Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Finding Bow Sights

Range Finding Bow Sights

What's everyones thoughts on the new "range finding bow sigths" ?? I saw some video of the Garmin Xero and IQ bowsights Laser Range finder from the ATA show.
    Ethics ?
    Functionality?
    Whos buying one?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Range Finding Bow Sights

I won't buy one ,don't need that much technology to hit something at 40 yards. The price alone (1500 can) is out to lunch for the average bow hunter I know.
    Last edited by Hunter gatherer; 01-15-2018 at 08:22 AM.

Any idea that reduces the wounding incidence is good . But each degree of newer and newer technology removes a bit of the "archery" element and more of a hands off mechanical thing .
    Good and negative on this one , but good has the edge !
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

Cool Re: Range Finding Bow Sights

I'll letcha know my thoughts... IF they manage to incorporate this technology into a reasonably priced crossbow scope!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Try the ezv. I have one on my carbon knight. Takes some getting used to but works

It's a cool sight but I will never use one for one reason alone. If the batteries crap out, if it won't range through thick fog, etc, you're screwed - there's no pin to even hold on target. At least with a conventional rangefinder / sight set-up, if your technology craps out, you can still guess the range and pull off a shot.
    Hunter | Hunting/Wildlife Photographer
    www.nicktrehearne.com

Ethics not going to get into this other then if functioning correctly it could improve accuracy but could also give those with poor hunting ethics confidence to take shots beyond their skill level. Used correctly no ethics issue to me personally

Functionality well don’t know till you try them really. One issue it is increasing reliability on technology and technology fails and the more you rely on it the more helpless you are when it goes wrong. Biggest mule deer of my life I missed after slipping and knocking out my sights during the stalk. That was relying on simple technology with a lower risk of things going wrong

Will I by one hell no but after years of shooting compound I find when I pic up a bow it’s my recurve because of its simplicity and knowing if something fails it’s me not technology

Your call but to myself it’s another gimmick In attempt to replace the archers skill for technology. When out hunting I trust the reliability of myself vs technology having a glitch or breaking. That old rule of keep it simple stupid is best when out in the bush hunting in my opinion

I have a Vendetta for sale for cheap ...
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by The Hermit View Post
    I have a Vendetta for sale for cheap ...
    Lol me too

seems to me hunting in general is relying more and more on technology than woodsmanship and hunting skills.. the hunting shows more and more show people using tripods to steady their rifle , crossbow etc. ozonics and such. 500 plus shots at game. I am old school I guess. Yes the technology makes for more success. but is that what hunting is all about ? We all hunt for different reasons ..so this is not about starting a debate. Give me my longbow or recurve.. I shot at a 3d shoot with compound shooters and there accuracy was fantastic out to 60 yards..I am good to 30 yards on a good day...made a few further on game and missed a few closer ..LOL