Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How important is a good camp and regular meals to you?

Re: How important is a good camp and regular meals to you?

All types of camps are great. From a tarp under a tree to a wall tent with generator, they all have there place and I enjoy all of them. As I get older the wall tent camps are a favorite! And as far as meals, I like the midnite suppers! That means you had a great, busy day!

Quote Originally Posted by elknut View Post
    Well I'm for comfort and good food..I have a travel trailer for my camp ..We cut a couple of pickups of firewood for our hunt ..Meat pole is setup before all hunts..Get up early and have a light breakfast before heading out before dawn ..Bring a lunch and some juices and coffee for the hunt ..Hunt till about 2pm then back to camp ..About 4:00pm make a real good supper ...Steak or chicken or hamburger but a full meal deal..Then about 5pm head back out to hunt till after dark..Head back to camp and enjoy the fire and have a drink with partners ..Discuss days hunt then go to bed ..Don't like to have a big meal after dark then try to sleep..Does't work for me..On off really ugly days have the full meal bacon or ham and eggs fried potatoes and coffee..Must admit being a contractor before I retired I could take a month off to go hunting..My partners did the same ..We really enjoyed the time hunting ..Didn't have to rush it..There are good days and there are off days and never forced myself to hunt the crappy ones..This is our annual elk hunt from opening day till late Sept..Never burn all the wood ...but we get our elk most every year..The elk aren't around everyday they can disapear and act like there are no elk then suddenly they are there..Good food ..good camp ..weather proofed..and we are ready for the 8 inches of snow to the + 26 C hot weather we get ..Dennis.
    That sounds like heaven....

Yah Happyjack..Been doing this for 15 years..The elk hunt is the real enjoyment...When I was an employee I only had two weeks and like most on this site hunted hard and ate whenever..Slept in canopies and also a wall tent ..When I got my trailer it made life so much easier..I am 71 almost 72 and don't rough it anymore..Too many sore bones now ..Still hunt hard and sleep real good in a proper bed..A hunter has to work around his limitations and make the best of his resources...I have worked hard all my life for what I have and now I can enjoy my later years in Heaven ..But I do know one thing..You have to have Priorities and that will determine your comfort ..Only one swing around then to dirt so will enjoy it for another 10 years I hope...Dennis

https://imgur.com/HOzPbzf
    I always carry this in my pack because a hot meal or a cup of tea warms the cockles of my heart.
    Sooner or later I am going to get this posting pictures on lock down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    Depends where and what time of year for me.

This pic is my version of roughing it. Minimal setup, that way I can bug out in minutes if need be.

This camp was at 5200ft mid Oct.

Looks like you're packed to the hilt! Unless you're just out grouse hunting where does the animal go?? LOL

Ha Ha! If its a monster buck, I would break it down, you know the drill.. If it's warm out, I bring a 120qt marine cooler to boot...
    Last edited by Ohwildwon; 01-18-2018 at 12:25 AM.
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post

Ha Ha! If its a monster buck I would brake it down. If it's warm out, I bring a 120qt marine cooler..
    Now-a-days I'd be quite concerned about ticks leaving that cooling deer for a warmer body.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    Now-a-days I'd be quite concerned about ticks leaving that cooling deer for a warmer body.
    pretty sure he's not sleeping with it.
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Awesome pic, even has a snuggly blanket on him!

Whether hunting near vehicle or backpacking, quality food is always key for me and something I won't cut corners on. I just don't have enough energy after a day of hiking/hunting if I am living off of hotdogs and ichiban. As far as camps go - I am all about less work at the end of the day. For backpacking, it's usually either a bivy or a 1-man tent. For day trips, I usually just lay the seats down and crash in my vehicle.
    Hunter | Hunting/Wildlife Photographer
    www.nicktrehearne.com