Page 30 of 67 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

Re: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Everyone has to be careful when they have a Doe tag that's for sure.
    As for Wolves and other Preds, I think no matter what we put into place for restrictions, it isn't going to help as much as taking care of those dogs.
    Only real positive was some of those fires...IMO. (and I say that understanding some folks paid a hefty price for that).
    But if the ministry would take care of those issue properly, I doubt we would see half the squabbling that we do on here.
    i agree with this ^^^^
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Those studies supporting whitetail doe harvest in the southern states, did they have any listing of heavy wolf predation?
    Not wolves, but this study the predation was coyotes and bears....and in this study they found no evidence that antlerless licence allocations had to be reduced to offset predation
    http://www.pgc.pa.gov/Wildlife/Wildl...opulation.aspx

Considering it was fawns that had the highest mortality....is that the case in northern reg3 with wolves??

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Harry you have some research but missing things

BCs WT are no different then other WT of the North western subspecies ( exception is Dakota subspecies in the North east BC). But the big difference is the density and populations elsewhere are often higher.

Part of BCs WT populations are not at the level to apply the management BC is using and BCs theory on why they are applying the management is very debatable.

WT in BC are a scape goat for BCs MD issues. Dig deeper here and it makes a guy go WTF. I can tell you for a fact many MUs are not meeting goals set. BCs MD are managed very poorly, selective data used, and based off selective parts of other management systems.

There is a lot of things about BC I don’t post because I have been asked not to

You have passion, some knowledge, and hearts in the right place but there is a lot more going on then you see
    You could be right, thanks for the insight...I don't think the predation is near as bad down here where I am in the south..

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    I wonder how many hunters take a moment to make sure the doe they have their sights on doesn't have a fawn close by. More than once I have let a doe pass, as after watching it for a couple of minutes, it's fawn walks out.
    I have passed on quite a few due to this...I believe many others do as well..

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    A Short Doe Season! Have you done the math? Region 8 Antlerless Oct.10-31+ Youth Nov.1-30 Archery Dec1.-20 That's what you call a sustainable number?

Talk to any Bios and they will all tell you that the quickest way to drop a deer population is through a Antlerless Season. Do you want to pull up that information for you?
    And how high do you honestly think the harvest is during the youth and bow seasons?? The benefits of a short doe season for whitetails is a better buck:doe ratio, which usually leads to breeding occurring at about the same time, so predation on fawns has less effect....other advantages are better fawn:doe ratios, better herd genetic biodiversity, and usually more mature bucks...pretty much everywhere I go in region 8 the whitetails are the last critter I'm concerned about....

Quote Originally Posted by Walksalot View Post
    I wonder how many hunters take a moment to make sure the doe they have their sights on doesn't have a fawn close by. More than once I have let a doe pass, as after watching it for a couple of minutes, it's fawn walks out.
    X2 but lots of humans don't give a sh+t they shoot the doe anyways even when they see the doe has fawns I have witnessed this many times but there is nothing I can do
    I I confronted them would turn into a big argument with rifles present..
    Last edited by hunter1947; 01-23-2018 at 05:28 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Ive seen it said on here by the time this whitetail doe season rolls around the young ones are already capable of fending for themselves is this not entirely true?

Quote Originally Posted by .308SLAYER View Post
    Ive seen it said on here by the time this whitetail doe season rolls around the young ones are already capable of fending for themselves is this not entirely true?
    Yes, that is true, but are they capable of hiding from wolves and not being a stand out target without the protection from mom is the real question. We just read in the new moose studies that the bios were surprised by how much calf mortality there was in april and may. Those are almost yearlings. Has the whitetail fawns suffered the same fate? What about the muley fawns? Are the wolves killing yearling late winter because they are easy targets as mom kicks them out to get ready for birth?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Harry you have some research but missing things

BCs WT are no different then other WT of the North western subspecies ( exception is Dakota subspecies in the North east BC). But the big difference is the density and populations elsewhere are often higher.

Part of BCs WT populations are not at the level to apply the management BC is using and BCs theory on why they are applying the management is very debatable.

WT in BC are a scape goat for BCs MD issues. Dig deeper here and it makes a guy go WTF. I can tell you for a fact many MUs are not meeting goals set. BCs MD are managed very poorly, selective data used, and based off selective parts of other management systems.

There is a lot of things about BC I don’t post because I have been asked not to

You have passion, some knowledge, and hearts in the right place but there is a lot more going on then you see
    Who asked you not to post these "things"?..... An individual, a group, club?
    I have entertained your musings with an open mind, now I'm puzzled.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    Yes, that is true, but are they capable of hiding from wolves and not being a stand out target without the protection from mom is the real question. We just read in the new moose studies that the bios were surprised by how much calf mortality there was in april and may. Those are almost yearlings. Has the whitetail fawns suffered the same fate? What about the muley fawns? Are the wolves killing yearling late winter because they are easy targets as mom kicks them out to get ready for birth?
    True dana, but do you really think mom is capable of protecting her fawns/calves against wolves? maybe I guess to a point but, where I hunt Whitetails the wolves have absolutely destroyed the Whitetail pops, and interestingly...from my observations killed alot of the beaver too, I can tell by the dead beavers I found, either beaver parts, or just dead beavers.
    Not sure whats going to happen with a down turn in beavers in that area.