Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower Arrow Lake Elk

Lower Arrow Lake Elk

My brother and I are looking to do some scouting on the east side of Arrow Lake. Not too sure exactly where, but up high. We are hoping to kill two birds with one stone. Get some backpacking in and do some scouting in the area for Elk sign. If things look OK, we'll come back a few times through the summer and and get to know the area well before making any kind of attempt at a hunt in September. Just wondering if anyone had any knowledge of the area from both a hunting and hiking perspective? As neither of us know the area or anyone who lives in the area, any help or tips would be much appreciated. Neither of us have hunted Elk, but want to give it a try. I know that our chances of success on a 6 point will be low, but it's not just about the kill, and being out and away in the back country is what makes it all worth it. Have to start somewhere. Thanks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Lower Arrow Lake Elk

I’m no expert on he area but bro... it’s January. Let em hunker down and chill a bit. I’d venture that their winter range will be quite different from where you find them come September. Spring when they’re dropping calves would be the time to start in my opinion.

agreed Throwaway

Already excited for next falls hunt. I know the feeling. If u want to go high it will be near mid June before u get to explore. Depending on snow pack. I have had the sled out in early June in areas ur thinking about. With little time for vegetation to grow south slopes for food with good timber for cover to beat the heat. I got a camera on a hole that a batchelor group of bulls hangs out every summer (up to 8 different bulls one year) but come third week of august they are all gone. U want a bull find some cows.

Yes. That's just it. Just making early preparations for next hunt. I know that it will be June before we can get to the high stuff up there and have a proper look around. Not looking to get in there any time soon. I've been up to similar elevation not too far west of the area and even run into heavy snow late June, depending on the year. We might look around a bit lower down earlier in the year. More just looking for any info anyone may have on the Elk in the area in general and any other tips. I work out of the country month on month off so need to maximize my time as best I can. Thanks for all the comments so far though!

Also considering 4-32. I have a buddy with a cabin on that side of the lake that we could use as home base. He doesn't hunt so doesn't know a great deal about animals in the area. But if anyone knows if that side is worth my time....? Thanks guys.

There is no wasted time in the woods. Head that way in around june and start scouting.

I know there's Elk in 4-32, not tonnes but they're there. Some decent bulls I've seen come out of there, although I've yet to see one alive. I've seen good sign around mosquito lake. Seems to be a busy place last couple times in there, especially in oct the campsites were plugged full. Was some expensive grouse meat we collected that trip HA
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by Husky7mm View Post
    There is no wasted time in the woods. Head that way in around june and start scouting.
    I totally agree. Love just being out there. Hunting or not.

Quote Originally Posted by .264winmag View Post
    I know there's Elk in 4-32, not tonnes but they're there. Some decent bulls I've seen come out of there, although I've yet to see one alive. I've seen good sign around mosquito lake. Seems to be a busy place last couple times in there, especially in oct the campsites were plugged full. Was some expensive grouse meat we collected that trip HA
    Thanks for the tip. Lots of country out there to explore. I'll try and get into some areas on foot and see what I see. Always like exploring new country.