Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Education, Speaking

Education, Speaking

Ok, here's the deal. Anti hunting groupes have had and still have access to your children and are spreading their propoganda. This is a serious issue.
    WE need to do the same- period. Not just schools but public.
    Someone or a bunch of us HAS TO organize a quick topic menu, get moving and line up some informative evenings around the south province for starts and NOW.
    We can't NOT counter this, this is very serious.
    I'll do it. Believe it or not, I can shut the eff bombs up and make rational sense and have zero concerns about speaking with a crowd. This needs to be done. We need to speak to the non hunting, curious population and fill them in.
    Presently NO ONE is doing this except the antis.Get it ??.....this is a disaster moving right NOW.
    Someond has to get this happening. Figure out a recipe and deliver. I'm up to my nuts with this predation thing but I'd take part in informing a crowd of people along with others if someone takes this on !!

It really needs to be done.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Education, Speaking

I'm in. In fact I would love to get involved.

How do we proceed? Mainly how do we convince a group of possibly hostile people to sit in front of us and listen?

It should be more of an event than a chat. Maybe a wild game cook up. Invite everyone. Share our meat, stories and try to show people we aren't murdering heathens?

End of the day, I'm interested and I'll gladly talk about my life as a hunter.

Chris

My girlfriends 12 year old told me that grizzlies were going extinct. I had to have a long talk and explain how everything works. Something short form that's concise and comprehensive would help.

Great Idea...
    I would like to be involved or help out at events.

In southern BC this is needed big time. When my kid was in school in southern BC I had to correct myths from teachers regarding wildlife and hunting. Also had my son call out teachers for lying about wildlife and hunting resulting in him being punished till I got involved.

Since moving to northern BC teachers who attempt this are curbed fast. Every time these teachers were originally from the lower mainland

How do you reach this target audience and more importantly entice them to come out?

I'm not going to the Steven Wright show tomorrow because I wasn't even aware he was coming to town. Simply was not coming up on the social media streams that I follow.

How do we spread the word out? How do you convince people to actually come out. You know, the types that only come out if there are also free muffins being handed out.

More or less on topic I've arranged to take some euro's and a couple of hides to my sons grade 1/2 elementary class next week. Go over herbivores , omnivores , carnivores food chain type stuff.Teachers were very receptive to the idea.
    Not exactly a large public event but I'm hoping it will go over well and maybe there's enough interest to expand it a bit.
    But your absolutely right ..!!! Awareness and public education needs to be ramped up in a big way.

At work today 4 non-hunting coworkers who’d never tried bear ate my pepperoni.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

I would like to see some advertising coming from hunters. I would be glad to help pay for that. Its time to educate the public who we are and what we stand for.
    If wildlife management is based on public opinion and that opinion is based on what the public reads from animal rights groups, we are way behind.

I think its time we all put down the gauntlet of infighting. Trappers, Resident Hunters, Guides, Non resident hunters, Fishermen, Women, Kids, Families, need to come together in a fashion that makes our presence known. We need to put a face on who we are. We need to explain how conservation works, and make that connection to family life. To our heritage. We need to let the public know about organic, hormone free naturally raised protein.

These are just some thoughts I have. The other thing we need is to put direct pressure on the government to return to Science based decisions regarding wildlife. Put the science first, and follow thru on what the Biologist recommend. Improve Wildlife Habitat, fund it etc.

We need to fund an organization that can do things politically. We need ads in the Vancouver papers, making a point and selling memberships. We need them in every paper. We need to put a demonstration together at the Legislature, with speakers, feeding the homeless wild food.

We need to share our stories of families, hunting together, Guides roles in managing their areas, conserving for the future and raising and providing for their families. Stories about trappers, and the history of trapping, predator control, etc.
    There really is so much we could do politically if we had grouped our resources and began a publicity campaign aimed at getting the publics attention and opening some eyes.

IMO.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by proguide66 View Post
    Ok, here's the deal. Anti hunting groupes have had and still have access to your children and are spreading their propoganda. This is a serious issue.
    WE need to do the same- period. Not just schools but public.
    Someone or a bunch of us HAS TO organize a quick topic menu, get moving and line up some informative evenings around the south province for starts and NOW.
    We can't NOT counter this, this is very serious.
    I'll do it. Believe it or not, I can shut the eff bombs up and make rational sense and have zero concerns about speaking with a crowd. This needs to be done. We need to speak to the non hunting, curious population and fill them in.
    Presently NO ONE is doing this except the antis.Get it ??.....this is a disaster moving right NOW.
    Someond has to get this happening. Figure out a recipe and deliver. I'm up to my nuts with this predation thing but I'd take part in informing a crowd of people along with others if someone takes this on !!

It really needs to be done.
    So what word are you trying to get out. I talk to non-hunters quit often and can get them to see another side to things , but only takes one act or comment from the wrong hunter and its all for not. Trying to drive it down there throat or in there face doesn't seem to work. Showing another side to things does and being truthful helps also. A lot of what is put out by the non-hunting groups is very biased but so is stuff put out by the hunters. Much of what is said by both groups is just that talk they have never seen it or experienced it they just go by what they have heard. I take out new people every year both new hunters and non hunters, they are quit often surprised the way it is compared to what they have heard.