Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Mule Deer Restrictions

Re: Mule Deer Restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    Bullshit 10 years ago mule deer were all over 8 08 same fences. And I sure ain’t gonna pray For another fire season like last year. The Bcwf needs to realize that the season for mules has way too much opportunity.
    Sperm supply isn't causing the decline in mule deer numbers in 8-08. That we know.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    No surprise there. 8-08 mule deers numbers are NOT a bright spot in Region 8. Less and less mulies and more whitetails. Been out for 3 'shortish' hikes on winter range in 8-08 and my counts are ~110 whitetail and 4 mule deer. Mind you, I did stay pretty low in elevation each time which probably favours sightings of whitetails.

That MU is bisected by two major fences (the Connector and Peachland/Summerland Wildlife fence) and hasn't had a fire of notable size for decades (aside from the Findley Creek fire in 2017) so it's really no surprise. Hopefully the proposed Peachland Bypass doesn't get any more momentum as that would be another huge nail in the coffin of wildlife.
    Pray for another fire season like the one that just passed.

SSS
    I too am noticing a decline in my mule deer sightings, and a slight decline in my wt sightings this year, though that is NOT due to the WT doe season imo, as only last year and the year before, even after years of the wt doe season, I was still seeing tonnes of wt...still seeing decent numbers of wt, just not a chite tonne like years past...I also believe in my local of reg8, it's a lack of quality forage, we do need more burns...I also don't like the development on winter range...

When they can be pounded on for around 60 days total wtf would anyone expect?

Way to much pressure in the okanagan now days

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    No surprise there. 8-08 mule deers numbers are NOT a bright spot in Region 8. Less and less mulies and more whitetails. Been out for 3 'shortish' hikes on winter range in 8-08 and my counts are ~110 whitetail and 4 mule deer. Mind you, I did stay pretty low in elevation each time which probably favours sightings of whitetails.

That MU is bisected by two major fences (the Connector and Peachland/Summerland Wildlife fence) and hasn't had a fire of notable size for decades (aside from the Findley Creek fire in 2017) so it's really no surprise. Hopefully the proposed Peachland Bypass doesn't get any more momentum as that would be another huge nail in the coffin of wildlife.
    Pray for another fire season like the one that just passed.

SSS
    You have identified a couple of problems that mule deer are up against, both of them involve habitat issues, not hunting, or overhunting as some would have you believe. A hwy dissecting critical winter habitat and no fires, so the best idea some can come up with is limit hunting, smart....
    Without knowing the area in question, the mule deer may be in another area perhaps higher up because of the snow conditions which are unusual this year and I have seen them in places I thought were strange in deep snow during winter in the N Okanagan, just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    My experience is not a death of a valley but rather death of Valley after valley after valley. It isn't just a honey hole, it is entire ecosystems. I will have to sit down and write up an account as Northern Region 3 was the epicenter for the wolves that now are in the Okanagan. 10 years of onslaught has left us not even a small fraction of what we once were a mere dozen years ago. I was told by the CO a few years ago that the colars indicated a move from here to the South Shuwap and the North Okanagan. I can assure you, if they are not dealt with now, the Okanagan will indeed be living our current nightmare 10 years from now. Funny, how there are still some holding their hands over their ears and going 'blah blah blah, I can't hear you!' No matter how much positive attitude you make yourself think, the reality is still going to hit. Some will be hit like a freight train when they finally wake up to that reality. It does not matter how much money was raised or how many emails were sent to government. These dogs don't give a damn about your social leanings. They don't care about your feelings. They are coming and they will rip the guts out of everything you hold dear. All the bickering on the internet means nothing to them. Fact is, they just want to eat and breed and eat and breed. They are there and more are coming. Get fighting them with everything you got or loose it all.
    Just like the stupid people in this province.

Good post Dana.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I too am noticing a decline in my mule deer sightings, and a slight decline in my wt sightings this year, though that is NOT due to the WT doe season imo, as only last year and the year before, even after years of the wt doe season, I was still seeing tonnes of wt...still seeing decent numbers of wt, just not a chite tonne like years past...I also believe in my local of reg8, it's a lack of quality forage, we do need more burns...I also don't like the development on winter range...
    You ain't seen nothin yet!
    When meat eaters clean out one area of their prey species they move or they die.
    While everybody was singing the virtues of the region 3 free for all, you kept region 8 seasons more restrictive.
    The meat eaters have figured that one out, and they're on their way. Some will come on 4 legs and some will come with a Dodge ram and a 24 foot trailer.

Peachland Bypass will eventually happen no use sticking your head in the sand. If there is going to be investments in winter range that are long term they must include that eventuality....or it is a short term bandaid.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    You ain't seen nothin yet!
    When meat eaters clean out one area of their prey species they move or they die.
    While everybody was singing the virtues of the region 3 free for all, you kept region 8 seasons more restrictive.
    The meat eaters have figured that one out, and they're on their way. Some will come on 4 legs and some will come with a Dodge ram and a 24 foot trailer.
    yes. And if they think whitetail keep the cat numbers up just wait for the dogs.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)

Blacklab
    Wolves have already been here for awhile, they have cleaned out my whitetail spot 3-4 years ago and I first saw them 12 years ago in region 8, did someone tell you they weren't here yet?
    Horshur
    is someone sticking their head in the sand?