Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

Re: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

Quote Originally Posted by BCrams View Post
    Fisher Dude has nailed everything and is in the loop. It is unfortunate some are not able to understand and grasp the picture and issues we have. .

Butcher - I can think of a few spots which could use a burn or two I think it’s great the wt pockets are bare to minimal in fringe areas. A good cat harvest at this time would help wouldn’t it seeing as it appears wolves have moved on.

Re: wolves. Everyone recognizes they are and have been a problem. However, outside of caribou recovery areas, heli control is likely not going to happen. Eventually there will be an equilibrium balance of sorts and by acquiring funding to work on key areas for habitat enhancement. (Some areas are good but we can do better)

if every hunter came together as a group and said let’s work on what we can control, (including increased cat harvest with habitat work), it can and will happen.

whitetails - not worried about them as a prolific species and I would rather see them at a level which allows for Mule deer to be present without having so many whitetails around feeding predators that in turn feed on Mule deer.

It has taken some some adjustments to hunt wt.

i have seen what “stock piling wildlife” in the peace where the hunting was pretty incredible but die offs occurred. I did not want numbers to return to seeing 100-200 deer in fields as I knew it wasn’t naturally sustainable. This time around we’re dealing with predators.

There’s a balance and achieving the balance means doing things like habitat work so that both wt and Mule deer can survive within a predator / prey landscape or equilibrium of sorts.

My take anyways.
    What would you know with a lifetime career in wildlife ?

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

guest Guest

Well said BC Rams and FD.

for those of you that keep refusing the facts and figures ......... There's a saying ..... You Can't Fix Stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by curly top View Post
    Well said BC Rams and FD.

for those of you that keep refusing the facts and figures ......... There's a saying ..... You Can't Fix Stupid.
    Go look at the jasper elk numbers along with the enhancement measures smart may be the the new stupid. One tiny bit of the equation missing and it is all wrong.
    Last edited by horshur; 02-02-2018 at 07:55 PM.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Go look at the jasper elk numbers along with the enhancement measures smart may be the the new stupid. One tiny bit of the equation missing and it is all wrong.
    Again, wolf predation in the park. I would say the elk numbers were a bit naturally too high at the time pre- wolves. Things have balanced out a bit more. Jasper in previous years was like seeing 200 deer in the fields up in the peace. Sure it was great! But ..... like Yellowstone elk when wolves took off. No different. Or Oureas elk valley. I am sure he didn’t like it. But he accepted preds had a role and eventually elk will return. Maybe just not at numbers like in the past in his experience. Sort of like the guy who wants to see 50 whitetails running around in daylight.

The sooner people recognize and accept this the sooner everyone gets on board to work and push for funding to do what we can control. Tired of seeing all the reg changes over last 30 years that never achieved anything.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go."

-- John Muir

guest Guest

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    and again.

This is has nothing to do with the facts presented by FD and BCRams....

Quickly go back to the repair shop, they didn't fix anything.

Quote Originally Posted by 338win mag View Post
    I have hunted wt in region 8 where I grew up for more than 40 years and live in region 3 now for 25+ years, I have never shot a wt in region 3, I have never shot a doe since the gos on does in any region, I have shot them when we had a leh season for them. I'm trying to wrap my mind around what others are thinking is all, i will sort through the bs as it comes.
    Are you as a resident of region 3, happy with the white tail regulations in region 3. Have you seen any benefit to the mule deer or white tail populations? Are you happy that more liberal bag limits and seasons are attracting greater numbers of hunters than the more conservative seasons and bag limits in region 8?
    Why would you hunt in region 8 but not at home in region 3?
    Just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by curly top View Post
    and again.

This is has nothing to do with the facts presented by FD and BCRams....

Quickly go back to the repair shop, they didn't fix anything.
    Exactly..they didn't fix anything. Look at jasper. The mantra is to grow more wildlife..show us where this has happened with wolves on the landscape
    you are asking for money ..so what will the returns be? Be honest? Will it be we have a healthy sustainable herd with a six point season on it? Cause there is no room for additive harvest.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

When those guys had the mule deer camp..they were hunting a mnt that burned in 1926. Has not burned since in spite of local efforts to get a prescribed burn..so what the hell how is that possible?

I can attest to the numbers in Jasper. The migratory herd is basically dead. All the wildlife is located on the highway or in town. Why? Because it is safe. They have done the habitat approach. Burns. Lots of them. They have had numerous prescribed burns and a few natural burns. These burns are virtually void of wildlife. A little over 300 elk is currently stable only for one reason. PEOPLE! The elk are where the tourists are. They would much rather live with selfies and people reaching out to touch them than live in the wilderness areas where they will die. What do you think their mule deer populations look like. Virtually extinct if not for town and heavy tourist areas. What about sheep? Again, they would rather stand in the middle of the highway licking pavement in traffic jams than go where the wolves are going to eat them. Moose? Numbers are deplorable. Caribou? Not smart enough to hang out with tourists. Herd has declned and declined and declined. Grizzlies? They are also hitting the highways more than ever before. Why? Because they have learned that is where the calves are. Back when the Park had thousands of elk. Food was plenty for the grizzlies. Not so much now. All this beautiful pristine habitat with no critters. Begs the question, why are we even protecting it?

Lastly to the smart guys where is precedent that numbers will stabilize? cause if you look to the past there has been intervention ..do you guys actually know it will stabilize or are you taking a illogical leap that it has to?