Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

Thread: Mule Deer Restrictions

Re: Mule Deer Restrictions

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

And on many of my other trail cam locations the last few years, I was also pleasantly surprised, a good healthy amount of bucks...I think the provincial bag limit of 1 mule deer may be a good thing, time will tell, but I think hunting pressure should be further down the list of priorities when it comes to making more wildlife...

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

And on many of my other trail cam locations the last few years, I was also pleasantly surprised, a good healthy amount of bucks...I think the provincial bag limit of 1 mule deer may be a good thing, time will tell, but I think hunting pressure should be further down the list of priorities when it comes to making more wildlife...
    Read the reason for the proposal it’s because many MUs are not making or just barely making 20% buck ratios

This is the main reason for the change in MD limit

^^^^yes, but like I said, I do agree with a 1 MD bag limit, maybe that will do it, maybe they will have to cut down the any buck season even IMO IF they don't start addressing the large amount of access ie deactivating more spur FSR's...but, I think there's more bucks out there than many people think, is what I'm getting at - I don't think it's quite as bleak as some think..IMO..

I wonder....after the restrictions are in place and we reap the benefits in a few years... who is going to increase the opportunity for hunters in a few years after the explosion of Mule deer as a result of the restrictions?
    FN will be conservative in their harvest, and I hope the Wolves will cut back on their harvest too, things will be looking good after the government puts together some funding for ungulates too....I'm hopeful.

Sometimes I just wonder if the real underlying issue is that we have just "over developed" in some many parts/regions" of BC now, and we are starting to see the reals problems from that now.
    Look at the "Cull" issue that I now be brought up in Wine Country, by the growers etc.
    When you think about it, these deer have to go somewhere come winter, and they can't just be expected to survive "up top" in the snow belt all winter long.
    So, where can they go....nothing but down to their "traditional wintering grounds"...but, now it Vineyards and Golf Courses, and all sorts of development now.
    And now, we are going to possibly "Cull them"???, because they are now a nuisance??
    Funny thing is, it kind of reminds me about the Zone X Elk in the EK.
    It's already been shown that these elk are going back up to the high country come summer, and although the reason are unknown, much speculation is on the possibility that they are avoiding wolves etc.
    But again, zone x was really nothing more then a "Cull" as well, and was basically brought up due to "land owners"
    (maybe ICBC as well?) complaints etc.
    All these beasts are trying to do is survive, especially come winter, and to avoid Preds.

So, are we doing to great disservice now to these creatures now, by not having better habitat, and that we have basically over run their grounds?
    Are we basically reducing them to nothing because of that?, not hunting.
    If that is the real problem, then I just don't see a 1 MD limit going to help anything, IMO.
    We aren't really dealing with the true issue of why their numbers aren't increasing.
    Yes we have wolves all over, and they are an issue, but is the real issue that there just is no where for them to go any longer??...wolves up high, and human sprawl down low.
    Just remember, we don't build towns and cities on the highest mountain peaks, we build them in the areas with the least snow fall.
    I think the real issue is just "too many people" in the province now (not hunters, as that hasn't changed).
    When you think about it, how many people lived in this province in 1970, a million?, and how many hunted, maybe 10%, so 100,000.
    Now the province is what, doubled or tripled in population, yet we have the same hunter #'s today, so that hasn't increased, and if anything, what % of hunters do we have today per population here, maybe 5%?

So, I ask myself, is it all for nothing when it comes to Regs such as this?
    Even if they increased, are they just to be culled off anyways?
    Can we actually "grow more deer/ungulates", and will they have somewhere to go?
    What is "urban sprawl" going to be in 20 years time??how many more people??

What are we doing to "ensure" that these creatures have somewhere to go come winter time, and not be in
    "People's Way"????

Hunter numbers?
    I keep hearing hunter numbers are lower, I asked this question before of the guy with all the stats.
    Does anybody know how many deer tags are sold now compared to when hunter numbers were higher?

