Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok just mallards

guest Guest

Ok just mallards

About 52 years ago, I started walking long side my pops while he hunted Wild Ringneck Pheasants and Waterfowl in Surreys Serpentine Flats .
    Great times and memories are still with me of those good old days.

Dad quit hunting locally for birds in around the late 60s, he said its getting too busy lol. But with my big brother and I constantly bugging dad, begging to join in with Ol Uncle Jack, and other friends, dads hands were forced yet again to get back onto birds.

Christmas of 72 Rolls around and I see this box about three feet long under the tree, I announce ...... Hey, that could be the shotgun I want! Dads reply, "shotguns are way longer then that. "
    No Dad they come apart! VaVoom! My bird hunting days carrying my own 12 gauge began.

Well it's basically became an every year occurrence and we've even being lucky enough to hunt the same land as Dad did in the fifties, although we seem to loose a little more every few years to development, farms selling, etc etc.

Theres still some great bird hunting to be had, although the Coyotes have taken a huge toll on the Pheasants and we even don't see the Foxes we used to because of the Yotes and urban sprawl. The pesky Yote dogs are still around though and we hammer them from time to time given the opportunity.

But the Waterfowling remains good, consistent to say the least. Although a drop in Pintails many many years ago, the variety of ducks is good. Canada Geese have became a big pain in the butt to local parks and schools and their numbers remain high, and having three separate openings on them, allows those that do their home work more chance at bagging some of the big birds.

As for ducks though, another season is close to finished . Friday the 19th of Jan locally here it will all end until October. But, if you can get out, one or two more times, set up them deeks, get well hidden into the surrounding landscape, use your well tuned trickery of calling like I've learned these past 50 plus ........ And you can still have a great shoot.

Today, I got out on a late start, I prefer mornings but ya do what ya can. Buddy had been out at daylight and did well but around ten the birds stop flying. So finally in position at about 2:30, I waited ....... A few came in and around, a number of Pintail and Widgeon, I passed as many of them landed in the decoy spread ........ Thus was going to be another one if those, let's be picky days lol.That said ......... I said to myself ......

OK JUST MALLARDS ........ Finished with my 8

what a great way to appreciate good local Waterfowl hunting, still after all these years.

CT
    Last edited by guest; 01-17-2018 at 09:08 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Ok just mallards

Curly,

I would love an opportunity to get out with you next year. With two young boys, 5 and 2, I want to make sure I'm passing on that tradition and while us dads do our best with what public land we have available, like you said it's all eroding and getting chipped away - so an opportunity to hunt the Serpentine here locally would be an amazing experience.

Cheers,

Ben
    Last edited by deltawaterfowler; 01-17-2018 at 08:58 PM.

damn is that what i missed out on !!!!! well done sir.

Posting for curly top....

Just mallards with my trusty old 870 wingmaster....

A beautiful night flight on the Serpentine Flats

https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

guest Guest

Thanks SSS.

Wow, a few studs in there, well done Curly, you got it figured out! K PS, I hope that old blunderbuss is tubed or you're gonna blow yourself up! K

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    Wow, a few studs in there, well done Curly, you got it figured out! K PS, I hope that old blunderbuss is tubed or you're gonna blow yourself up! K
    Ya I had this one done as it was made in the fifties..... Mind you the smith said it's been shot so much he hardly had to touch it. My 3inch mag was built in 1980, it's like brand new condition so I had it modified, as I use it for geese.
    Thanks for worrying about me...... It's so nice to know....... You care..... Mowhaha!
    Thanks K
    CT

Good shootin’ CT. Nice bunch of quackers there. And great pic on the Flats...

I went to my spot yesterday and the birds just wouldn't come into the decoys like they did last week, but I noticed they were coming across the field about 200 yards east of me to land in the next field over which was more flooded.

So I abandoned my blind and dekes and moved. Hidden in the grass at the edge of the ditch, pass shooting, managed to get five mallards by noon, which was about as many as I felt like plucking. Got six last week which got me sore fingertips.

No widgeons yesterday, which was funny. The week before they were coming into the decoys in flocks.

I took my Browning Gold Hunter out for the first time this season too. It shoots differently than my 870 too, so I assume that's what accounted for more misses than I liked.

guest Guest

Got out for a while today, wasn't as picky. Was hoping the wind stayed strong but died after first light.
    It's been fun yet again.

Good luck to those getting out on the last day tomorrow.

CT