Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Education, Speaking

Re: Education, Speaking

I think education people on the issue, while necessary, isn't the best way to do it... at the start. Think of when you were in school, having a teacher talk to you about something you had no interest in. In one ear out the other...

I think (and its been said here before) that we need to change the general public's perception of hunters. TV shows, movies, and stereotypes have portrayed us in a bad light. We need to change this. The quickest way to reach the most amount of people in this is being active in the community. Particularly large urban hubs. Clean up garbage, help those in need, ect. A lot of this stuff I know a lot of people already do but we need to take pictures and share it with the public. Social media is our friend. Let the public know about all the good stuff we do and are doing instead of quietly doing it in the background. Generate positive buzz around hunting and get people curious about what it REALLY is. Once people view hunting in good light and are curious they'll be far more receptive to sitting down and listening to scientific management. We're not going to educate and inform people all at once. Realistically it will take years of effort, but we have to take the small steps to reach the end goal. Take someone you've talked to hunting about out hunting with you and let them see what its really about. I work in a restaurant and I plan on taking some vegan servers who are pretty anti-hunting out with me to see what its all about and change their minds. Once they see it, even if they decide it is not for them (which they likely will), they will respect it and pass on the positive feelings they have towards it. I know alot of people want to start a program they can put money into and thats good too, its all good! However, what people value even more than money is time; if we're willing to put a few hours a year into positive endeavors like this it will go a long way in motivating people to learn more, which makes educating them easier.

I'm not saying whats been said so far is wrong, everyone has valid ideas and points. This is just my two cents on addressing the issue's at hand

With all that being said, anything around Vancouver I'm in and willing to come out and help for
    Last edited by Golddust; 01-23-2018 at 02:07 AM.