Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

Re: Whitetail doe season... is it time to take end it?

Habitat and predation.

The rest of this crap is b.s.
    Blacktailaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    We should note that Alberta, that panacea of deer breeding, has 40% of its land privately held, with hunting at the discretion of the landowner, and with huge tracts of land under agriculture providing a smorgasbord of deer feed.

Compare that to BC, which has 6% of land held privately, with the other 94% held by the Crown for purposes other than growing crops that feed sojourning wildlife.

Is it any wonder that the harvest and management regimes are different between the two jurisdictions?
    Go experience Alberta’s crown land I actually proffer crowland out there for WT and most hunting overall. Western Alberta is very similar to eastern BC. Never ending timber and Rockies

East of hwy 2 way different and I don’t use the east as a comparison

Not talking just Alberta on ratios keep trying lots of other place in North America keeping higher ratios

Same path for BC is your choice this is clear

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    What I am stating is a deer management practice used outside of BC

This is not my personal theory it has be studied and put into practice. The claim is stronger survival rate of yearlings and overall health. Not stated in study but could see does benifiting as well as they will have more time to rebuild their own health after giving birth. This is giving both fawns and does more time to build fat reserves during months of food sources of highest nutritional value available

Stronger health and bigger reserves going into winter VS slightly more nutrition over winter

Really not a crazy theory

often hear claims of fawns being born late in BC as well

Continue down the same management theories in BC or consider other options that’s the call that BC needs to make

My opinion you cannot expect different results doing the same thing over and over.
    Personally I am more eager to give habitat enhancement and predator control more of an opportunity than changing a widely accepted buck:doe ratio, but if shown convincing evidence of what is claimed here, I would consider it as well. Could you please direct me to the study that showed a difference in % of does bred early vs late based on buck:doe ratios. Where in North America do they manage to 25-30 bucks:100 does?
    There was a time I thought all parties that cared for wildlife and habitat conservation could find common ground. I was wrong. Adapt....

Quote Originally Posted by Everett View Post
    A bunch of freaking morons there is no shortage of WT deer in the east kootenay just a lot of lazy hunters who will not walk 50 feet from there truck to hunt a deer.
    Listen to this man. I see all kinds of does in season, I will not shoot one with fawns but I ALWAYS find a big fat single. No shortage of Whities, they are just learning to stay low. Way less bucks though than 14 years ago.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

So, are some here saying WT #'s are down???? Really???
    See no reason to be changing anything as of yet in Regards to WT.

Haney,BC and anywhere you can hunt in BC out of the rain !

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    Personally I am more eager to give habitat enhancement and predator control more of an opportunity than changing a widely accepted buck:doe ratio, but if shown convincing evidence of what is claimed here, I would consider it as well. Could you please direct me to the study that showed a difference in % of does bred early vs late based on buck:doe ratios. Where in North America do they manage to 25-30 bucks:100 does?
    This is a study I would love to see in print also
    7mm PRC soon to be the most popular cartridge in North America

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    ^^^ another example of not hunting WT effectively then making assumptions (no disrespect intended).
    Another hunter could have approached the same area(s) differently.
    Sit.

Walking around trying to fool a WT's radar......you lose 9 out of 10 times....and I am being kind with the 9 out of 10 assessment since we can toss lead at does. I don't hunt the Kootenays but hear such conflicting experiences.

A contact of mine was sharing his 80 yr old dad's latest Kootenay hunt. That batch of cronies were 5 for 5 yet some that hunted the same area are outspoken over the lack of deer. Somewhere there is a consensus.
    well both me and my partner came home with bucks..so this hunter didn`t just stomp around .
    Better a sister in a w#ore house....then a brother with a mathews .

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    ^^^ another example of not hunting WT effectively then making assumptions (no disrespect intended).
    Another hunter could have approached the same area(s) differently.
    Sit.

Walking around trying to fool a WT's radar......you lose 9 out of 10 times....and I am being kind with the 9 out of 10 assessment since we can toss lead at does. I don't hunt the Kootenays but hear such conflicting experiences. .
    i guess it depends on the hunter. I have zero patience for sitting longer than 15 mins. I hike a lot and have never had a problem seeing them in the thick stuff, and them giving me an easy stading shot at under 40 yards. we don't have many whitetails in this neck of the woods but I seem to always fill at least 1 tag, many times 2 tags. Way easier to hunt than timber muleys.

i agree with dana without bait..i harvest 2 whitetail bucks a year in region 3..mostly hiking thick secound growth.

not saying oureas system doesnt work we just csnt access fruit like you can in the north thompson.