Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How important is a good camp and regular meals to you?

Re: How important is a good camp and regular meals to you?

Hunting alone I sleep in the canopy and make meal son the tailgate with a one burner stove. Up before daylight, a strong cup of tea and a thick slice of Momma's multi grain bread and home made jam and I'm off for the day with a slice of bred, a dried sausage some cheese, and maybe an apple and always lots of chocolate. Back at the truck after hunting when alone I usually have pre cooked stuff to heat up for at least three days before opening cans and jars like home canned salmon.

With a couple or three other guys (I don't like to go with more than a group of four max.) we either use a fixed picnic table at at campsite or bring a folding one, put a tarp over that and set up a Coleman stove and lights on a tree for a camp kitchen. First breakfast in the dark might just be a coffee and toast or oatmeal and if circumstances are such (moose hunting for example) we might reconvene at noon for a fry up breakfast/lunch. Dinner usually after dark is cooked on the Coleman or campfire, usually a mix of of what everybody brought, or we take turns providing the main core of the meal.

But yes, keeping well fed is important.
    Last edited by MichelD; 01-12-2018 at 01:30 PM.

I like some creature comforts. It started slowly, with a sleeping pad, then a good bag, then a nice pack... now it is wall tent, cots, lights and 4 star gourmet meals. Rib eye cooked on a grill over the open fire is a staple.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by RackStar View Post
    Great thanks I will check them out. I’m thinking this may be the way to go for me as a wall tent can be a bit much for solo
    Thinking the same thing.
    Just found a pop-up blind that is over 8 ft on the square, with a good price too. Looks better than a Wal-mart canopy
    http://www.barronettblinds.com/ox-5-...backwoods-camo
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

If we sleep in the back of the truck under the canopy we eat granola bars , fruit cups and a quick glass of water for breakfast. After the morning hunt we come back and have tea or coffee and something easy to get out of the grub box. Usually dinner is mr noodle or grouse fajitas my favorite in the fall time.
    In the camperette easy fast snack as the same as above. Then after the morning hunt we come back and have bacon, eggs and potatoes and cheese all cooked all together it is so good. And just sit in the lawn chairs and enjoy life drinking coffee or tea.
    Then at supper we eat better now tbone steaks, corn, and of course have to have some cheesecake.
    I myself have never liked sleeping in a tent. I hear everything that goes on around me and I am awake most of the night so then the next day I am all tired. Truck or camperette camping is the way I like it.
    Nothing is like climbing a mountain, and then feeling like you are at the top of the world.

I like to "Rough It" in the wall tent or the camper.I don"t always like the camper as sometimes you need the truck (Morning quad closures).Eat light in the morning.HUNT and eat a good brunch later.Hunt till dark and have a decent dinner and a cold beer or two with a rippin fire.

Depends where and what time of year for me.

This pic is my version of roughing it. Minimal setup, that way I can bug out in minutes if need be.

This camp was at 5200ft mid Oct.

Sure enough 3 hours after this shot the weather moved in. First with freezing rain, doors and locks froze up, that was fun, not!

6 hours later over a foot of snow,(not forecast), thankfully no tarps or tents to deal with...
    Last edited by Ohwildwon; 01-13-2018 at 12:06 AM.
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

Well I'm for comfort and good food..I have a travel trailer for my camp ..We cut a couple of pickups of firewood for our hunt ..Meat pole is setup before all hunts..Get up early and have a light breakfast before heading out before dawn ..Bring a lunch and some juices and coffee for the hunt ..Hunt till about 2pm then back to camp ..About 4:00pm make a real good supper ...Steak or chicken or hamburger but a full meal deal..Then about 5pm head back out to hunt till after dark..Head back to camp and enjoy the fire and have a drink with partners ..Discuss days hunt then go to bed ..Don't like to have a big meal after dark then try to sleep..Does't work for me..On off really ugly days have the full meal bacon or ham and eggs fried potatoes and coffee..Must admit being a contractor before I retired I could take a month off to go hunting..My partners did the same ..We really enjoyed the time hunting ..Didn't have to rush it..There are good days and there are off days and never forced myself to hunt the crappy ones..This is our annual elk hunt from opening day till late Sept..Never burn all the wood ...but we get our elk most every year..The elk aren't around everyday they can disapear and act like there are no elk then suddenly they are there..Good food ..good camp ..weather proofed..and we are ready for the 8 inches of snow to the + 26 C hot weather we get ..Dennis.

When wall tent hunting why be uncomfortable. If the tandem axle cargo trailer can pack it, they all come. These comforts include a 2000W Honda generator, SiriusXM radio, ice maker and ceiling fan. Food also is premium as is the beverage
    Proud Member of Team Gold Bond

Originally Posted by F***** D***
    some "people" tend to use the paneling in the living room to fuel their fires.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I think I do perrty good for only having grad 7 education

Wall tent with wood stove, camp kitchen and bunk cots. Lighting is white gas lanterns and cooking is done on an old Coleman stove . I tend to pre make much of the food, freeze and vacuum seal it. When you need food just throw a pack into the water tank on the stove to heat it up.
    Solo, I can set up and take down in a couple of hours. A bit faster if necessary.
    I like getting out of bed in the morning and being able to stand up. A wall tent allows for that. Wood stove keeps things dry and comfortable no matter what the conditions are outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    Depends where and what time of year for me.

This pic is my version of roughing it. Minimal setup, that way I can bug out in minutes if need be.

This camp was at 5200ft mid Oct.

Thats an awesome setup you have got in there. I now have an Idea what I want to do once I get a truck.