Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comments.

Re: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comment

Every situation is different and bear body language is determining factor. Had 10ft stand-off with big bear and no need to shoot. Griz charging and gets closer than 20yds with no indication of slowing down trigger gets pulled. If see before sees you and far enough away....carefully, quietly pull out and avoid. If close range and moving and not seen you just hold up/crouch and wait for it to move on....but be ready. If on a kill back off quietly...NOW. If stumble on kill be ready to shoot. Have had fair number of run-ins both with and without gun. One time out in large cutblock 250yds from tree line and no gun....late fall. Griz at about 40yds coming up spine of ridge towards me but hadn't seen me. Strong wind towards me and not many options....only seconds to make choice. Crouched down and moved just off to side of ridge about 5yds figuring he would stick to spine....got behind bigger stump and lay flat watching. Griz kept coming and just before got to me he started sidehilling draw and passed by at about 10yds. I carefully shifted around stump to stay hidden. Passed right by. Hit my track uphill about 20 yds and stopped dead.....sniffed ground, and looked around....then followed my trail up to tree line from where I came out of bush. Was lucky wind was in my favour and saw him when I did. For no reason I can explain he dropped off that ridge and skirted right round me. Was lucky that day for sure. Just trying to point out how every situation is different....if I had made noise and waived arms etc, likely would have been entirely different outcome as I didnt have gun. Bear was in hunt mode and looking to fatten up for winter.
    Last edited by northof49; 01-22-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Re: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Stone C. Killer View Post
    When Grizz charge me I run away. So far has worked out lol
    Little P***k, still has good knees!!

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    If I come face to face with a Grizzly and it doesn’t immediately turn tail and run in the opposite direction it’s getting shot. I’m talking inside 50 feet close.

That’s my threshold. Doesn’t mean it was going to eat me but I’m not going to take any chances either. If one of us is going to have a bad day I’m going to do my part to make sure it’s not me and I’ll let the cards fall where they may after that.
    I used to hold off on shooting them, even at fairly close quarters, but now that they won't be hunted and will lose any fear of man, I'll just have to start shooting them.

I've had several really close encounters with g-bears. Only one with a black bear, oddly, that was shitty because he went into a thicket between me and the way out, making for an eerie feeling at dusk not knowing where he was.

I haven't had to shoot in self defense yet, and hope I never have to.

I talked about a few of these encounters with an EK CO over coffee one day and asked what he thinks is a "reasonable" threshold. He said every situation is different, and only you know when you feel your life/limb is threatened. His best advice: make sure you don't shoot it in the ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Thanks for all your input and advice.
    My thoughts were that if the bear came closer that 20yards and was still moving towards me I was going to start chucking lead.

I certainly won't be shooting it in the ass!! LOL

life or death
    your choice

hmm...I wouldn't know a fake charge from a real one. So I might start shooting as soon as it runs towards me.

shoot first and walk away no problem

Grizzlies are like people..no 2 are the same..personalities. ..as well they have bad days too..Mannies"grizzly..beat up with eye missing..
    After 30 plus years of dealing with bears..I also feel bears do not come into any situation with a preconceived game plan..it's impossible to determine what a grizzly is going to do in any given situation..because the bear doesn't know..untill he/she reacts..

Seen far to many instances where the bear did the unexpected...and heard far too many " sure didn't expect that "
    As hunters we wear camouflage. .walk into the wind and are using stealth techniques. .perfect scenario for an encounter of a grizzly kind.
    Be prepared..hiking..dealing with meat, sleeping...it'sgoing to be fast..nasty..when you least expect it. ..
    Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6..
    What's my comfort range is different for every other person..
    The last grizzly charge by mom and her darling pair of 2 year old juvenile delinquents there were 3 of us ..i realized much after the fact that the other 2 had far exceeded their comfort range but had delayed pulling the pin because I hadn't. .i had taken up slack pressure and was about to fire when mom veered off..
    Srupp

^^^^fact there was three of you likely why she veered off last second. More intimidating than only 1 or 2 guys.....every situation is different and need to understand all factors in play and read off bear. If charging 20yds is my threshold.....always carry 338mag with 250gr in G country.