Page 26 of 67 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

Re: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

Can any one tell me, anecdotally is fine, how many whitetail were taken in regions 3,5 and 7 say 40 50, or even 60 years ago? Basing opinion of what has happened on the last 10 to 20 is just to short of a time frame to establish a pattern. If I look at the old maps they are certainly in more areas they used to be. How many whitetails did some of the more experienced hunters on this forum kill around 100 mile house and Merrit in the 70s; how many did your parents kill in the 50s? To say there has been a collapse in the last 10 years could be very misleading if they didn't really appear in any numbers until 20 or 25 years ago. They may have expanded to into areas that traditionally couln't have supported them and now are returning to a more traditional range.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by labguy View Post
    "a sure sign of increasing population?????" This is close to being the most assanine comment I've read of your more than 19,000 posts.

Of course the harvest is increasing because the doe seasons are increasing. You can now shoot anything that moves.

If your happy shooting a doe standing 50 yards off the road with her fawn by her sid, then your idea of quality hunting is a lot different than mine.

Whatever credibility you have enjoyed on this site is eroding rapidly with idiotic comments like that.......
    Doe season hasn't increased for 7 years.

You should read your regs once in a while.
    Last edited by Fisher-Dude; 01-21-2018 at 03:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
    Can any one tell me, anecdotally is fine, how many whitetail were taken in regions 3,5 and 7 say 40 50, or even 60 years ago? Basing opinion of what has happened on the last 10 to 20 is just to short of a time frame to establish a pattern. If I look at the old maps they are certainly in more areas they used to be. How many whitetails did some of the more experienced hunters on this forum kill around 100 mile house and Merrit in the 70s; how many did your parents kill in the 50s? To say there has been a collapse in the last 10 years could be very misleading if they didn't really appear in any numbers until 20 or 25 years ago. They may have expanded to into areas that traditionally couln't have supported them and now are returning to a more traditional range.
    I have 30 year data on that.

R3 = about 100. 2016 = 1080.
    R5 = about zero, lol (1988 there were 4 killed in all of the region), in the early 2000's there were 11, 18, 9...you get the picture. 2016 = 135.
    R7 = about 300. 2016 = 1411.

In 30 years, region 3 harvest has gone up 10-fold, region 5 up 30- to 35-fold, region 7 up 4- to 5-fold.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by horshur View Post
    Lmao I am surprised this was not put out by the BCWF when this season was first proposed years back

How are moose and mule deer doing in Saskatchewan and Alberta?
    They must be close to extinction, there's been white tail there for quite awhile.

Cool Re: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    How are moose and mule deer doing in Saskatchewan and Alberta?
    They must be close to extinction, there's been white tail there for quite awhile.
    Interestingly enough, moose have been colonizing areas once recognized as the domain of the whitetail in Saskatchewan (parkland strip and south through the agricultural lands). Kind of interesting to see moose wandering around wheat & barley fields!!

And in Alberta, there are places I hunt that the mulies TOTALLY dominate the whitetails. Yep, the smaller cousin is and has been there for decades, but there is no way in hell they'll ever take over the badlands and major river coulees from the Mulies.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Interestingly enough, moose have been colonizing areas once recognized as the domain of the whitetail in Saskatchewan (parkland strip and south through the agricultural lands). Kind of interesting to see moose wandering around wheat & barley fields!!

And in Alberta, there are places I hunt that the mulies TOTALLY dominate the whitetails. Yep, the smaller cousin is and has been there for decades, but there is no way in hell they'll ever take over the badlands and major river coulees from the Mulies.

Cheers,
    Nog
    Habitat is what dictates which is dominant WT or MD nothing else

But in BC the laws of nature don’t apply lmao

It will be "fascinating"to see how long the doe seasons last now that the pressure is off mule deer.