Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comments.

Re: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comment

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    How many of you pack a firearm when hiking out of hunting season? Here is am trying to save 10oz here or there in my pack and the GF won't go hike certain areas on account of there being Grizzlies around unless I bring a gun.

What's the lightest and cheapest grizzly approved firearm I can look for?
    I always have a firearm with me where permitted. I usually carry a defender 12 g, and 2 or 3 knives (my buddy calls them Bo and Luke Duke!). All of the bears I have encountered so far have ran away, but I make noise, even when summer scouting. But if that 1 bear does turn at me, I will take it out. No questions asked.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...

Re: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comment

Got charged from 6 yards last summer. Luckily it was a bluff and stopped just short. No time to do anything, all I carry is bear spray in a holster, seems like the only thing that would work. Carrying a shotgun in my opinion doesn't make much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    ... Carrying a shotgun in my opinion doesn't make much sense.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Constructive as usual.

Got charged from 6 yards last summer. Luckily it was a bluff and stopped just short. No time to do anything, all I carry is bear spray in a holster, seems like the only thing that would work. Carrying a shotgun in my opinion doesn't make much sense.
    The bear must have seen the holster, no doubt!
    Also everybody is entitled to an opinion!
    Like IN's descriptive response
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

My threshold is that my life is worth more than any animal that is not nearly extinct. I will spray, shoot or do whatever I can to survive based on what my gut instinct tells me at the time if I'm lucky enough to have the time. I've had 3 close grizzly encounters and one bad moose encounter that I haven't yet had to shoot my way out of. But if it happens, it happens.

I would rather survive and have no issues, a pissed off CO, or a legal battle on my hands then be maimed, killed, or presumed dead and never found.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

Quote Originally Posted by mpotzold View Post
    You're a wise guy!
    You never know where you'll meet one.

A few years back on our way to the Gang eagle eyes Eve spotted an unusual hump near a big boulder that turned out to be a large grizzly when we got closer.
    Never saw a grizzly in the open area as shown in the photo before.
    As the truck with camper got relatively close he hightailed it and ran full speed & stopped near the big tree ahead of the boulder & right of Fraser. There he stopped & showed off his massive body including his massive daggers while standing.

I have it on a video somewhere in bits & pieces.
    Just imagine walking all alone on the gravel road without a weapon.

Wow, very surprising indeed To see a griz in sage brush country, I would think..

So you got charges from 6 yards, and carrying a shotgun still doesn't make sense to you??? Are you sure the bear didn't eat part of your brain??

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    So you got charges from 6 yards, and carrying a shotgun still doesn't make sense to you??? Are you sure the bear didn't eat part of your brain??
    Lots of guys don’t feel a need to carry a shotgun.

Been bluff charged multiple times and only carry a gun if I am hunting with it or recovering a bear in think bush

not against a guy who chooses to carry a shotgun but don’t see a need to

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I choose bear spray based on study's that show its most effective, the ability to use it bomb myself if I was actually being attacked, and when I went through self defense training I realized how difficult it is to function under that sort of pressure. A person can close a gap of 21 feet or so before you can raise a weapon and shoot...no idea what that distance would be for a bear but i imagine it's crazy far in a real life environment. Has nothing to do with killing the bear or what not, everything to do with me getting out alive.