Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comments.

Cool What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comments.

Last fall,
    I was hunting sheep in the east kootenay's,
    Early morning, I spotted 6 rams for a fleeting moment, I had the day, so I decided to go have a closer look.
    my path took me up some timber and onto a slide path, I climbed for 2.5 hrs till I found the sheeptracks in the snow, I worked the tracks slowly up the mountain until they went up into and area I couldn't be concealed, so I decided I didn't want to spook them into the next country. So I decided to head back down and see if I could relocate them later.
    On my way down, I was working my way down the treed edge of the slide path, when I came to break in the slope.
    I was moving slow looking looking, as I came over the edge. Immediately I saw 3 grizzly bears at about 200 yards, the wind was heavy in my face(so Im am thinking I good) so I sat just inside the trees looking at the bears with my Binos, three beauty sliver grizzlies 7' sow and two 6' Cubs, the cubs were almost as big as the sow. As I am looking, I snap a couple photos with my phone. They look like dots at that distance on the phone. Now I am trying figure out how I am going to get back down with 3 G bears in the way.Right Then

The wind must have swirled or something because one of the cubs stood up on its hind legs,
    then started booking it right up the slide towards one. He was closing the distance fast.

I knew to my right,about 100 yards thru the timber was another slide path. So, I moved quickly thru the bush to next slide path, I got to the path dropped down to the creek, then over to the other side.The slide was about 40 yards wide. I paused there looking and listening, the wind was still in my face from down the mountain, I was hoping, if I could travel down to where the two slides met that the bears would get my wind and hopefully move off. I moved down slowly, watching like a hawk at the direction of the bears.

Just then one of the Bears stands up at the edge of timber at about Forty yards looking across the creek and slide path at me. It was a tense moment. The bear dropped back down in the side growth on the side of the slide, where I couldn't see it. I continued moving slowly down the mountain after about 500 yards later
    I was able to see two of the bears, above the break in the slope. I was relieved but still weary. A hundred things were going thru my mind.

1. If the bear kept coming, how close would I let come before doing something about it.

2. Where should my shot placement be at close range. 140grn bullets from a 7mm.

3. What if all three came over? My gun only holds 3 rounds. I have 4 more rounds on my sling, but the first three better count. Remember, I
    just saw how fast they can up the mountain!!!

Anyway alls well that ends well,
    The bears continued on with there business and so did I. I found the 6 Rams the next morning and they gave me a better look
    the biggest one was 1" shy of full curl. Had him ranged at 178 yards. Bummer!

What is your Too close distance, to a bear in the Backcountry???

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comment

Hold your ground until you can no longer and then start shooting. Bear didn't get you this time but might next time. If you do shoot it I would be honest and report it though. Many wouldn't report it and I understand why but I think I would

Re: What would you do if you Encountered a Grizzly, what are your thresholds. Comment

Shoot first, ask questions later.

I was charged by a large male grizzly from 10 yds a few years ago, you do not have time to think about should I shoot or not shoot. if you have time to think about it don't shoot. your human survival will let you know. I did report it and had no problems with the co,s that came out with me to the dead bear, they said I did the right thing to shoot as that bear would have probably killed me. Steve! that story is on this site somewhere but don't know how to find it.

If this grizzly came at me and was fairly close to me and showed aggregation I would not even hesitate on letting lead fly at it plain and simple,,I have been lucky enough at most times to see them before they see me
    but the odd time its been a different story I came face to face with a few of them the first thing I did is ready the rifle or defender on fire then if time allowed me to get my bear spray
    cap off and ready when its on my belt..

I also pull my air horn out of my pack if possible and blow it lots of times with letting a bear banger go off as well this has worked for me a couple times it put a run on the bear
    the main thing that is the most important is always be aware of your surroundings keep out of thick bush as much as you can try to stay in open land where you can see a fairly
    long ways.

I avoid thick brush as much as I can when out in the mountains doing this I see bears a long ways out and when I do see a grizzly bear I freeze if they don't see me and wait for the
    right moment to back out and get out of there meaning 180 turn.
    Last edited by hunter1947; 01-19-2018 at 09:04 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

I really wouldn't know until it happened to me. Easy to sit in front of a computer and speculate. I've had some black bears come pretty close that I didn't shoot, because I really didn't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by webley View Post
    I was charged by a large male grizzly from 10 yds a few years ago, you do not have time to think about should I shoot or not shoot. if you have time to think about it don't shoot. your human survival will let you know. I did report it and had no problems with the co,s that came out with me to the dead bear, they said I did the right thing to shoot as that bear would have probably killed me. Steve! that story is on this site somewhere but don't know how to find it.
    webley

