Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Official Predator Thread

2018 Official Predator Thread

Was waiting until I actually killed a pred to start this thread but with the way I've been shooting lately, that day might not ever come.

Please share your predator hunting adventures.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 2018 Official Predator Thread

I took this female in an area of region 3 full of open rolling hills where the nobs were 10-25 feet in height. I was with two other hunters and we had no choice but to walk through the open area trying our best not to spook free ranging cattle nearby. When we were about half way through the area we noticed the cattle spooked and made a stampede out of the area. We didn't get the sense we did anything wrong (other than walking past cattle) as we were walking casually and giving them quite a lot of space, but we assumed it was normal and due to us. However, they spooked away from the direction we were heading so we were happy but a bit confused. Then about 30 seconds later this wolf appears in front of me on a nob of a rolling hill at a distance of about 125 yards. I immediately think farmers dog, but then I check the tail, the height of the legs, the size of head, and I think "oh shit, wolf!"

Just as I literally think "oh shit, wolf!" this large female stares right at me and decides to drop some scat. I'm exposed, completely in view, and my buddies are maybe 30 yards behind me somewhat exposed. We all stand still. I kneel down and raise my rifle, wait for her to stop defecating, then as she's getting out from her squat and turning broadside I shot. As soon as I did, I see 5-6 other wolves within 25-50 yards of me running zig-zags all over the place. They were at the lower elevations using the knobs to their advantage. I never saw them. As they're running I take a 2nd running shot but miss. I look back and my buddies are standing there silent with rifles at their side...I then proceeded to ask them why the hell they didn't warn me there were 5-6 other wolves so close to me and they said "we thought you knew!" But I didn't, I had my eye buried in my scope. In a kneeling position with what I assume was a wolf distracting me, I was lucky they didn't get any closer before I shot.

My wolf was poorly gut shot (despite the long setup time) and it ran 100 yards before bleeding out at tree line. I pull it back out into the field and begin to skin it. The smell was unbelievable. As I am, the forest is full of howls. Really erie and sad howls. As we're keeping out eye out, a large grey wolf appears just at tree line and watches us. I'm about 1/3 way through skinning. I tell my friend to take a shot. As he's getting ready the wolf steps out into the open and lets out a big howl that really gets the others in the pack who are still hidden in the forest rowdy. From a distance of about 150 yards, my buddy misses his shot just high. The wolf runs back into the trees but the howls continue and we can hear branches snapping in the distance. This all happened about 2hrs before darkness. After dark we head back to camp which is about 1.5kms away and we hear the wolves howling all night.

My only success on a wolf. I had a 2nd chance up near the prophet river but couldn't get a shot off before two wolves spotted me.

Truck bed is 6.5ft full size.

[IMG]IMG_3666 IMG_3659 IMG_3661
    Last edited by 604ksmith; 01-15-2018 at 08:19 PM.
    What goes around, comes around. Think first, and always act with respect.

I will partake in this, this year ! My son really wants a BB and with all the BS going on, it’s on ! A friend also picked up a real nice pred caller and can’t wait to take it out. The area we are going to go for BB has some good wolf sign so maybe we’ll get lucky
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

haven't made it out yet, maybe later this month. 223 is sighted in and ready to go. Good work everyone
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Wicked work folks! My partner and I took a coyote but couldn't get to it lol, he shot it up on a hill that was too steep and snowy treacherous to get to the dog, with our 4 and 5 year olds lol....well get it when the snow melts and the kids ain't with us...

Saw one yesterday hiking with my 5 year old and of course I didn't have my gun..

Nice Bobcat my oldest boy and I got a couple weeks ago. Ramshot

Nice cat Ramshot! Did you guys call him in or just run into him in the bush?

guest Guest

Was out with a friend helping the Ungulate population in 3-13 yesterday ......... What a great day!

One of each ....... Yote, Bobcat and Lynx ..... Huge smiles all round!

A huge thanks for the time out there TM !

maybe he can throw up a few pics
    Last edited by guest; 01-24-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by curly top View Post
    Was out with a friend helping the Ungulate population in 3-13 yesterday ......... What a great day!

One of each ....... Yote, Bobcat and Lynx ..... Huge smiles all round!

A huge thanks for the time out the TM !
    Nice work! any pics?

had an area in 3 13 that had produced well in the past. This year we took the kids up and there was nothing but dog tracks on every road. big Change in deer numbers for sure.