN MOVE. I have had several charges and have only had to fire once and finish off a wounded griz. Why didnt I shoot the others ?? Because I had my rifle shouldered and I had NO opportunity to swing the gun for a shot. So dont give me this crap that you would be able to fire off a killing shot at an animal running over rough ground at 30 MPH and NOT running in a straight line.

This is so true when crap hits the fan odds are not in your favour. Then add in that during a crisis situation most people react slow or freeze

I believe the only truly effective way to defend a bear attack is use your brain to not get into the situation to start with. Gun or spray does not hurt to carry but most people won’t react nearly as well as they think

How could you have no idea? Supposedly you were charged from 6yds....something smells funny. Also, you are wrong....shotguns are extremely effective at close range....I know.
    …..better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.