Page 17 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

Re: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    WT don't push out mule deer.

What WT do is support high cat populations that should instead follow the ebb and flow of mule deer populations.

That is a death sentence for mule deer.

Lets not get into this one we will never agree and there is evidence for both sides of the argument.

What WT do is support high cat populations that should instead follow the ebb and flow of mule deer populations.

Is there an easier predator to target than cougar ?? If its that simple , knock the cat population down to x number per sq km .. fixed .We can have WT And MD

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    Is there an easier predator to target than cougar ?? If its that simple , knock the cat population down to x number per sq km .. fixed .We can have WT And MD
    That is crazy talk tackle a predator issue by targeting the predator no way that could work lol

But the theory of removing secondary prey species to lower impact on primary prey species that is brilliant

Even when the theory fails elsewhere. Even the scorched earth theory removing majority of prey species to impact predators has failed and this is the same principle on an extreme level

But hey it will work here in BC lol

Really wish BC and BCs hunters would start using the practice of cross referencing

Instead of that theory looks and fits our agenda

This one, I am having trouble with FD.....if WT are wintering where MD traditionally winter, then they wont "push out" MD but rather, outcompete them...as we know ( or at least I learned as a youngling, bad winters do the most damage to deer pops due to food supply issues...and WT breed faster to repopulate...

I highly suggest reading the bio reports from the western states and their management practices and findings, years of good reading available on the web. They have way more money invested and have a lot more studies and evidence for wildlife management strategies. Our BC bios are under-funded, so we have to live with the limited science based studies they can produce.

I think the real battle we should be all calling is for more funds and an independent wildlife management program (as promised by out going libs) to boost all populations and management. Better to band together than splinter over petty issues.

The recent doe propaganda method is not going to help hunters, whether or not you support the doe season. It's hurting our image, whether or not the intent for that is there. There are better ways to have your opinion heard, but at the end of the day, leave it to the pros.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle View Post
    This one, I am having trouble with FD.....if WT are wintering where MD traditionally winter, then they wont "push out" MD but rather, outcompete them...as we know ( or at least I learned as a youngling, bad winters do the most damage to deer pops due to food supply issues...and WT breed faster to repopulate...

This theory of WT removing nutrition from wintering grounds is the only theory I could find evidence of success lower WT numbers to increase MD. But this is not the issue WT cause in most of BC

Cant find any proven success on BCs plan lower WT numbers to lower cat predation on MD(primary prey of cats).No one can provide proven success of this management theory just the theory it self. I can find examples of the theory failing though

And I support the WT doe season in strong populations under the results of theories with proven success

So this is not coming from a guy who thinks shooting WT does is wrong

Quote Originally Posted by kootenaihunter View Post
    I highly suggest reading the bio reports from the western states and their management practices and findings, years of good reading available on the web. They have way more money invested and have a lot more studies and evidence for wildlife management strategies. Our BC bios are under-funded, so we have to live with the limited science based studies they can produce.

I think the real battle we should be all calling is for more funds and an independent wildlife management program (as promised by out going libs) to boost all populations and management. Better to band together than splinter over petty issues.

The recent doe propaganda method is not going to help hunters, whether or not you support the doe season. It's hurting our image, whether or not the intent for that is there. There are better ways to have your opinion heard, but at the end of the day, leave it to the pros.
    And contritions to BCs management is common reading those theories and they contradict each other state to state
    Last edited by Wild one; 01-19-2018 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Typical comeback from FD.
    I have no problem with hunters from any where. Like I said have a look at the rational for the mule deer bag limit changes. By their own admission there has been a notable increase in hunters in region 3. This increase seems to coincide with the increased white tail opportunity.
    I can't say if increases traffic coincides with the WT opportunity.
    I can tell you for a fact increased traffic happened when R5 closed for 10 days.
    Then suddenly R5 opens, and things go back to the way it always was as far as hunter traffic.
    And in the R3 MU's I have hunted, no one is there with a WT tag, unless they have already tagged out on MD in R3.
    Most guys carry a WT tag like me, because it is a carry over from my earlier R4 hunt.
    IF I see a mature WT, well then, bang flop.
    But, it's MD that have always been there, and that's why most of us from the LM are up there in R3.
    Otherwise, we all go to Rock Creek/Cherryville..oh...and Clearwater.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    I can't say if increases traffic coincides with the WT opportunity.
    I can tell you for a fact increased traffic happened when R5 closed for 10 days.
    Then suddenly R5 opens, and things go back to the way it always was as far as hunter traffic.
    And in the R3 MU's I have hunted, no one is there with a WT tag, unless they have already tagged out on MD in R3.
    Most guys carry a WT tag like me, because it is a carry over from my earlier R4 hunt.
    IF I see a mature WT, well then, bang flop.
    But, it's MD that have always been there, and that's why most of us from the LM are up there in R3.
    Otherwise, we all go to Rock Creek/Cherryville..oh...and Clearwater.
    Lots of guys carry a WT in region 3 just in case can’t blame them either. No doubt some go just because there is a season for WT does as well. But the later ussally sees low success because lack knowledge on WT in the region