Join Date Sep 2008 Location North Okanagan Posts 68

Lumby Grizzly

I am the person that shot that bear,I want to clear up some of the reports I have read and heard.
    First is that my dog did not initiate this attack,she was about 10-12 yds in front of me is where she was trained to be and dose not chase anything. My dog did not even know the bear was there as I did not know.
    The dog is with me as I am getting up in age and my hearing is not that good anymore.
    Another report is that I shot the bear to save the dog, This is not true I shot the bear to save my life. It all happened so fast you do not have time to think, As soon as I saw the bear I hollered as loud as I could as it was going strait at my dog,the bear stopped and turned his head towards me and its hair went up on it,s neck and his eyes locked on mine and he stated towards me and I fired, he went down and got up again and I shot again and he ran into the thick bush just yards from me. I ran from where he went in, to give me some more room incase he came at me again.
    I went home and phoned the co,s office. I had to go and give a statement and the officer said they would meet me in the am to go and find the bear.
    Myself and two officers went to find the bear and had a time to find as it was quite aways back in the bush,my dog finally found it for us.
    I have to say that the two officers that were with me were very professional ,their first concern was my safety, and not at anytime did I feel intimidated by them at all,they were very polite and respectful all the time and did not try to put words in my mouth at all. I had the experience to be with these two gentleman the hole day and was a good experience, the co,s do not always get good press as I have read on this forum, but these two officers were at the top of their profession.
    I hope this clears up some of the confusion by the media. Thankyou !

I'm not prejudice, I hate everybody alike.

I have had really good relations with the CO's (only 1 came across as a jerk, but people are people), but most of them in a time like that are very understanding.
    I met a fellow once who had just taken a Boar Grizz, and was packing it out, and right at that moment got charged by a Sow (probably smelled the boar??), and he foolishly had his rifle slung on the pack, so he couldn't get to it quick, but just quick enough to drop the Sow at 10 yrds.
    CO's were great he said.

Curios "moosecamp", what was your "shot placement" like in that situation???
    I always wonder what would happen "when the time came to actually fire"?, and I understand the OP's concern about feeling "under gunned" with only a 140gr 7mm, as I too have been known for running around with a .270/140 gr.
    Which, now, when I hunt in GBear area, I have gone to a 300win mag, but, I am not really going up for sheep/goat,
    but targeting Elk, so the caliber suits what I hunt now.

OP, you did the right thing, and like someone said, if you have time to think about it, then do it like you did.
    But, like the other poster said, it's real easy to sit at the keyboard, but it can be way different out there.

This past season I was hunting is some thick bush....still hunting for blacktails with my crossbow in a bow only zone....was by myself which looking back was pretty dumb....anyways creeping along a small creek ...notice something in the thick region 2 moss ...and if you hunt it you know how mossy it is in thick timber....anyways ...saw some small movement eyes focused and once I realized it was a cub my heart was pounding ...instant sick feeling ..knowing my crossbow is ready but only have 9in heavy blade on my hip....just as that thought finished I saw the tan colored muzzle come through the bush...she turned her head and started popping her jaws....at 25 yards I already had my bow up yelling ....she zig zagged back and forth as the cub started up a bass of a tree...then she charged....I wanted and waited till she was closer knowing I only had the bow to make sure I shot it ...just as I started to squeeze the trigger she did a but and hook to the right...running back to her cub ...then faced me again...I thought for sure she was gonna charge again...thankful she didnt...instead she lipped me off a bit more then her and cub turned and left.....even being a black bear it was a hell of a situation....in the moment it was all instinct ...nothing more ....all I can say is stand your ground...dont fricken run.
    Last edited by scotty30-06; 01-19-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty30-06 View Post
    This past season I was hunting is some thick bush....still hunting for blacktails with my crossbow in a bow only zone....was by myself which looking back was pretty dumb....anyways creeping along a small creek ...notice something in the thick region 2 moss ...and if you hunt it you know how mossy it is in thick timber....anyways ...saw some small movement eyes focused and once I realized it was a cub my heart was pounding ...instant sick feeling ..knowing my crossbow is ready but only have 9in heavy blade on my hip....just as that thought finished I saw the tan colored muzzle come through the bush...she turned her head and started popping her jaws....at 25 yards I already had my bow up yelling ....she zig zagged back and forth as the cub started up a bass of a tree...then she charged....I wanted and waited till she was closer knowing I only had the bow to make sure I shot it ...just as I started to squeeze the trigger she did a but and hook to the right...running back to her cub ...then faced me again...I thought for sure she was gonna charge again...thankful she didnt...instead she lipped me off a bit more then her and cub turned and left.....even being a black bear it was a hell of a situation....in the moment it was all instinct ...nothing more ....all I can say is stand your ground...dont fricken run.
    Remember....Prey Runs!!
    That is for sure!
    Stuff like this always reminds me of the story, and the terrible outcome, of 2 hunters up in the Albert Rvr of the EK.
    Caught by surprise, and the gun jams.
    It can happen, and like everything in life, when your time is up....it's up.