Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Mule Deer Restrictions

guest Guest

Re: Mule Deer Restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    Natives don’t typically kill deer, moose now that’s a different story
    Wow, you best hunt more areas that you perceive this then .......... I couldn't disagree with you more on this issue, I'm presently hunting Reg, 2,3,5 and 8.......

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Wolves don't have a significant effect on deer from the studies conducted. Analysis of scat indicate as little as 1% mortality across study areas by wolves. Some areas may get hit harder if moose numbers are low, but in general, they don't determine deer populations (despite what "local" anecdotal opinion is).

But wolves do have a dramatic effect on moose, elk, and the few caribou we have left.

Moose are a target, preferred species for wolves. They'll kill whatever else they encounter if they can get them, but their efforts are focussed on moose in moose habitat.

Correct when elk and/or moose present most studies show low wolf predation on deer. Cougar, coyote, and black bear are way larger impact on deer under these conditions

Now when elk/moose numbers are low or non existent there are studies that show wolf predation actually increases a lot not just a little when it comes to deer.

Wolves are not specialized predators and adapt to avialible prey species but yes they have proffered prey. Wolves effects on deer is more about available prey species

Still Cougar and coyote have a larger impact on mule deer

Thumbs down Re: Mule Deer Restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Now when elk/moose numbers are low or non existent there are studies that show wolf predation actually increases a lot not just a little when it comes to deer...
    And this is exactly why I detest generalizations.
    Although there are Elk on the Island, they are rather much NOT preferred prey for wolves.
    Yummy little blacktails certainly are.

Yes, the cats play a large role as well, but even for FD, it is well reaching to suggest that "Wolves don't have a significant effect on deer from the studies conducted". That right there is what I'd call bullshit if we're looking province wide. And in areas where the moose / elk / alternative populations are low or do not exist, is about as far out as one can get.

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    And this is exactly why I detest generalizations.
    Although there are Elk on the Island, they are rather much NOT preferred prey for wolves.
    Yummy little blacktails certainly are.

Yes, the cats play a large role as well, but even for FD, it is well reaching to suggest that "Wolves don't have a significant effect on deer from the studies conducted". That right there is what I'd call bullshit if we're looking province wide. And in areas where the moose / elk / alternative populations are low or do not exist, is about as far out as one can get.

Cheers,
    Nog
    I have read the study for northern Vancouver Island and it showed really high impact on BT do to wolf predation. It supports what you are saying 100%. Did not focus on this because it’s FD his defence would have been well that’s not mule deer lol

overall I am in agreement that wolf predation on deer is high in parts of BC

When you're hungry.....preferred meals go out the window.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Wolves don't have a significant effect on deer from the studies conducted. Analysis of scat indicate as little as 1% mortality across study areas by wolves. Some areas may get hit harder if moose numbers are low, but in general, they don't determine deer populations (despite what "local" anecdotal opinion is).

But wolves do have a dramatic effect on moose, elk, and the few caribou we have left.

Moose are a target, preferred species for wolves. They'll kill whatever else they encounter if they can get them, but their efforts are focussed on moose in moose habitat.
    Effects of wolf predation on recruitment of black-tailed deer on northeastern Vancouver Island by Ian Hatter 1988
    If you're going to find tracks you better make tracks!

You guys be careful if you don’t agree with FD you might be a GO or anti LMAO

Wouldn't it have been great to have our own studies conducted AS stuff was actually happening?

Building a population of wolves with good elk or moose numbers is definitely going to have out-reaching effects on other game.....including deer and black bears.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Wouldn't it have been great to have our own studies conducted AS stuff was actually happening?

Building a population of wolves with good elk or moose numbers is definitely going to have out-reaching effects on other game.....including deer and black bears.

SSS
    Could not have said it any better.....might even find cow hair in the scat.

FD, I invite you to shut your computer off, come out of your mother's basement, and take a drive up to Clearwater. I will personally show you all my hidey holes that are currently void of deer because of Wolves. You can sit on your high horse making assumptions or you can actually put boots on the ground and see for youself. And before you go off about logging and all that BS as blame, my hidey holes have zero logging as they are in a very large wilderness area where wolves are actually protected. I was just up yesterday. All i can find is some pretty waterfalls.