Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leupold vx5hd cds

Leupold vx5hd cds

Anybody have any feedback good or bad on the vx5 hd cds, 3-15×44 illuminated?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Leupold vx5hd cds

no but im going to be putting one on my new custom 300 wsm so Ill be watching this thread

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Here's a Cpl pictures of a VX5 HD 3-15x44 on my Kimber Montana 6.5CM, I really like the scope so far, seems to hold a zero and track well, only criticism I have is under the windage adjustment cap there's a rubber seal that seals the cap to the scope and the rubber seal pukes out the side when you tighten the cap, seems a bit hokey for a $1300 scope ?

this model doesn't have the Fire Dot but I have it on my VX6 HD so far it ok but haven't tested it out in any hunting situations, not sure it's necessary but time will tell if any benefit to it I guess.

7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

nice WF!!! another beautiful rifle you got there like the looks of that scope and its not too heavy eh

Quote Originally Posted by monasheemountainman View Post
    nice WF!!! another beautiful rifle you got there like the looks of that scope and its not too heavy eh
    Thanks MMM, No its not terribly heavy, surprisingly it balances pretty well, I certainly like the extra power at the range when I'm shooting to 300 yards.

Are you running med talley lightweights?

Quote Originally Posted by donny.brooke View Post
    Are you running med talley lightweights?
    No they are Low Talley's, they work fine for up to 44mm objective's, I put Med Talleys on my sons Kimber as his Objective is 50mm with his Swarovski scope.

I have a vari x6 3-18x44, not a vari x 5 but I think still relevant.
    Really like the scope, so much I ordered another one. Should be here Friday. The one I have is the firedot, I ordered the varmint reticle in the new one, gonna put it on a 300 RUM.
    Great glass, even around the outside edges. Relatively lightweight at ~22 oz.
    i have 3 huskemaws and love that system for hunting but this new CDS with the illuminated reticle that flashes if the gun is 1 degree off level is wicked. I love the locking turrets, no worries about them turning in the scabbard. I have had that happen in other scopes. It's a great scope, don't think I would change anything. The vari x 6 also comes with scope caps that are magnetic, no click when it opens

Great scope. I will be getting one this year. I think the illumination is key, as this model has a black reticle, unlike the bronze coloured reticle in a vx-3. The black disapears to easy in low light on dark coloured animals. Locking cds dial is nice too, always seem to bump my dial off on my vx-3

It's been my experience during last light that the illuminated reticle makes it harder to settle xhairs on game. The brightness of the reticle seems to trick my eye to blur out the animal. I've owned 3 different illuminated ret scopes and always just defaulted to a lower magnification for low light killing, with both heavy duplex and fine duplex. I've even tried the lowest brightness setting. For me personally it's a gimmick.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..