Page 9 of 67 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

Re: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

People need to get out of their truck. Some of my “hotspots” are viewed by most as not good spots with no deer.
    Have seen way more whitetails this year then ever. No shortage what so ever. If it’s not my last tag and i see a doe with no fawns it’s going in my freezer.

The people with no meat in their freezer at this time of the year need to ADAPT and quit complaining of low deer numbers. I have seen more deer this year then any of my hunting seasons.

the only time i sit for whitetails is around nov 18th watching a whitey doe ferd that is clearly in heat..now thats bait.worth sitting on.

ferd -feed

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    i guess it depends on the hunter. I have zero patience for sitting longer than 15 mins. I hike a lot and have never had a problem seeing them in the thick stuff, and them giving me an easy stading shot at under 40 yards. we don't have many whitetails in this neck of the woods but I seem to always fill at least 1 tag, many times 2 tags. Way easier to hunt than timber muleys.
    Absolutely , same in the okanagan ... nice to spot them first but if I jump a wt buck , they are fairly predictable and almost always get an easy shot .... just not near as many around now .... time to let the does make a few more for a few years ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dannybuoy View Post
    Absolutely , same in the okanagan ... nice to spot them first but if I jump a wt buck , they are fairly predictable and almost always get an easy shot .... just not near as many around now .... time to let the does make a few more for a few years ...
    They will keep having twins and triplets.
    They will only become harder to hunt, because that's how WT have learned to survive and thrive.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    They will keep having twins and triplets.
    They will only become harder to hunt, because that's how WT have learned to survive and thrive.
    I saw 5 mature whitetail does walking across a large field last week. Way out in the middle, way away from the timber edge of the field. What is one take away from this sighting? Hmmm, not a single fawn around. Many times twins and triplets don't keep on growing, surviving or thriving. Many many times they end up as wolf scat. Think about that. 5 does should have at least 2 fawns. That is 10 deer that should be part of a herd. Nope! Zero out of the 10 survived. As those wolf weary does age, there will come a point when they die as well. Now, zero deer left in your herd. That, my friend, is what is happening in most of the province right now. Zero recruitment. And you deceive yourself thinking all is fine. I am still seeing mature deer. And then one day, there are no mature deer because they all died, if not from predators, from old age.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    I saw 5 mature whitetail does walking across a large field last week. Way out in the middle, way away from the timber edge of the field. What is one take away from this sighting? Hmmm, not a single fawn around. Many times twins and triplets don't keep on growing, surviving or thriving. Many many times they end up as wolf scat. Think about that. 5 does should have at least 2 fawns. That is 10 deer that should be part of a herd. Nope! Zero out of the 10 survived. As those wolf weary does age, there will come a point when they die as well. Now, zero deer left in your herd. That, my friend, is what is happening in most of the province right now. Zero recruitment. And you deceive yourself thinking all is fine. I am still seeing mature deer. And then one day, there are no mature deer because they all died, if not from predators, from old age.
    When I have cam evidence and field observations, in my local WT area, I will support your claims.
    That is not the case to date however.

I seldom find a doe without a fawn, most have twins.
    I run 20 plus cams and I am in the field several days a week dana, so the intel is pretty solid.

Wolves are new arrivals here and are scratching in this area.
    I will be the first to wave the flag when I see recruitment failing.
    I will be last to jump to conclusions.

Wolves are here.
    They are sticking to the 3000 ft + line for the most part.
    We have bighorn sheep here.
    There lies a major concern.

Will see how this plays out.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    When I have cam evidence and field observations, in my local WT area, I will support your claims.
    That is not the case to date however.

I seldom find a doe without a fawn, most have twins.
    I run 20 plus cams and I am in the field several days a week dana, so the intel is pretty solid.

Wolves are new arrivals here and are scratching in this area.
    I will be the first to wave the flag when I see recruitment failing.
    I will be last to jump to conclusions.

Wolves are here.
    They are sticking to the 3000 ft + line for the most part.
    We have bighorn sheep here.
    There lies a major concern.

Will see how this plays out.
    My friend they are coming! I was first waving the flag back in the mid 2000's. No one listened. I was mocked and ridiculed. They came and they came and they came. For numerous years I believed we could weather the storm as I still saw mature wildlife. Then, in an instant, that belief was replaced by an gut wrenching realization that I was very very wrong. The collapse had taken years but it really wasn't dramatic until it was complete. Please, heed my words, and get working on those dogs. Now!

Wonder what happens when those sleds start playing around at the lower elevations, ask your Bio buddy what happens then. Seems like theirs more to the declines with every passing season.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Great article, did you happen to read the last part on Page 566, seems like the same results as the Alternate Prey Study used for Revelstoke.

Inconclusive needing further study.