Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Baofeng Radios ????

Re: Baofeng Radios ????

Check out the output power rating on any GMRS radio.
    To be Canadian compliant they are supposed to be limited to 2 w. output, while in the U.S. they can run 5 W.
    The 5 W. units are significantly better
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

So what’s the deal on buying/owning a 5w unit in Canada,do you need a special licence and is this enforced?

I bought mine from Wish. Unlike many things from Wish these came in about two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    So what’s the deal on buying/owning a 5w unit in Canada,do you need a special licence and is this enforced?
    Buying which, the Baofengs or simply a GMRS radio? All VHF transceivers are supposed to be licensed for use through Industry Canada. GMRS radios compliant with the 2 watt limit do not require licensing. The Baofengs have the capability to program/use GMRS frequencies & because they are above the 2 watt limit, would not be legal to use on the GMRS channels(although I think you can change the output wattage on the Baofeng). With regard to enforcement, doesn't seem there are a lot of vans cruising around looking for renegade users. However, why take the chance, the license fee is about $50 a year, drop in the bucket compared to what we spend in our pursuit of the wild critters. I have a Kenwood & maintain a license for it. Problem is, it's not programmable without a computer & software. The 8 channels on it are not near enough for all my outdoor activities, so I have a couple Baofengs for those occasions where I plan poorly & don't have a certain freq in the Kenwood.
    Last edited by mike31154; 10-28-2018 at 09:07 AM.

mike, what is involved in getting a licence ?

Three types of licenses.

Commercial, Amateur and Marine.

Commercial license: You would tell Industry Canada what frequency you are applying for (the lad channels) they will ask you for the make and model of your radio. If your radio is compliant, you then get a copy of your radio license after paying the federal government $46 a rear per radio.
    User programmable radios are not permitted.

Amateur license: Take the test, get your call sign. Your call sign is good for life (no annual fees) Down side is you are not permitted to broadcast on the commercial frequencies (resource road channels)
    edit (again) several amateur clubs will host courses to help new users achieve their call sign. Course fees are usually around $100 and come with a one year membership to the amateur club.

Marine operator certificate: Really, I have no idea as it's outside anything I have an interest in...

edit: It's unlikely the Chinese radio's would be compliant for use on the commercial bands. They would be acceptable in the amateur radio band however.
    Last edited by westcoaster; 10-28-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Several of the city, town and municipalities are hosting Ham Radio Licensing courses for emergency back up situations in case of disasters.
    I got mine through the Campbell River ATV Club.

I did not take any course for my license. The local vendor I purchased the Kenwood at programmed the 8 channels mostly with local FSR & LAD freqs. They gave me a license application which I mailed in. Renewal form comes in the mail annually. My assigned freq is a LAD channel. I pay the dues on line.

To be compliant if the Kenwood needs reprogramming I'm supposed to take back to the vendor. 1st time is free after that they charge money every visit.

Okay a few items here, for information purposes only.
    It is illegal to use a Boafeng radio to monitor or transmitt on the LADD or RR frequencies. Industry Canada will not give you a commercial licence to use one of these radios.
    it is also illegal for you to use one of these radios in the ham frequencies unless you are a licence ham operator
    It is illegal to use them in the GMRS frequencies as they are over the 2 watt maximum.

I have 3 of these radios ranging from 2 to 4 years old and have never had a problem with them.
    Here is a link to a letter that Industry Canada sent to our local ham facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bcha...announcements/