Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940

Thread: Mule Deer Restrictions

Re: Mule Deer Restrictions

Genius yes,,, degree in forestry? no,,, why, do you need one to comment on this thread Stan? or whatever your name is.... Logged for 20 years in the Valley so must qualify me to state the obvious, or its obvious to me anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post
    Sometimes I just wonder if the real underlying issue is that we have just "over developed" in some many parts/regions" of BC now, and we are starting to see the reals problems from that now.
    Look at the "Cull" issue that I now be brought up in Wine Country, by the growers etc.
    When you think about it, these deer have to go somewhere come winter, and they can't just be expected to survive "up top" in the snow belt all winter long.
    So, where can they go....nothing but down to their "traditional wintering grounds"...but, now it Vineyards and Golf Courses, and all sorts of development now.
    And now, we are going to possibly "Cull them"???, because they are now a nuisance??
    Funny thing is, it kind of reminds me about the Zone X Elk in the EK.
    It's already been shown that these elk are going back up to the high country come summer, and although the reason are unknown, much speculation is on the possibility that they are avoiding wolves etc.
    But again, zone x was really nothing more then a "Cull" as well, and was basically brought up due to "land owners"
    (maybe ICBC as well?) complaints etc.
    All these beasts are trying to do is survive, especially come winter, and to avoid Preds.

So, are we doing to great disservice now to these creatures now, by not having better habitat, and that we have basically over run their grounds?
    Are we basically reducing them to nothing because of that?, not hunting.
    If that is the real problem, then I just don't see a 1 MD limit going to help anything, IMO.
    We aren't really dealing with the true issue of why their numbers aren't increasing.
    Yes we have wolves all over, and they are an issue, but is the real issue that there just is no where for them to go any longer??...wolves up high, and human sprawl down low.
    Just remember, we don't build towns and cities on the highest mountain peaks, we build them in the areas with the least snow fall.
    I think the real issue is just "too many people" in the province now (not hunters, as that hasn't changed).
    When you think about it, how many people lived in this province in 1970, a million?, and how many hunted, maybe 10%, so 100,000.
    Now the province is what, doubled or tripled in population, yet we have the same hunter #'s today, so that hasn't increased, and if anything, what % of hunters do we have today per population here, maybe 5%?

So, I ask myself, is it all for nothing when it comes to Regs such as this?
    Even if they increased, are they just to be culled off anyways?
    Can we actually "grow more deer/ungulates", and will they have somewhere to go?
    What is "urban sprawl" going to be in 20 years time??how many more people??

What are we doing to "ensure" that these creatures have somewhere to go come winter time, and not be in
    "People's Way"????
    Bugle M In;
    Good afternoon to you sir, I trust this finds you well and kudos on the thoughtful post.

As a reasonably long time resident of the south Okanagan - 34 years and counting - I would opine that your assessment of human development is the major cause of lower overall mule deer numbers.

Since the late '90's too, we've seen many hay fields converted into vineyard.

I don't for one moment blame the land owners for doing that, but here's an example of lost wintering habitat. Ten years back our girls and I used to commute between Penticton and OK Falls on Eastside Road, running up onto McLean Creek Road, then down Oliver Ranch Road to Vaseaux Lake and finally north again into the Falls - all the while counting mulies. I want to say our record count was 125, but over 100 was common enough that it hardly was mentioned. My best count this year was 8..... Many of the hay fields where we used to count deer are now high fenced vineyards, so that's just a very small example.

At last count, the mulie herd in Penticton city limits was 250 +. As mentioned by many other posters, it's easier to make a living where there's a steady food supply and relatively few predators.

Honestly I don't believe hunters are the issue - Native, non-Native or Alien beings - I believe it's habitat loss and too much year round access into the shrinking remainder of habitat. Whether we can address that in a meaningful way remains to be seen. I for one certainly hope so.

Thanks again and all the best to you as we head into the spring.

Dwayne

I completely agree with you Dwayne...the main cause of mule deer declines in reg8 is development on critical winter range - then what peeves me off is morons like that guy in Kelowna want to then cull them...they were always traditionally here, and like you say, fences, highways, habitat fragmentation are making it harder for them to survive...a few more fires would help as well..I asked Jesse Zeman in April what he recommends as to how to stop all this development...and there isn't really a solution, because people want to move here because of our nice weather and nice warm lake, it's too bad...I guess all we can do is educate the public..

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I completely agree with you Dwayne...the main cause of mule deer declines in reg8 is development on critical winter range - then what peeves me off is morons like that guy in Kelowna want to then cull them...they were always traditionally here, and like you say, fences, highways, habitat fragmentation are making it harder for them to survive...a few more fires would help as well..I asked Jesse Zeman in April what he recommends as to how to stop all this development...and there isn't really a solution, because people want to move here because of our nice weather and nice warm lake, it's too bad...I guess all we can do is educate the public..
    Some think regulation will fix all of the above.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Okanagan Timber Supply Review is open for public comment
    Anyone interested in wildlife considerations should make an informed comment
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i...ble-annual-cut
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Some think regulation will fix all of the above.
    Exactly, when those in the know know that it's so far down the list..

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Okanagan Timber Supply Review is open for public comment
    Anyone interested in wildlife considerations should make an informed comment
    https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/i...ble-annual-cut
    Couldn't see exactly where to leave a comment....I personally would just like to say they need to de activate more spur FSR's, other than that, I don't have enough knowledge to comment on how to improve our overall habitat situation..