Thread: haida gwaii experiance needed

haida gwaii experiance needed

how is the winter fishery for halibut and rock cod?
    are there any feeder springs around in febuary? looming for a little intel.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: haida gwaii experiance needed

I lived there for 6 years 20 years ago. QCC.

There are feeders around in February, but very little pressure.

As for halibut / rockfish: the halis come in with the Herring in the spring, they are around, but again, little to no pressure - the west side is the best place for rockfish and halis I suppose, but virtually no sporties are out there until May - long way to go if in the middle of the islands, there will be something cooking up at Masset, but virtually no sporties around and the weather can be treacherous.

We always started things back up in May - better weather, the herring were around and schooled up.

Doesn't help you much I realize, but you have to have your $hit together to venture out up there - weather, local knowledge, spots, hazards, etc. I am lucky - I go back almost every year and have many good friends there - an ear to the ground so to speak.

Freonguy

Check regs. Hali and cod closed this time of year

all fair comments..
    would try to hire a local..
    want to prescout the area before i drive the whole family out in the summer.

i guess stealhead would be fun and a hike into the pontoons could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    i guess stealhead would be fun and a hike into the pontoons could be interesting.
    There will be Steelhead in the Yakoun right now. I have always been of the mind ' don't harass them if you aren't going to bonk them ' - I am not sure if Steelhead are closed now, but some fish die that are released.

Try to experience HG with the family - Rennell Sound is a great family spot, but make sure you have a vehicle that is up for the task, and there are NO amenities other than outhouses.

Freonguy

haida gwaii experiance needed
    I hear ya. I need it too......... someday
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Just got back from ten days on the island. Super cool.

One of the most scenic places I’ve been. In the summer, head to the beach for those glowing sunrises. I’ve come across old totem poles out back of Sandspit that looked like they’d been there for hundreds of years. Having a large enough boat to tour around both Graham and Moresby Isand for a few weeks is on my bucket list.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    One of the most scenic places I’ve been. In the summer, head to the beach for those glowing sunrises. I’ve come across old totem poles out back of Sandspit that looked like they’d been there for hundreds of years. Having a large enough boat to tour around both Graham and Moresby Isand for a few weeks is on my bucket list.
    \

I'm curious about where these poles are. The nearest old poles that I know of are at the village site of Skedans, on the northeast end corner of Louise Island. If you're thinking of Copper Bay there's a small pole there, but its not ancient.