Page 64 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

Re: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Surely you don't believe that there are only 300 antlerless white tail taken a year from region 3. If the number is actually 300, it's because there a so few left. I've studied a lot of research relating to the relationship between he two species Unlike a lot of people on here I've tried to do so with an open mind. I also live and hunt region 3 in an area that used to hold a decent population of white tail.
    Just doesn’t match your observations somewhere so must not be happening eh blacklab. Give us the real number then.

Another question for you. IF hunting of whitetails is killing them all off in region 3 or anywhere else for that matter, shouldn’t the harvest also drop? Must have dropped to almost nothing by now given your observations.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    I can attest to the numbers in Jasper. The migratory herd is basically dead. All the wildlife is located on the highway or in town. Why? Because it is safe. They have done the habitat approach. Burns. Lots of them. They have had numerous prescribed burns and a few natural burns. These burns are virtually void of wildlife. A little over 300 elk is currently stable only for one reason. PEOPLE! The elk are where the tourists are. They would much rather live with selfies and people reaching out to touch them than live in the wilderness areas where they will die. What do you think their mule deer populations look like. Virtually extinct if not for town and heavy tourist areas. What about sheep? Again, they would rather stand in the middle of the highway licking pavement in traffic jams than go where the wolves are going to eat them. Moose? Numbers are deplorable. Caribou? Not smart enough to hang out with tourists. Herd has declned and declined and declined. Grizzlies? They are also hitting the highways more than ever before. Why? Because they have learned that is where the calves are. Back when the Park had thousands of elk. Food was plenty for the grizzlies. Not so much now. All this beautiful pristine habitat with no critters. Begs the question, why are we even protecting it?
    Herds must be stable enough for did they not allow a FN hunt there this past season.

One must also look at the group that is trying to persuade us to give them $$$. I recall being told 3 years ago, 'Don't worry Steve. We are not looking for regime change. We are just trying to scare the BC Liberals'. How'd that work out for ya? Now, i'm supposed to trust the very people that brought in this NDP/Green alliance?

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    Herds must be stable enough for did they not allow a FN hunt there this past season.
    How many animals were they allowed? 10 IIRC. How many did they kill? 5. They were only allowed to hunt a remote area that was away from the tourists. Not the greatest hunting in an area that has heavy wolf presence.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    How many animals were they allowed? 10 IIRC. How many did they kill? 5. They were only allowed to hunt a remote area that was away from the tourists. Not the greatest hunting in an area that has heavy wolf presence.
    So there is animals in these remote areas away from tourists, yet in your other post you say "All the wildlife is located on the highway or in town"

With some human fear there would likely even be more wild animals dispersed away from the human presence...
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

This area was just across the very shallow Jasper Lake from the highway. Some wildlife venture back and forth across the lake. Remote only because it is a gravel road that takes you there and easy to close off from tourists. Not really backcountry if that is what you were thinking. Front country with less tourist traffic because of the gravel road. Less tourist traffic means the wolves hunt it. But it isn't far from the highway. If you go through the highway on a hot summer day, you'll see dozens upon dozens of people walking in the shallow water, playing, taking selfies, kite surfing you name it. People walking to the opposite side all the time.

LBM,
    You are always taking the position that everyone is lying to you. I don't blame you actually given the BS that is spewed on this site daily by several of the regulars. I used to think you were maybe a troll. I can say my mind has changed. You are just trying to find the truth and questioning the way you do is actually good. It makes people have to back up what they are saying. And that, that is a good thing.
    Last edited by dana; 02-02-2018 at 10:05 PM.

[QUOTE=Ourea;1979917]
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post

I am starting to question the sanity of some.
    When do I ever state I want to exterminate WT.....WTF?
    Kill them off to starve preds???.....WTF?
    The only consistent statement I make is they are a resilient species.
    I cannot speak to your area as I dont hunt it.

If the WT doe season was cancelled tomorrow I wouldn't give a care.
    If attractants were banned for WT I wouldn't give a care.
    I have no agenda.

I simply offer insight and endless videos and pics of what I see in the field to help others.
    If regulation changes for next yr I will report what I see.
    Capiche?
    And I'm with ya, maybe some think I hate the WT and want them exterminated because I support our short antlerless season, but no, I don't hate them, I love them for how beautiful of a deer they are, for the challenges in hunting they bring, and for the excellent table fare they have provided myself and my family....just because certain people support the wt antlerless season, basing their opinion on the resilience of the species, as well as field observations, doesn't mean that they want them exterminated..

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    We kill an average of 1157 antlerless whitetails per year in 8. And our population is thriving, with some stomper bucks being taken and harvest of both bucks and does increasing. Counts show populations stable to increasing. Grandby count was way up this year, 30 - 50% higher than the past 15 years. Christian Valley count in the middle of the busiest hunting area of the region, is bang on average and harvest continues to hoover right around 600-700 deer, same as it has for 15 years.

Hell, we kill as nearly as many does in the one MU of the Christian every year (280) as are killed in the entirety of region 3, yet you spew crocodile tears.

I get it that some people just don't like to see the other guy shoot a deer, but don't bullshit us about no deer left.

Maybe you're doing it wrong. Maybe you need to kill 1157 does per year too. It's sure working here.
    Yup....and according to the MOE, overall the WT are still increasing in reg 3 as well..

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...t_18_Final.pdf