Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How important is a good camp and regular meals to you?

Re: How important is a good camp and regular meals to you?

I like to go all out. Granola bars, Mr noodle, sometimes even instant coffee. Sleep in the back of the truck under the canopy. It's nice to spoil yourself. I used to be more hardcore but sleeping under a tarp in the rain with no bed mat got old.

Breakfasts going to be about a hour before day break, suppers about a hour or so after last light, don't like it, go home!

Pretty easy to eat well if you do the prep at home, that's what we do.

I have had so little success the last few years that camping out in reasonable comfort is a larger part of the goal now. I used to feel that unless it was painful it wasn't useful. Grown up a bit over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Lew View Post
    A thread on another forum spawned my curiosity about how much importance various
    hunters give to their camp comfort, meals, and rest periods. I'm not referring to large
    groups that set up elaborate camps because they expect to remain in one spot for a
    lengthy time. I've never hunted with more than 5 people, usually by myself or with one
    other person. Until my wife began coming with me during the latter years, a comfortable
    camp or taking the time for designated meals just wasn't of importance to me unless done
    either before or after legal hunting times. Many times rather then set up a camp, I would
    either sleep in or under my truck and eat out of a cooler. Of course there also were many
    times I would set up a tent or lean-to after dark in pre-scouted locations, and then prepare
    proper meals over the campfire....but never the fancy camps I've seen others build.
    What about you?

My hunting style is the same....the hunt comes 1st. ...comfort and meals are low on my priority list.

We are always comfortable and eat very well when hunting from vehicle accessable camps. Can't see why it should be any other way.

I've spent my share of nights hunting from a backpack trying to keep the weight down within my budget. Getting a shitty sleep and not getting enough calories will ruin your hunt just as quick as anything else. And it is one of the few things that are within your control on a backpack hunt. On occasion I have skimped on and have always regreted doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by srupp View Post
    Hmmm on easy access hunts..ie moose drive in or fly in ..great grub..plenty of it..on hike in trips with mountain house...whatever i can carry..i usually put Idaho potato flakes in some zip lock bags for a handful extra for my dinner.
    Steven
    Same here, especially the backpack hunts. Our elk hunts or late season deer hunts would be the over-the-top camps. Showers, saunas, extra car battery to power music box. Lap tops and popcorn for movie night (viewing trail cam footages). We even have solar lights around camp and lighting the way to the ourhouse. Used to use wall tents but now it's any combo of tents, trailers, truck campers. Bow shooting range and pellet gun targets. Of course there are many mornings that we do not leave camp because it's so comfortable.
    As far as meals go it's not just regular but we try for restaurant quality. Not a place that we lose weight.
    Last edited by Brez; 01-12-2018 at 11:29 AM.
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Quote Originally Posted by Brez View Post
    Same here, especially the backpack hunts. Our elk hunts or late season deer hunts would be the over-the-top camps. Showers, saunas, extra car battery to power music box. Lap tops and popcorn for movie night (viewing trail cam footages). We even have solar lights around camp and lighting the way to the ourhouse. Used to use wall tents but now it's any combo of tents, trailers, truck campers. Bow shooting range and pellet gun targets. Of course there are many mornings that we do not leave camp because it's so comfortable.
    Now that is about as far away from my type of hunting trip a person can go...unless it's a fully guided trip...but then
    again, even those probably aren't as elaborate and comfy as your setup, lol!

As long as I feel like I have energy after eating, I'm good. And one hot meal (house/mr.noodle) a day I'm usually good. If I'm not at least a little hungry, I don't hunt as hard. If I'm not a little miserable, I feel like I'm not really hunting. Plus it makes that coca-cola and mozza burger at A&W that much better.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    I like to go all out. Granola bars, Mr noodle, sometimes even instant coffee. Sleep in the back of the truck under the canopy. It's nice to spoil yourself. I used to be more hardcore but sleeping under a tarp in the rain with no bed mat got old.
    I bought a cheap plunger coffee rig like this for 10 bucks at London Drugs

Makes it just as quick as instant and life is too short for shitty coffee. Otherwise your hunting diet sounds well rounded and complete. LOL
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this