Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wolves.....what about Cats......?

Re: Wolves.....what about Cats......?

When you think about it, Cats can get things done all on their own.
    Cool looking creatures for sure.
    More times then not Wolves and Coyotes require to get the job done in packs, not on their own.
    There was some research done on Bighorns in an area, an why the population off sheep was falling.
    Originally hunting was considered to be the problem, but stats showed that it was highly unlikely, but, poaching could have still been an issue.
    Anyways, in the end, it was never hunting related, it was 1 cougar who had learned how to kill sheep.
    This 1 Cougar was targeting only sheep, and the results were a "big drop in sheep #'s".
    Facts are facts.

Encountered this big tom this past spring while hiking in some super thick crap. Bumped him up out of his bed at 10 metres. Not often do you get a close encounter like this with a big tom.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Encountered this big tom this past spring while hiking in some super thick crap. Bumped him up out of his bed at 10 metres. Not often do you get a close encounter like this with a big tom.

They are incredible looking creatures.
    Love the markings and coloring on them.
    One of the best looking creatures in NA if you ask me.

That is an exellent pic dana, it look like he doesn't know your there in at least 1 of the pics. They are beautiful creatures, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    That is an exellent pic dana, it look like he doesn't know your there in at least 1 of the pics. They are beautiful creatures, I agree.
    He knew I was there because I almost stepped on him. I was talking to him as I grabbed my camera out of my vest and snapped a few photos.

That cat looks damn too close for comfort, how far away was the pic taken? K

Have a bunch of cat photos from a trail cam, but files are too big to post
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Hey Dana. Did the cat leave quickly once you bumped it? First thing I did was mentally mark 33' down my hallway. That's a pretty close encounter when both parties are unaware

He stood around uncertain what I was. He made one movement toward me and I had enough. I started baying at him like a hound. He turned to flee and with one jump he disappeared in the think stuff. Of course, he fled the direction I was heading. I called my partner on the radio and told him the situation and them backtracked, 'baying' as I went, keeping a close watch all around me. A few years ago, I had an agressive lion encounter and that was firmly engrained in my mind and I didn't want to take any risks on this one.

Good idea with the baying Dana...makes sense. Hadnt thought to di that
    …..better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.