Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Do it yourself euro mounts let’s see em!

Re: Do it yourself euro mounts let’s see em!

Beauty mounts guys, some real nice spreads on those bucks there Brian and Bigripper..

Quote Originally Posted by tyreguy View Post
    What are you using to get them so white? The set on the right looks so bright
    I just keep them.voated in salon40 for 5-6 days. Seems to work pretty good

I used hydrogen peroxide......after boiling and pressure washing, in the pot with the H2O2 only took about an hour..

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here's a cool one that I did, don't see a velvet euro everyday

That is cool.......

Goretsky, What did you do to treat the velvet? I hear that you're supposed to inject formaldehyde into the veins under the velvet to flush out the blood and prevent it from rotting, but honestly, who has formaldehyde? Curious if you used something else .... like maybe rubbing alcohol?

Harry, you need to touch up the bases that you bleached. Did you not wrap them up before submerging the skull or did it just leak through? A brown wood stain and a Qtip can work well for this as long as you apply it in moderation.

Potassium pergamanate from the pharmacy will also work on touching up the antlers.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Goretsky, What did you do to treat the velvet? I hear that you're supposed to inject formaldehyde into the veins under the velvet to flush out the blood and prevent it from rotting, but honestly, who has formaldehyde? Curious if you used something else .... like maybe rubbing alcohol?

Harry, you need to touch up the bases that you bleached. Did you not wrap them up before submerging the skull or did it just leak through? A brown wood stain and a Qtip can work well for this as long as you apply it in moderation.
    Did some reading on the internet before I did it, split the tips of the tines with a knife, hung it upside down for a day, supposed to drain the blood (although none came out), rubbed it with some borax and stuck it in the freezer for 2 weeks. Then I boiled the skull and put it in front of the wood stove for a week to dry out. Been 6 years and no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post

Yes your right, thank you....I did wrap them it just soaked through slightly...

Thanks for the inspiration guys. I have a nice bear skull to mount - pics are in my album, but I can't seem to post them. I will figure it out and get some pics when it's mounted.
    Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets...