Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Mule Deer Restrictions

Re: Mule Deer Restrictions

Preliminary results from SE BC mule deer monitoring. 126 mule deer being monitored:

Total Mortalities = 49
    Cougar = 20
    Wolf = 9
    Unknown = 7
    Vehicles = 4
    Health, poachers, 'yotes, bears, etc = 9

Wolves are responsible, in this preliminary data set, for 18% of all mortalities. These wolf-caused mortalities appear to be heavily skewed toward 4-26. At the population level, wolves are killing only 7% of the mule deer.

There have been huge variations in fawn recruitment year to year, same as they saw in Idaho, and this is what has had the most dramatic effect on populations.

On the bright side, pregnancy rates are at 91%, including yearling pregnancies. There's no lack of bucks despite what we're hearing - the sperm is there. That 91% is the same as the urban deer rate where there's no harvest of bucks.

Let's keep in mind that these are the PRELIMINARY data results ONLY. We'll await the official update from the regional bios expected later this spring.
    Last edited by Fisher-Dude; 01-16-2018 at 02:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

FD is this your way of saying you were wrong or possibly wrong on wolves only being accountable for only 1% of deer predation lol

If so there might be hope for you yet lol

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    FD is this your way of saying you were wrong or possibly wrong on wolves only being accountable for only 1% of deer predation lol

If so there might be hope for you yet lol
    That was the result in ID/MT.

That is what I told you. You didn't listen.
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    That was the result in ID/MT.

That is what I told you. You didn't listen.
    Go back in this thread clear as day you were claiming wolves are very low impact on deer by post the 1% result. You have made the claim wolves have little impact on deer in many other threads

Nice try at regaining face though lol

Guess you still can’t admit any possibility of being wrong. Here I thought you might be making baby steps towards it guess I was wrong lol

So, let's say we spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on wolf control to knock them down by 50%. That's a hard target to achieve, but let's say we devote enough resources to do it.

We might "save" 3.5% of mule deer if we do. Of course, we know that compensatory mortality always (well, in 20 of 21 studies, so let's say in 95% of cases instead of always) kills the 3.5% of mule deer we saved in the first place.

We know that socially and politically, wolf culls are a tough sell.

Is the juice worth the squeeze? Or should we look at fawn recruitment improvements instead? Would the hundreds of thousands of dollars be better spent on habitat improvements for fawns, when we know that we only have a 5% chance of saving 3.5% of mule deer with an unpopular wolf cull?

If you want to talk about a wolf cull that is targeted to improve moose and elk survival, you have my full attention, and I'll sacrifice political capital when I can see a clear and demonstrated benefit to our big ungulates.. But on mule deer, I really think we're spinning our wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Go back in this thread clear as day you were claiming wolves are very low impact on deer by post the 1% result. You have made the claim wolves have little impact on deer in many other threads

Nice try at regaining face though lol

Guess you still can’t admit any possibility of being wrong. Here I thought you might be making baby steps towards it guess I was wrong lol
    Your infatuation with me is much stronger than your interest in mule deer apparently.

I'm flattered, but sorry, I'm just not interested in your attention.

Your infatuation with me is much stronger than your interest in mule deer apparently.

I'm flattered, but sorry, I'm just not interested in your attention.
    Nope your not that special

humorous yes

You are forgetting in your argument against wolf control this benefits other ungulate species

Thumbs down Re: Mule Deer Restrictions

Preliminary results from SE BC mule deer monitoring. 126 mule deer being monitored:
    ONE Study.
    SouthEast BC.
    126 Mulies.

Really? You base what you say here about the lack of wolf predation on mulies... on THAT?

Really???

And then go into a spiel of just how tough it is to knock wolf populations back to reasonable numbers?

Seriously losing any traction you had left with any but those 126 mulies... In South East BC...

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

Less Wolve's = The Better.
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..