Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

Re: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    You tell him how it is Danny he only has more current boots on the ground experience there than about anyone and I'm not talking about private property.
    Now you are just being silly .... Back to the topic .

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    Two things wrong about this , first all the wt in your area are only still there because they are on private property in the "ville" and two , the wolves have just started to show up .... give it a few years ...
    Funny thing about wt, if they don't want to be seen they won't be. Hang a cam up anywhere on crown land around there and bam there's nocturnal wt on it. Hunting em is a different ball game. Once the preds show up they go into survival mode. Ya lots of fawns get eaten, then lots of twins n triplets show up in the spring. They are rabbits, big tasty handsome rabbits.
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

Not bad for 6 years

https://i.imgur.com/uqwiGv6.jpg
    The only advantage to a light rifle is it's weight, all other advantages go to the heavier rifle..

From my understanding, in some parts, WT's aren't really supposed to be there anyways.
    The end up competing with Mule Deer, and I think they say Mule Deer usually lose that battle.
    So, if that's the case, I am fine with taking out WT's so the don't over expand their territories.
    I know I sure don't want to see loss of Mule Deer, just to have WT's only in the area one day.
    Also, think about it, the WT's must be pretty resilient species, as the "have expanded" into areas they "did not exist in before" (atleast not in a long long time, if ever).
    If they were being" hunted to 0", they never would have expanded in the first place.
    As for R4 and R8, I can speak or every nook and cranny, nor can many, if any here, but I do agree, in some areas the wolves and other Preds are onto WT's for food for sure, as I have seen it in the scat, and others watching the dogs chase the WT's, especially in the winter months.
    If the Bio's come back and say they we are running low on WT's in R4/R8, then I will accept that fact, and things should be changed accordingly.
    I do know that the WT's in the area I hunt, can be hard to spot, and it really does seem like numbers are low, but then several days late, boom, there they are, and I think it is that they are just adapting to wolf presence, and staying more hidden in reclusive spots...IMO.
    But if one thinks there aren't enough Does, then just don't hunt them, just as I do, but that's my choice.

As for GOS fro wolves, all year round, sounds good to me and I will add to that:
    Remove the "Vehicle Restrictions" after the Regular hunting season for other species is over! (Jan to Sept).
    How the heck can "most hunters" target wolves when the vehicle restriction makes it extremely difficult for anyone to get in the backcountry without horses, and who the heck is going to trailer up horses every weekend just to hunt wolves??
    Let's just hope there are a lot more Fires to come in the next few years, as waiting for the government/ministry is a waste of time.
    Let's just hope that people and there property don't get hurt, but hey, what else can be done?
    Should be the Ministry doing these burns in "controlled fashion".

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Sorry Wayne, but I'll go with the professional opinion of every wildlife biologist in North America, including Geist, instead of some clowns on TV that seem to fall off a roof, get their snowmobile stuck, or chop off a finger on every show.

Just choose to pick the theories that fit what meet your opinion but honestly most are guilty of this

The truth is there are studies/theories that support and discredit BCs management

The 10% ratio on mule deer is a big one only state that has any support I have found is Washington but they still manage at 15% min adult buck goal for winter counts and other areas a goal of over double that. Most areas have management plans with 25%+ min on mule deer ratios

Only support in the study in Washington was when a population of 10% was studied no drop in overall population happened showing possibility of stability but no increase in population under this ratio

Odd study found in region 5 here in BC in the past was showing past changes to regs were because many MUs were falling shy of the goal of 20% min ratio in region 5

Strange I remember a bunch of people on this forum blaming GOs and hunters wanting restrictions and this was all special intrest group agenda. No talk of counts showing ratios that fell shy of goals set by BC bios. No talk that the rut closure and other changes were implemented because of ratios falling short of management goals

Like I said a guy looks into things you find contradictions to basically everything and scientific facts to support it

Do we have agendas being pushed with BCs management seems odds are pretty good

Not bad for 6 years

https://i.imgur.com/uqwiGv6.jpg
    I'll say ^

Other than the tendency to drop twins and triplets white tail will also go into their first heat as young as 7 months old and some get bred that young. And they're also the most communal as far as raising young, other does are willing to adopt orphans. Its no wonder they're the only big game animal in BC right now that is expanding its ranges in a big way.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    I'll say ^

Other than the tendency to drop twins and triplets white tail will also go into their first heat as young as 7 months old and some get bred that young. And they're also the most communal as far as raising young, other does are willing to adopt orphans. Its no wonder they're the only big game animal in BC right now that is expanding its ranges in a big way.
    You bet, we witness all these tendencies right from our doorstep. They definitely stick together for survival.

So, how's it been going in R5??
    That Closure for 10 days has been in effect for quite sometime now?
    And the 4pt Restriction has been present for as long as I remember.
    So, are there deer all over the place now up there??
    (yes I'm talking mulies and this is a WT thread, but since others are bringing it up).
    By now, there should be tons of deer up there.

Follow up response from okanagon BIO... see questions and reply below ...
    Hi Scott, we are subject to a few of these campaigns each year, although usually by the anti-hunting groups. We have pretty good population trend data for white-tailed deer to support continuation of the season but we are interested in doing a public survey to understand if the provincially-coordinated seasons are still supported by the majority of hunters. My discussions with the BCWF suggest that the majority of hunters still support current management objective to maintain antlerless hunting opportunities and manage with science. There are currently no proposals to change seasons for the 2018-2020 regulation period. We are currently doing our EK Trench elk inventory and will interesting to compare WTD observations to past surveys.

Take care,

Patrick

Thanks for the reply!!

I appreciate you taking the time.

Is this shutting down of the doe season campaign gaining traction? Is this a possibility for the future even though numbers have been shown to be stable?
    ______

How about enlightening this member of the geriatric crowd.
    Where do white tail go when they become nocturnal? Do they have dens like coyotes or do the roost in trees like turkeys?
    How do they not leave tracks in the snow once they enter their nocturnal phase?

If whitetail aren't supposed to be in region 3, why are they here?
    Moose were't here either till the 30"s. Should we try to wipe them out as well to save some Caribou?
    Oh, I forgot our widelife managers already tried that one.