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Hunter numbers?
    I keep hearing hunter numbers are lower, I asked this question before of the guy with all the stats.
    Does anybody know how many deer tags are sold now compared to when hunter numbers were higher?
    FD would be better then me on this part, but below is a snippet from 2013.
    I doubt more tags are purchased now, but I could be wrong.
    What it does show is, there has been no "increase" in Numbers, more then it was in 1980-82, at it's highest point.
    So, think about it, BC population has probably doubled since the 70's, but hunters are still the same then it was back then, so, in other words, we don't have more hunters running around then at any other time in our history.
    So, again I ask, why do we concern ourselves with hunters being the problem, thus managing just using regs like always.
    link below:
    http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...298/story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Sometimes I just wonder if the real underlying issue is that we have just "over developed" in some many parts/regions" of BC now, and we are starting to see the reals problems from that now.
    Look at the "Cull" issue that I now be brought up in Wine Country, by the growers etc.
    When you think about it, these deer have to go somewhere come winter, and they can't just be expected to survive "up top" in the snow belt all winter long.
    So, where can they go....nothing but down to their "traditional wintering grounds"...but, now it Vineyards and Golf Courses, and all sorts of development now.
    And now, we are going to possibly "Cull them"???, because they are now a nuisance??
    Funny thing is, it kind of reminds me about the Zone X Elk in the EK.
    It's already been shown that these elk are going back up to the high country come summer, and although the reason are unknown, much speculation is on the possibility that they are avoiding wolves etc.
    But again, zone x was really nothing more then a "Cull" as well, and was basically brought up due to "land owners"
    (maybe ICBC as well?) complaints etc.
    All these beasts are trying to do is survive, especially come winter, and to avoid Preds.

So, are we doing to great disservice now to these creatures now, by not having better habitat, and that we have basically over run their grounds?
    Are we basically reducing them to nothing because of that?, not hunting.
    If that is the real problem, then I just don't see a 1 MD limit going to help anything, IMO.
    We aren't really dealing with the true issue of why their numbers aren't increasing.
    Yes we have wolves all over, and they are an issue, but is the real issue that there just is no where for them to go any longer??...wolves up high, and human sprawl down low.
    Just remember, we don't build towns and cities on the highest mountain peaks, we build them in the areas with the least snow fall.
    I think the real issue is just "too many people" in the province now (not hunters, as that hasn't changed).
    When you think about it, how many people lived in this province in 1970, a million?, and how many hunted, maybe 10%, so 100,000.
    Now the province is what, doubled or tripled in population, yet we have the same hunter #'s today, so that hasn't increased, and if anything, what % of hunters do we have today per population here, maybe 5%?

So, I ask myself, is it all for nothing when it comes to Regs such as this?
    Even if they increased, are they just to be culled off anyways?
    Can we actually "grow more deer/ungulates", and will they have somewhere to go?
    What is "urban sprawl" going to be in 20 years time??how many more people??

What are we doing to "ensure" that these creatures have somewhere to go come winter time, and not be in
    "People's Way"????
    Don't no about all regions but in parts of region 4 its not just urban sprawl and some where to go in winter time
    its all year round, way more user groups now, and there out there all times of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    FD would be better then me on this part, but below is a snippet from 2013.
    I doubt more tags are purchased now, but I could be wrong.
    What it does show is, there has been no "increase" in Numbers, more then it was in 1980-82, at it's highest point.
    So, think about it, BC population has probably doubled since the 70's, but hunters are still the same then it was back then, so, in other words, we don't have more hunters running around then at any other time in our history.
    So, again I ask, why do we concern ourselves with hunters being the problem, thus managing just using regs like always.
    link below:
    http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...298/story.html
    If the hunter numbers were broke down to where they are actually hunting it may show that they have an effect, just going with
    how many hunters and tags are purchased in B.C. doesn't really show much.
    If the population has doubled since the 70s then that goes back to the urban sprawl, user group issues.
    Last edited by LBM; 02-08-2018 at 03:09 PM.