Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hike in Caribou

Hike in Caribou

Good afternoon everyone! I've been working these last couple weeks attempting to plan a caribou hunt for this upcoming season. It has always been my dad's dream to harvest a caribou and i figured that we should make it happen this year. As funds are a little low I am trying to plan a hike in or possibly canoe in trip. I have been looking at google earth and old posts extensively for areas to hunt. Would we have a better chance at finding a bull in the northern rockies (7-50, 7-51) or go Dease lake way into 6-20, 6-23,24 ? Any info on general areas, caribou hunting tactics and anything else caribou related would be fantastic! or just post your caribou hunting stories so everyone can get anxious and excited for the upcoming season!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hike in Caribou

Caribou feed at the speed you run.

Counting points can be hard good optics that country is open..

Buy a cart don't just think you can back pack it.

Lots of big bears.

PM sent............

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    Caribou feed at the speed you run.

Counting points can be hard good optics that country is open..

Buy a cart don't just think you can back pack it.

Lots of big bears.
    ^^^
    This here, they are heavy, even deboned!
    Unless you plan on taking atleast two trips to get out the animal, and camp, dont hike in too far.
    I hope you do well, and definetly get yourselves into shape, if not already.
    Sorry i dont have any info on hiking in, in either region.
    I see VLD has some info for you

Well I hope when you do connect with a good area and get a caribou you tell us the story. The chance to take your dad out on his dream hunt in itself is pretty awesome.

how far do you want to go? how long do you want to spend on your trip?

A story will definitely be coming after the hunt is finished! As far as distance in the province I will head just about anywhere. I think I would have from the 29th or 30th of september up until the 9th or 10th of august to spend on the trip or I can go from the 14th to the 19th of august. Hopefully between the 2 of us we can get a caribou out in 1 load but I wouldn't have any hesitations to make a second trip in to get all the meat. Would it be better to go earlier or later? I have more time later so that was going to be my preference

Good luck on the trip. As posted, caribou are big critters when compared to a sheep or goat, etc. Two guys on a hike in trip with gear will be loaded pretty good with a ram, let alone all the meat, horns, cape (if taken) from a bou. We shot 2 of them in the same day and had a pretty decent hike back down to our lake and it was a ton of work for sure. A guy almost regrets shooting them both on the same day, but the pain is short lived and it made for a cool story on the trip.

Two guys can handle a caribou and horns, but once you start dealing with camp and gear I'd imagine you're pushing any limits to doing things. Add in a cape and it becomes near impossible for 2 guys plus gear. Not sure the type of shape your Dad is in, but something to consider when hauling big loads or planning on coming out heavy. But as posted, plan for two trips and you can make it happen.

Some awesome country up north regardless and you can sure have a pretty cool adventure in either region. I cant wait to get back up there for a bou/moose combo hunt sometime!!!

A caribou and camp between two guys resulted in a cracked pack frame and a trip to the seamstress to stitch the shoulder straps back together.

So far as spots, you'd be way better served flying in somewhere around the Dease lake country - will make for a much more enjoyable trip.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela

A backpack caribou trip i went on a couple years ago, there were 3 of us. We were able to carry (1) cape, antlers, meat and camp, barely. Probably one of the shittiest pack outs I've had. Super Heavy. Go to Region 6, fly into any lake near the big plateaus.
    Last edited by DawsonCreedmoor; 04-02-2016 at 05:34 PM.
    Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards, hunt hard!