Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Baofeng Radios ????

Re: Baofeng Radios ????

I’ve been looking for awhile on the island for one of these little guys for when I’m out and about in the back country, anyone got a lead on the island?

Try amazon.

Radio Question . Okay so I have my Icom VHF and wanted to be legal so talked to Industry Canada and they have sent me the application . I filled it out and sent it in . I asked the rep about what frequency I would be assigned and she said you are not assigned a frequency but are allowed to use the RR channels for Traffic when travelling the backroads and also use the LAD channels 1,2,3,4 .So what does that actullay mean about the LAD channels ?
    If I want to communicate with my hunting buddy who has a similar VHF how do we communicate ?
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Radio Question . Okay so I have my Icom VHF and wanted to be legal so talked to Industry Canada and they have sent me the application . I filled it out and sent it in . I asked the rep about what frequency I would be assigned and she said you are not assigned a frequency but are allowed to use the RR channels for Traffic when travelling the backroads and also use the LAD channels 1,2,3,4 .So what does that actullay mean about the LAD channels ?
    If I want to communicate with my hunting buddy who has a similar VHF how do we communicate ?
    Arctic Lake
    The Ladd channels sort of replaced the on CB channels, most truckers use these when working or traveling. You can have them installed or program them in yourself along with the RR channels which you would want to monitor the logging or commercial trucks running the back roads calling out the mile markers so you know their location and to get out of the way. You will often find a blank channel with no conversations so not used in the area where you are , so most would pick a channel like that so you are not interfering with workers using those channels or long out of range from you
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

I have the RR channels programmed and the LADD channels programmed in when I purchased the handheld . My question is that if my partner has VHF do we just pick a LADD channel to converse ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneerman View Post
    The Ladd channels sort of replaced the on CB channels, most truckers use these when working or traveling. You can have them installed or program them in yourself along with the RR channels which you would want to monitor the logging or commercial trucks running the back roads calling out the mile markers so you know their location and to get out of the way. You will often find a blank channel with no conversations so not used in the area where you are , so most would pick a channel like that so you are not interfering with workers using those channels or long out of range from you

Recent Nanaimo transplant to Williams Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    I have the RR channels programmed and the LADD channels programmed in when I purchased the handheld . My question is that if my partner has VHF do we just pick a LADD channel to converse ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Pretty much that is what we do, pick a channel with no activity and use that one. We also have the GMRS and FRS channels programmed in so we can have a lot of choices. Pretty easy to find a unused channel though. Depends on where you will be hunting, we often program in the S&R channels in case of an emergency and to help with location if need by. Some channels you can not use near the US border so best to check if that is where you will be
    "People who know the least always argue the most."

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right, you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."

Thanks Pioneerman
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneerman View Post
    Pretty much that is what we do, pick a channel with no activity and use that one. We also have the GMRS and FRS channels programmed in so we can have a lot of choices. Pretty easy to find a unused channel though. Depends on where you will be hunting, we often program in the S&R channels in case of an emergency and to help with location if need by. Some channels you can not use near the US border so best to check if that is where you will be

I am sure impressed with the distance my truck mounted antenna gives my radio. Anybody have any recommendations on better rubber duck antennas for handhelds?