Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comments.

Re: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comment

Bears are lightning fast they can come in so fast at close range that a person can't get there shotgun or other up fast enough to get a shot off at the charging bear the only thing that
    will help if you have bear spray on your belt and if you can get to the bear spray after you have been hit by the bear that's your only back up if you can spray into the eyes
    of the bear when you have an opportunity..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Re: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comment

He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Safety off gun raised qwick like ready to unload; pin point aim at zee animule steady hold finger on trig airr.
    Jelly Idol -- flesh for fantasy -- 2 nite the liquors calling the shots shots shots -- the lah cure iz callin dah shots on dah rocks - I hit rock bottom
    Last edited by Jelvis; 02-15-2018 at 07:34 PM.

Arrow Re: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comment

[QUOTE=mpotzold;1981193]Don't believe the so called experts & their peer(pal) review friends. Where do you think their funding comes from?

The bear spray efficacy studies were predetermined, incongruous, non-scientific, based on mostly cherry picked he said/she said evidence(anecdotal), exaggerations, some fabrications & too few in number to make a difference.

What to expect when relying on bear spray? Here’s a couple of many!

1) Consider the 2 women biologists(Johnson & Trainor) attacked by a bear last summer in Alaska who were trained in bear safety
    Both carried bear spray.

Both within feet of each other were mauled & Erin Johnson died. An attempt to drive the bear off with pepper spray failed. The bear ignored it. It was sprayed very thoroughly. The officials surmised that it was a predatory attack.

The company allows employees to carry firearms in the field as long as they undergo shotgun instruction, but the crew opted for bear spray no doubt due to Liberal brainwashing & one paid the ultimate price.
    It was company policy that the employees had to be paired up or in groups.

2) Julia Gerlach, forestry worker, in 2005 was attacked by a predatory bear north of Ft. Nelson-bear spray totally failed.
    A nearby co-worker fired a shotgun to scare the bear away.
    She emptied a can of bear spray at the attacking bruin, but it didn't even slow the animal down.

"The can of bear spray emptied so quickly, even though it was a big can. I took the can and banged him on the nose, because I remembered that bears have very sensitive noses," she said with a chuckle.

By Dave Smith
    Characteristics Of Nonsport Mortalities to Brown and Black Bears and Human Injuries From Bears In Alaska (Miller & Tutterrow, 1999) examined 1,038 incidents from 1986-96 when people in Alaska killed bears in defense of life or property (DLP), and found that “Most of the persons shooting brown or black bears in DLP circumstance indicated that no human injury occurred (98.5% for brown bears and 99.2% for black bears.” People killed 221 brown bears and 37 black bears because the bear “was an immediate threat (charging).”
    Of the 72 incidents in Efficacy of Bear Deterrent Spray in Alaska (Smith et. al, 2008 ) just 10 incidents involved a charging bear, and 3 people who sprayed bears were injured.

Efficacy of Bear Deterrent Spray in Alaska is the most recent study on bear spray, and it included 31 incidents from a 1999 study by Herrero & Higgins on Field Use of Capsicum Spray As A Bear Deterrent.

Again bear spray fails to stop grizzly.

One of the campers sprayed the bear with bear spray from a distance of 15 feet. The spray was unsuccessful in deterring the bear’s approach, and it proceeded to climb on top of the picnic table and consume the fish. It also sniffed, pawed, and bit two nearby backpacks.

Prior to its departure, it dug into two fire pits, sniffed picnic tables, a tent, and an RV with visitors inside.
    http://www.kpax.com/story/38548978/c...-in-campground
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

I think one should give it a bundy splash then a leg kick and finish it off with a elbow drop! Stupid bears
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Quote Originally Posted by browningboy View Post
    I think one should give it a bundy splash then a leg kick and finish it off with a elbow drop! Stupid bears
    If it’s a large boar I would advise going with a kick to the balls or throat punch

safer to fight dirty instead

In reality if I happened on a Grizz in the bush and it came at me, I'd prolly crap my Calvin's firstly.
    Jelly-Belly-smelly -- holy crapolla --

A grizzly can outrun a race horse for the first 100 yards. If you haven't practiced the action needed to survive it is doubtful you will. Only with one in the pipe was I able to get off a shot before the 3 seconds was up. Loading the rifle took too long.
    The professional guides seldom can get on target before being knocked over.
    3 seconds is not much time to do anything..
    The mythbusters posted a good video on how much time for a human charge.
    An encounters outcome would depend on the bears actions and weather I was packing a rifle. The boars run but the sows walk away.
    Ever seen a 2 1/2 gallon bucket of crap sitting in the middle of a trail, the diameter of a beer can. I have never met this bear, but I know where he lives.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

if it was aggressive i would shoot it and kick it in the ditch

I’ve had 4 or 5 grizz encounters inside of that comfort type window. I haven’t felt that I needed to shoot yet but that has always been based on the bears behaviour. I have it set very clearly in my mind that the first sign of aggressive action from a grizz towards me will be met with my best attempt at a lethal shot. I’ve had too many discussions with CO’s about armed people that got chewed on. They waited too long before shooting or attempted a warning shot.
    I also keep the scope off my gun when I’m in thick brush which should speed up a defensive shot if needed. I always keep one in the pipe when in bear country. Final tip, make sure every round your carrying cycles in your gun and the bolt closes completely on it.