Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comments.

Re: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comment

Lol I carry a Sako A in .338 win mag..with 225 GR. Tsx ..pretty similar
    Steven

Re: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comment

I would say hold your ground. when i took my wilderness ATC course I was told that 25m was my safe zone. if a bear comes into that safe zone and is aggressive you have every right to shoot it. if they are facing you aim right for its nose, the bullet will travel up to the brain no problem.
    I was also taught NO WARNING SHOTS
    Last edited by Brew; 01-24-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member

It's the surprised encounters that are tough to say. In bear country I hike with one in the hole, bolt in fired position. If SHTF work the bolt and let er rip, only had to do this twice once with bb once with gb. I'm no expert on if I made the right choice, but I'm still here...

I would be more worried about that GB off in the distance that consciously starts coming your way. Happened to a good buddy last season in the East kootenays packing out a bh ram solo. Spotted the grizz sow n cub across a huge creek draw and over a km away. They started his way and next thing he knew they were both almost on top of him, literally. Took care of momma bear point blank range, 2 yr old cub bolted eventually leaving him with 2 bullets left. This guy knows GB behaviour better than anyone on this site, I guarantee that as it runs in the family. He is certain that sow wanted to kill him...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Thanks for this info, it supports my thoughts.

He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post

It may be a lot longer than a couple of minutes.

From a grizzly attack article-Most predators kill fairly quickly - but not so with bears. Big cats, like the leopard, go directly for the head, killing with a single bite that penetrates the brain. Crocodiles seize their prey and drag it into deep water, spinning over and over to kill by trauma and drowning.

But when a bear strikes, it simply rushes in like a locomotive and knocks its prey to the ground. once the prey is down, the bear pins it with its paws and starts feeding. It doesn't need to kill you first.
    A bear may take its time as it tears random mouthfuls from back, buttocks, legs and shoulders, or goes in through the stomach for the organs. It does not care if you scream or for how long.It may even feed for a while, then come back later for more.

My point is that one may be alive for some time getting mauled & being eaten by the bear while screaming.

One 19 year old woman phoned her mom in Russia 3 times while being eaten alive by a brown bear. It lasted for almost an hour before she finally died.

Both Treadwell & his girlfriend were eaten while mostly alive by a grizz & it lasted for quite some time. A six minute audio will attest to that. The audio quit working during the attack.

Go to 9:20
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrUEZQi9yMI

warning-graphic-remains found in bear’s stomach
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAnxqE9MDpQ
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    Cracked me up, needed that today, thanks..lol

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ged-by-a-Grizz

Turns out my threshold is about 12y on a full charge. Every situation is different.

Buddy asked me me where I was trying to hit her, " in the bear" was my response. These things happen faster than you would believe.
    KCCO

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyno View Post
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...ged-by-a-Grizz

Turns out my threshold is about 12y on a full charge. Every situation is different.

Buddy asked me me where I was trying to hit her, " in the bear" was my response. These things happen faster than you would believe.
    You're a brave man.
    Given a chance to aim & fire I would shoot the charging bear at 40 yards. Any closer don't think one has the time to aim properly especially if scopped.

Consider the following video of a big black bear(almost 7') shot at 40 yards. It's fairly close!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=MKBO-H9EK24
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Bear spray is all a guy needs or just play dead lol...for me if I have a gun and a bear charges at me it's getting shot if I am able to do so in time. Don't care if it's a grizzly or a panda bear...I would then self report. I suspect bear attacks will be on the rise as there will be more competition for food and they no longer have a reason to fear man.