Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Mule Deer Restrictions

Re: Mule Deer Restrictions

Are we going to see things go to a "Public Opinion/ Emotional Based Management" for the future??
    That's what happened to the Grizzly bear hunt.

hunters with a ❤️ won't have any issues mentoring an initiation hunter..they aren't selfish....
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

I guess the most of North America does not manage mule deer based on science or they would match closer to BC

Or is BC so magical our deer can handle anything

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I guess the most of North America does not manage mule deer based on science or they would match closer to BC

Or is BC so magical our deer can handle anything
    Still looking for that better management model. Different? no problem, but better?

2016 data for Alberta shows they killed about 6800 M Deer males and about 6800 M deer females. Pretty rosey in alberta
    Last edited by boxhitch; 01-12-2018 at 11:37 PM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Mule deer are growing in numbers in many places in the province right now and you want an LEH? Is it because you want to hopefully get a draw and have little competition? The best of biologists certainly don't recommend anything like this in the proposed changes (which you can still comment on). Why do people continue to ignore the science and the experts? Million dollar question....[/QUOTE]

I could care less if I get that draw, I've never gotten an LEH before and I apply every year. But if they're going to take away some of Mule Deer season wouldn't an LEH draw bring in more revenue. More Revenue=more research More Research=Better Idea of muley populations? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see it being a bad idea at all[/QUOTE]
    Wrong, $15 mule tags bought by everyone when there is a GOS will bring in far more revenue...the last thing we ever want to see is losing a GOS...look at moose in region 5, has LEH helped?

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Still looking for that better management model. Different? no problem, but better?

2016 data for Alberta shows they killed about 6800 M Deer males and about 6800 M deer females. Pretty rosey in alberta

Look into the buck vs doe ratio goals outside of BC to start

Now you get FD study that claims 1 buck to 10 does should be the goal do to the feed bucks consume vs fawn in winter range and this theory holds merit that seems logical. Claims higher buck numbers even have negative impact on populations

There is also studies that show ideal ratio is 1 buck to 5 does should be the min goal. The reason being does are bred earlier in the rut so fawns are born earlier in the season giving them a longer growing period during the optimal season. This results in stronger yearlings that are more likely to survive the winter. Some also believe mature buts are better for overall breeding. For this reason management for a % of a mature bucks is taken into consideration

The latter is a more common goal for buck vs doe ratio in North America.

Search this forum and you will notice posts with hunters taking note of fawns being born later in BC. Could our ratios be off resulting in late birth of fawns

You may only see how models are different but there is reasons. Some seem to forget there are many theories on wildlife management then what is posted as fact here.

Lots of things that conflict against the BC opinion of legal hunting has no impact as well

I don’t support BCs management because I experienced the results achieved in Alberta. This is what caused me to start looking into deer management more and ? Things.

I may not cut and paste but I do read A LOT and not just what is flogged here also look outside BC

Science is awesome with all its conflicting theories lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Look into the buck vs doe ratio goals outside of BC to start

Now you get FD study that claims 1 buck to 10 does should be the goal do to the feed bucks consume vs fawn in winter range and this theory holds merit that seems logical. Claims higher buck numbers even have negative impact on populations

There is also studies that show ideal ratio is 1 buck to 5 does should be the min goal. The reason being does are bred earlier in the rut so fawns are born earlier in the season giving them a longer growing period during the optimal season. This results in stronger yearlings that are more likely to survive the winter. Some also believe mature buts are better for overall breeding. For this reason management for a % of a mature bucks is taken into consideration

The latter is a more common goal for buck vs doe ratio in North America.

Search this forum and you will notice posts with hunters taking note of fawns being born later in BC. Could our ratios be off resulting in late birth of fawns

You may only see how models are different but there is reasons. Some seem to forget there are many theories on wildlife management then what is posted as fact here.

Lots of things that conflict against the BC opinion of legal hunting has no impact as well

I don’t support BCs management because I experienced the results achieved in Alberta. This is what caused me to start looking into deer management more and ? Things.

I may not cut and paste but I do read A LOT and not just what is flogged here also look outside BC

Science is awesome with all its conflicting theories lol
    That being said , I have posted Models on Antler Restrictions that not only Increase Recruitment, but also increase the age structure of the breeding bucks.
    These models in management have been in place for quite some time in Michigan and now Wisconsin has adopted the policies. Funded Practices with
    great results, isn't that what BC is striving for?

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    That being said , I have posted Models on Antler Restrictions that not only Increase Recruitment, but also increase the age structure of the breeding bucks.
    These models in management have been in place for quite some time in Michigan and now Wisconsin has adopted the policies. Funded Practices with

The genetic issues that have been proven in majority of areas that abandoned this practice is my top reason for not supporting it

Issue of short deer being shot and wasted is my second major reason. This issue was shown in the news article I mentioned regarding COs in 3-32 find a fair number of short bucks shot and left in Nov 2016

Myself these issues out way benefits of antler restrictions. I will stand by my support of restricting overall number of bucks harvested vs antler restrictions

I understand the logic of antler restrictions but the two major flaws I see from them out way the benefits in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by bownut View Post
    Didnt know they were mule deer in Wisconsin and Michigan? Learn something new everyday.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Didnt know they were mule deer in Wisconsin and Michigan? Learn something new everyday.
    Enough info on areas that abandoned antler restrictions on WT

Truth of the matter is the flaws play true for both species

But antler restrictions are common practice still in BC and supported as a way to add hunter opportunity here.