Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comments.

Re: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    Bear spray is all a guy needs or just play dead lol...for me if I have a gun and a bear charges at me it's getting shot if I am able to do so in time. Don't care if it's a grizzly or a panda bear...I would then self report. I suspect bear attacks will be on the rise as there will be more competition for food and they no longer have a reason to fear man.
    What Gary Shelton, grizz expert extraordinaire, has been saying all along!

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Re: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comment

Bear Spray, yup, I could see my self being my own worst enemy, and get hit from the back draft and stop breathing.
    Remember, if your a good hunter, your hunting "INTO" the wind.
    So which direction do you think the bear will be coming from, when you run into him.
    No thanks, I know why I pack a rifle, cause it is proven to work.
    It's not like you can get your money back if the spray doesn't work

Cyrus meant using bear spray or playing dead as a joke(lol)

Bear spray will not stop a determined bear.Even if it's not windy. PERIOD!
    It may slow the bear down momentarily. Many, many real life anecdotal examples will attest to that.

Spray better than bullets studies are anything but scientific & based on cherry picked examples that are far from being statistically significant.
    We usually have a couple of cans at camp to be used for curious bear/s that approach camp.

“People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I think that a sow and her brood of that size are a far bigger threat than a boar. You don't just engage one, they are all going to come to you should the notion enter their noggins.
    The O/P said that that grizzly was within 40 yards while standing. Having seen how fast they can cover ground (bolting away), for me I would be locked and loaded, safety off because that bear is well within my threshold. If that bear dropped to all fours and took one step in my direction, I say to you, I'd be shooting and readying the next for a second shot. I would not take that second shot in this case, unless he/she got up saving for the other two to show up. If time permits, I would chamber a new shell in when ejecting the first.
    Grizzlies are sneaky, you may see them enter into the brush and you let your guard down while they pussy foot to come from behind. Chances are that this bear may have started to circle but veered off once man scented. These near adult bears think they are invincible having mom protect their asses from gnarly old boars, they have attitude. I honestly think you got lucky. And it was a good thing that ram was under sized. Legal and you shot it, those three would have been there is short order.
    And like a previous poster on this thread reiterated, things are going to get much worse as the 'bears not experiencing the hurting from man will lose their fear and man will be experiencing the hurting instead.
    I hope a few of those granola munching greenies get a serious whoopassing while hiking to their favorite bear viewing spot. Only then they will come to understand their folly.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

When I saw that bear standing I was locked and loaded. The instant I saw him I dropped to my ass and was getting ready for a good shot, if it decided to come closer. There was 3 bears I was thinking I needed to put one down ASAP in case I had to deal with the other two.

Reading Gary James Sheldon book is great survival advice for bears..follow his directions for best chance on surviving an attack or even avoiding one...mom with cubs is a bad situation for sure..know your weapon,..
    I agree.bears are going to lose their fear of man..the whole dynamics of bear interactions will change over "time"..behaviour will also change for the worse..
    Most often heard comment after a charge or attack was they couldn't believe how fast a grizzly was or how powerful. .and the savageness, of the attack..grizzlies are faster than racehorses for that first 100 yards..all thoughts to ponder.
    Srupp

Any time I'm hunting I'm always loaded safety on when on foot anyway, and always aware of my muzzle direction, it's too bad for these individuals who had to load their guns under pressure and having them jam..

I've heard it is quicker to have no round in the chamber of pump style shotgun, so you can pull the trigger and cycle a round into the chamber when you need it , than to think......."find the safety, release it, and pull the trigger. Every nanosecond counts.
    I've also heard that a Black Bear will kill you to eat you , but a Grizzly will maul you to teach you that you are doing something wrong. Wrong place at the wrong time , so to speak. Although each episode or encounter will surely be different. Think about this, how many Bears were you close to , that knew that you were there, that you did not .
    000 buck, slug, 000 buck , slug.

Problem is, no Shotgun when your sheep hunting. 14k from the truck for 7 days. Rifle is going to have to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Brew View Post
    I would say hold your ground. when i took my wilderness ATC course I was told that 25m was my safe zone. if a bear comes into that safe zone and is aggressive you have every right to shoot it. if they are facing you aim right for its nose, the bullet will travel up to the brain no problem.
    I was also taught NO WARNING SHOTS

The last one we had coming into our camp couldn't have cared less about the high powered rifles going off, warning shots don't do much in that situation.