Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lower Arrow Lake Elk

Re: Lower Arrow Lake Elk

One of the biggest bull elk on record was found floating in upper arrow lakes. I’m thinking in 94? Around 460”’s too!
    Tell it how it is!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ~T-BONE~ View Post
    One of the biggest bull elk on record was found floating in upper arrow lakes. I’m thinking in 94? Around 460”’s too!
    The 'Duke' of arrowhead. Was something else! I know which drainage he floated out
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Just keep in mind that the season in the West Kootenays will most likely be:

Sept 1-9 Bow
    Oct 1-20

So unless you're bow hunting, you're going to be post-rut, which means finding the thickest, deepest, nastiest crap where they will be hiding and recuperating. They will not be parading around in cut blocks at that time, so think about deep draws and areas farthest from roads, etc.

Lots of roads above the lake on the east side, and one that runs along the shore, so you can either hike up or down.

I don't think anyone is going to tell you where to go, especially since elk are tough to come by here, but there are elk there. Do your best to do some e-scouting!

Quote Originally Posted by kootenaihunter View Post
    Sept 1-9 Bow
    Oct 1-20
    Wonder how this got past the round-table discussions to the proposal list
    G/o likely are against it also, who wold want to book a BC hunt not in the rut
    It stinks
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Sept 1-9 Bow
    Oct 1-20

So unless you're bow hunting, you're going to be post-rut, which means finding the thickest, deepest, nastiest crap where they will be hiding and recuperating. They will not be parading around in cut blocks at that time, so think about deep draws and areas farthest from roads, etc.

Lots of roads above the lake on the east side, and one that runs along the shore, so you can either hike up or down.

I don't think anyone is going to tell you where to go, especially since elk are tough to come by here, but there are elk there. Do your best to do some e-scouting!
    The regs say September 10 - October 20. Bow only September 1-9. Unfortunately, I won't be back from work until September 26, so I may miss the rut. Hopefully I can still catch the tail end. If it's the dark and dirty spots I need to go, I'll do my best. Hopefully we see something.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    The regs say September 10 - October 20. Bow only September 1-9. Unfortunately, I won't be back from work until September 26, so I may miss the rut. Hopefully I can still catch the tail end. If it's the dark and dirty spots I need to go, I'll do my best. Hopefully we see something.
    Check out the proposals for the next 2 year reg cycle....complete BS, why can region 8 uphold a 40 day 6 pt season but not the WK....and they only found one MU in the whole WK area to have a lower bull:cow ratio, and its sample size was small...I think it's from too much locals whining...yes there's elk in 4-32 but it can get really busy out there..

Oct.13 for my 3 bulls out 4-3?, all responded to calling and or had cows. We've had our best luck in the later season. I can only think of 2 sept bulls from our group in the Selkirk, monashee areas since gos started...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Well, .264winmag, that is certainly welcome news!
    Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    Oct.13 for my 3 bulls out 4-3?, all responded to calling and or had cows. We've had our best luck in the later season. I can only think of 2 sept bulls from our group in the Selkirk, monashee areas since gos started...

The Thanksgiving long weekend has always been a great time to call elk for me. Perhaps it is the second rut as i usually see bulls fighting.

Sept 1-9 Bow
    Oct 1-20

Quote Originally Posted by tangozulu View Post
    The Thanksgiving long weekend has always been a great time to call elk for me. Perhaps it is the second rut as i usually see bulls fighting.
    Tangozulu, I'll just swing out there and you can show me where you see the bulls fighting! I'll bring the turkey and stuffing! Sounds like a fair trade.