Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Mule Deer Restrictions

Re: Mule Deer Restrictions

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    That's kind of like our sheep count area , for years + years + years the Whitetails out numbered the Mule deer 25-1 , but in the last 8-10 years its all Mule deer and next to no Whitetail . Mother nature sure can put a spin on things .
    You coming down on Sunday for the count ???
    Interesting about the species swap.

Should be able to make it down.
    Will try to round up boxhitch too.
    You??
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

SSS, when I lived in Peachland in the late 80's and early 90's the place was crawling with whitetails. While I easily picked up tons of fresh whitetail sheds every year, it was a tough go to find fresh muley sheds even up on the Saddle. I found lots of chalk when it came to muley sheds then. I remember a very tough winter, 88/89 IIRC, we had over 40 whitetails hitting our hay every evening in our yard. That was the only winter I ever recall OK Lake freezing over. Some giant whitetails in Peachland then. I used to sit in the back of our school bus and look for big bucks on the way to school in Westbank everyday. No other kids noticed the deer. That is until one giant buck lept in front of the school bus going down Princeton Ave and the bus driver had to slam on the breaks to miss it. All the kids were in awe when they saw that buck. I wouldn't see much for muleys until we came up Drought hill.
    So are you saying you didn't have much for whitetails there until fairly recently? I remember after the winter of 96 things were bad down there. Had friends that hunted with me up this way tell me the deer got hammered hard that winter. Just wondering if the whitetails actually got hit the hardest. Seems the muley hunting had been good in Peachland in the early 2000's. Maybe the muleys recovered faster than the whitetails?
    Last edited by dana; 02-07-2018 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dana View Post
    SSS, when I lived in Peachland in the late 80's and early 90's the place was crawling with whitetails. While I easily picked up tons of fresh whitetail sheds every year, it was a tough go to find fresh muley sheds even up on the Saddle. I found lots of chalk when it came to muley sheds then. I remember a very tough winter, 88/89 IIRC, we had over 40 whitetails hitting our hay every evening in our yard. That was the only winter I ever recall OK Lake freezing over. Some giant whitetails in Peachland then. I used to sit in the back of our school bus and look for big bucks on the way to school in Westbank everyday. No other kids noticed the deer. That is until one giant buck lept in front of the school bus going down Princeton Ave and the bus driver had to slam on the breaks to miss it. All the kids were in awe when they saw that buck. I wouldn't see much for muleys until we came up Drought hill.
    So are you saying you didn't have much for whitetails there until fairly recently? I remember after the winter of 96 things were bad down there. Had friends that hunted with me up this way tell me the deer got hammered hard that winter. Just wondering if the whitetails actually got hit the hardest. Seems the muley hunting had been good in Peachland in the early 2000's. Maybe the muleys recovered faster than the whitetails?
    The whitetails seem to be pushing further south along the saddle and on the other side of Garnet Valley. Bios are noticing a continual shift south on cameras and from the air.

I'm sure I mentioned this before but my aunt and uncle lived right at the bottom of Flume road in the the mid 90's to early 2000's. Before the die off in 96/97 they only saw mulies and after the die-off they only saw whitetails. Granted that's one small area and it used to not take much of a hike south to get into mulies but it seems the line keeps moving further south.

That Saddle area is now closed to motor vehicles from January 1- April 30 so the cat hunters can't hit it anymore. That reg has been in place for a few years now.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

I ain’t pretending to be a wildlife biologist, just saying 8 08 , which had excellent mule deer hunting 10 years ago has **** all for mule deer now.so let’s keep pounding on em till there gone I guess .

And I’m not talking about the urban deer.

Lots of cats being killed in 808 last 4 years

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Interesting about the species swap.

Should be able to make it down.
    Will try to round up boxhitch too.
    You??
    Yes will be going down for sure, will be ay the fire oit with a Timmy's in hand 8:30 range , hope u 2 can be there .
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC
    ..... The NDP approach: if the facts don't fit your ideology, just pretend the facts don't exist.......

Quote Originally Posted by stan View Post
    The problem in 8 08 isn’t predators, it’s too much hunting pressure and development all over winter range. No where else in North America can you wack any buck for a full month plus all the other youth and 4 point opportunity.the summer range is now nothing but cut blocks where mule deer are easy to kill.anyway there is a serious decline what should be done?
    So the any buck season has been going on for a month long for like what, 7 years now? Sure, some areas I also believe the buck to doe ratio may be a little low, but I don't think it's quite as bleak as many of us are thinking...what do your trail cams tell you?? In a heavily hunted area of 8-08, where I thought too many bucks were being taken, I hung up some cams (these are from 2016 mind you, but still, you will get the point), and this is what my cams told me: more bucks in this area than does, a pleasant surprise..

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]