Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Baofeng Radios ????

Re: Baofeng Radios ????

If you were to buy a hand full of Baofeng radios would it be the UV-82 or the UV-5R (which is apparently the BF-F8HP) model? Anyone with experience of both, pros/cons?

UV5R--BF-F8HP vs UV82--UV82HP--UV82TP--- Not all that much different, I have had or have all of them. With the 82s you can moniter and transmit on two frequencies as the PTT button is two position. The UV5 series you can set the radio to moniter 2 frequencies but will only transmit on the upper "A" frequency. to transmit on the lower "B" frequency you just have to switch the A/B button. Way more acessories available for the 5 series. Limited amount of acessories available(harder to find a supplier)for the 82s. All that being said, Ray in Pemberton, (baofengcanada@gmail.com) orders the 82s by the hundreds. Good guy to deal with. I do not know Ray but I do know his reputation which has been built up over the last few years.
    Last edited by MOUNTAIN MICKEY; 06-07-2020 at 09:07 AM. Reason: adding more info

So Mickey which Baofeng handhelds are the upper end ones ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

From my experience, I would say the GT3 series have an edge. But that is based soley on my personal experience. They are always better than advertised as far as power output and battery life--the way I test them. The fact that I find them better is really insignificant because they are all very close to being equal in all respects. I will give you two examples. The current UV82HP that I am using is a 5 watt radio but power out put is 9.2 watts--better than every Baofeng or Icom V85 that I have owned. A GT3 Mrk 2 that I got for a friend has better battery life than any of the 60 plus radios that I have ordered for other friends. Its a luck of the draw situation with these radios. I have yet to come across one that does not meet minimum standards of a first production uv5. I have a new inbox UV9R-ERA 18watt 9500mah battery---all I can say is not as advertised. You wont get cheated buying it as a good usable radio, it just doesn't measure up to what its suppose to be. Rare to find a battery that tests better than a 2000mah battery (about 22 hours) and also rare to find a radio that tests better than 8watts.

Thank you for the input MM. Accessories are nice, but not essential in my opinion. Maximizing range is huge priority in my criteria, without breaking the bank as I am purchasing 4-5 units. What methodology are you using to test/measure the power output on individual radios? You mentioned one of your output 9.2 watts that is quite impressive. What would you say is the average wattage output you measure of the various units you own?

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MICKEY View Post
    UV5R--BF-F8HP vs UV82--UV82HP--UV82TP--- Not all that much different, I have had or have all of them. With the 82s you can moniter and transmit on two frequencies as the PTT button is two position. The UV5 series you can set the radio to moniter 2 frequencies but will only transmit on the upper "A" frequency. to transmit on the lower "B" frequency you just have to switch the A/B button. Way more acessories available for the 5 series. Limited amount of acessories available(harder to find a supplier)for the 82s. All that being said, Ray in Pemberton, (baofengcanada@gmail.com) orders the 82s by the hundreds. Good guy to deal with. I do not know Ray but I do know his reputation which has been built up over the last few years.

So I may have asked these two questions already and they may have been answered so my apologies if that is the case but here goes .Are all Handhelds Ham radios ? What makes a Handheld radio a Ham radio ? Can you fellas recommend a dealer in the Lowermainland that is good for Handheld radios and would program the radio for Forest Service Roads ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    So I may have asked these two questions already and they may have been answered so my apologies if that is the case but here goes .Are all Handhelds Ham radios ? What makes a Handheld radio a Ham radio ? Can you fellas recommend a dealer in the Lowermainland that is good for Handheld radios and would program the radio for Forest Service Roads ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    HAM is an organisation of amateur radio enthusiasts. They are assigned certain frequencies which they are authorised to use in a non-commercial setting. So depending on what frequencies a given radio uses whether it be handheld or otherwise, it may or may not be a HAM radio... The frequencies used on FSRs are in the VHF band & used commercially by 'professionals'. I don't have a HAM license, but I do have a license issued by the government to operate my VHF handheld. 2 totally different 'animals' if you will. The license I maintain is for a single frequency, in my case LAD which is a general trucking frequency in most of western Canada. When I use the FSR frequencies while traveling those roads, I am a 'guest' user.

The radio frequency spectrum, although it continues to expand, is highly competitive as to who gets what. Interference is a concern so it is highly regulated by each country & internationally. Last thing an emergency service needs when using their assigned frequency or channel are unlicensed, uninformed users chit chatting..... Fees to hold & maintain frequencies by the owner can be very high, so unauthorised use is frowned upon. Technically even with a licensed radio, the holder is supposed to have written permission from the holder of another frequency before they are allowed to transmit on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_spectrum
    Last edited by mike31154; 06-10-2020 at 11:48 AM.

Hmmmm. Okay so I’m going to want to purchase a handheld to communicate with logging trucks and equipment on Forest Service Roads when hunting and communicate with a fellow hunter in my party . I need a license to do that ?
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by mike31154 View Post
    HAM is an organisation of amateur radio enthusiasts. They are assigned certain frequencies which they are authorised to use in a non-commercial setting. So depending on what frequencies a given radio uses whether it be handheld or otherwise, it may or may not be a HAM radio... The frequencies used on FSRs are in the VHF band & used commercially by 'professionals'. I don't have a HAM license, but I do have a license issued by the government to operate my VHF handheld. 2 totally different 'animals' if you will. The license I maintain is for a single frequency, in my case LAD which is a general trucking frequency in most of western Canada. When I use the FSR frequencies while traveling those roads, I am a 'guest' user.

The radio frequency spectrum, although it continues to expand, is highly competitive as to who gets what. Interference is a concern so it is highly regulated by each country & internationally. Last thing an emergency service needs when using their assigned frequency or channel are unlicensed, uninformed users chit chatting..... Fees to hold & maintain frequencies by the owner can be very high, so unauthorised use is frowned upon. Technically even with a licensed radio, the holder is supposed to have written permission from the holder of another frequency before they are allowed to transmit on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Hmmmm. Okay so I’m going to want to purchase a handheld to communicate with logging trucks and equipment on Forest Service Roads when hunting and communicate with a fellow hunter in my party . I need a license to do that ?
    Arctic Lake
    Affirmative. Know the protocol for communicating with logging trucks and equipment & if you wish to use it to communicate with a fellow hunter it better be on a frequency unused by any other traffic in that area. The Baofengs are capable of being programmed with the GMRS or FRS (Family Radio Service) frequencies which do not require a license, however you must limit the Baofeng's transmit wattage to remain legal when using those freqs. That would be a good option to communicate with fellow hunters rather than risk transmitting on an unauthorised commercial VHF freq. One more thing, technically each handheld or 'station' requires it's own license, so if you buy 2, you need 2 licenses....

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst...g/sf01742.html

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst...g/sf11127.html
    Last edited by mike31154; 06-12-2020 at 09:22 AM.

Thank You Mike ! It seems that Baofengs are good radios but I just don’t like the idea of buying Chinese if I can help it . Having said that if I don’t buy Chinese it will probably cost a lot more for a radio .
    Arctic Lake