Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Mule Deer Restrictions

Re: Mule Deer Restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by VLD43 View Post
    Good Post. You have made some good observations and poised some good questions about the future of hunting. In my mind , as a group, we need to embrace this change under the principle of conservation, and further the discussion with both the public and the government. As I stated in another post, going after predator control is going to be a "poison challis" for us. The public is against it. So lets pressure the government to look after and enhance habitat, through more robust legislation aimed at resource extraction and business that abuses the land base or degrades habitat.
    So restrict our harvest which woulsnt greatly affect pppulations just our oppprtunity and do nothing about the predators? also continue with the unregulated harvest?

Quote Originally Posted by brownmancheng View Post
    So restrict our harvest which woulsnt greatly affect pppulations just our oppprtunity and do nothing about the predators? also continue with the unregulated harvest?
    If you want to call it restricting your harvest so be it. I would call it "Walking the Walk". Demonstrating that hunters truly are conservationists. As much as I would love to see a scientifically managed system, including predator control, if you will, I think we have already been down this road with the Grizzly bears. And I will bet you didn't like that outcome. What I am suggesting, is that, if we are truly conservationists, as we like to state, we had better start demonstrating that aspect. At this point , we can't have our cake and eat it to.

What I am trying to get others to think about is simply this. The old arguments regarding our rights as hunters are not as valid as they once used to be with the general public. If we want to protect and grow our sport, we need to fight the fights we can win. We need to change the conversation to something that benefits both ourselves and the general public. It has to be win win. We can no longer talk the talk and then not walk the walk.

I think the government should stop the two point season completely,no LEH doe season, ban ATV's in province from Sept 1 to Dec 31. I know I'll get a lot of flack about the ATV ban, but last year during the ban because of forest fires, I was sheep hunting saw 5 mulies 3, 4 points and 2, 2points walking all together. The week after the ban was lifted, not a deer in sight and while looking at some rams in a canyon , this guy drives a quad on the edge and spooks the rams. No road, no trail just drives any where he feels like it. Lazy mans way of hunting and see it more every year .

The only things killing to many deer are cars and wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbuck View Post
    I think the government should stop the two point season completely,no LEH doe season, ban ATV's in province from Sept 1 to Dec 31. I know I'll get a lot of flack about the ATV ban, but last year during the ban because of forest fires, I was sheep hunting saw 5 mulies 3, 4 points and 2, 2points walking all together. The week after the ban was lifted, not a deer in sight and while looking at some rams in a canyon , this guy drives a quad on the edge and spooks the rams. No road, no trail just drives any where he feels like it. Lazy mans way of hunting and see it more every year .
    You are going to give FD a heart attack with talk like this ....
    Edit : I think its messed up as well ....

So continue with your method of hunting and **** everybody else. Nice.
    I'll let you in on a little secret though your ideas are just that this is a democracy we live in not a oligarchy so you won't get your way. Unfortunately though its thoughts like this that are one of our biggest threats as hunters I hope you reconsider one day.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I'd really like to see province wide LEH on mule deer.
    Sept.1-Dec.20 You can shoot any buck you want.
    It would bring in added revenue for Mule deer habitat restoration and it would spread out the hunting pressure and harvest pressure across all age groups.

another thought, if they reduce to one mule deer what will happen with the hunters that were taking new hunters on initiation or youth licenses that hunt on the mentors tag? I am guessing there will be many less willing to forego their tag, which will lead to reduced hunter recruitment

Nope, banning ATV's is wrong.
    As some have stated, it's a cheaper way for them to get around and they don't damage their trucks etc.
    BUT, ATV's should have a policy where they can "no longer leave the road", and only have certain "designated trails that they are permitted to use".
    Let's face it, they carry plates now, so they could be reported much easier.
    As for the no 2 point, so basically saying 4pt, I'm not going to repeat a long reason why I think that's a bad idea.
    I hunt 4pt, not matter when I go, and so do many others.
    The biggest issue is, if we go to 1 deer due to low mulie #'s, then fine, but is hunting causing the decline or wolves??
    So, ask yourself, if wolves are the issue right now, then reducing bag limit won't bring back deer.
    We as hunters have to do our part, which is be conservationists for the low deer #'s, so if they are low, yes, we can curb our part to help them come back, but who is going to deal with what is really causing the deer not to multiply right now, which is wolves and poor habitat.
    I think mother nature is going to help habitat thru fires, but that still leaves the other issue.
    No wolf culls due to public pressure, and because of that, are we also going to loose out opportunities due to public pressure.
    We need some "assurances/legislation", that protects us from those that now want to determine our future and wildlife's based on emotion and public opinion.

Let’s try to increase numbers? Leave a month wide open for any buck, then kill the archery season that kills very few bucks. Geniuses