Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How important is a good camp and regular meals to you?

Re: How important is a good camp and regular meals to you?

As mentioned earlier in the thread, time of year and type of hunt changes how and what I eat. Early season means quick little meals. Late season means bigger, heartier meals. I fine when I am hunting I have to force myself to eat, I am seldom actually hungry.
    WSSBC Monarch Silver Member
    WSF Summit Life Member
    RMGA Life Member

The mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir

as a kid growing up my summers revolved around fishing, light breakfast, fish sunrise to sunset, bike home, huge dinner, repeat...have carried that pattern into my adult life, sunlight hours are for fishing and hunting, not for cooking

obviously not for backpacking, but for truck camping I like real meat and real food, prep/precook/package individual meals at home so I can cook faster and clean up faster....couple drinks and dry snacks during the day is enough for me

older I get the more I value sleep, I sleep in the truck on most trips, gear is packed into large rubbermaids that are fairly weather proof, they get tossed on the ground or ontop of the canopy and I have my bed setup in minutes....biggest improvement I got this past year was a thick memory foam from surplus herbies to fit in my truck bed, made a vinyl cover for it and have a dirt and water resistant mattress for about $100....very comfortable, huge improvement in sleep quality, I get going a lot faster in the morning now....I can sleep comfortably in the truck down to about -10, after that the tent and stove get setup for long trips
    Unfortunately, the rifles are getting lighter because we are getting heavier and more unfit as a society. This is the key to the mainstream acceptance of the short magnums. - Nathan Foster

During hunting season camping is always either solo or with one other person and for a number of years now it's a hike in destination. My hunting partner and I each bring our own small two-person tents(in my mind perfect for one guy and gear). We pick an alpine lake that we can fish for cutthroat during the afternoon so we usually supplement the mountain house with fish and sometimes my partner packs a shotgun instead of a rifle and we often manage a grouse or two. Breakfast is pretty quick and simple tea and porridge with some dried fruit, snacks are my own trail mix and homemade jerky, supper gets pretty elaborate if we've managed to shoot or catch something. I used to sleep in my truck but I really like waking up in the alpine or subalpine and hunting from there.

I did the tent trips, had enough of that at my age. The best is an 8 foot truck camper, totally self contained with heat and cooking facilities. No need for totes full of stuff at all. These days the old okanagan camper rides on a flat deck and the atv rides in the truck box. Pull in, level out and camp is built. For longer trips we hang a big tarp and have outside cooking facilities. Oh, and you can find those old campers with heaters, fridges and stoves...for around $500 bucks.

The only guys that won't eat are usually display problems with alcohol....we always have at least 2 feeds per day. Sometimes it's something simple and other times its a full meal deal.
    Last edited by HappyJack; 01-11-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Not very important to me. I can get by sleeping under the canopy of my truck and a big jar of nuts for a couple days Oh, gotta have good coffee though. Always have the Coleman and some grub to cook if I feel like it often it doesn't happen. If I'm not alone we usually cook up some supper only.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

If I'm hunting early season out of my tent trailer I usually eat a quick brekky such as cereal and/or fruit, usually pack an easy lunch and snacks to keep hunting and scouting throughout the day, and come back to camp mid afternoon for an early dinner before heading out for last light...if I'm hike in hunting I sleep under my sil tarp, usually don't have elaborate meals, the odd package meal like mountain house but usually just lots of jerky, nut mix and dried fruit..

On extended trips in the bush i need the security of a warm, ample bed. Im not into the ultralight thing for bedding if possible, if i fall out of the boat and need to warm up my bed will be my savior

I used to crawl under the truck or canoe in my younger days, now I like the tent with a good stove. I like to cook and usually have some darn good meals.
    It used to be I had to bring meat home for the family and I took very little with me to keep the cost down. Now it is my holiday and I don't cheep out on the grub!

I grab whatever is the easy thing to fill me up for dinner my dinner is always after dark and I don't feel like cooking up a big meal so I have a hot dog or sandwich a drink of rye when I get back after an evening hunt morning breakfast is a sausage roll and a cup of coffee with a muffin lunch time is usually a sandwich or a can of soup with crackers I snack often when I am in camp..
    Last edited by hunter1947; 01-12-2018 at 05:56 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Guess we are still in the "glamping" stage where we station out of a well equipped base camp. Enjoy our comforts I suppose. We go wall tent with cots and a generator. I need good sleep or I struggle.. usually not the next day, but the day after that - it's a cumulative type of thing where I feel worse after day 3 or 4 and then franky, I just want to pull the pin and come home early. Cot + memory foam mattress + good sleeping bag and a stove means for a fantastic sleep, and the generator + a LED light means we can play cards and dice well in to the evening and the days melt bye.

I still consider getting a trailer, but that is mostly because I know that's the only way I will be able to convince my wife and daughter to come out and join. I'd have to trade my boat in for the trailer as I don't have enough space in my driveway for boat, and frankly for now, I still think I'd rather have my boat.
    Last edited by ActionJackson017; 01-12-2018 at 07:59 AM.