Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's simple math, says a scientist - more roads equal fewer grizzly bears.

It's simple math, says a scientist - more roads equal fewer grizzly bears.

I know its like beating a dead horse but found a Journal from University of Alberta's PHD Canadidate, stressing the point that higher road density leads to lower grizzly bear density.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0109090239.htm

It's simple math, says scientist Clayton Lamb. The closer grizzly bears are to humans, the more ways there are for the bears to die. Put more simply, more roads equal fewer grizzly bears.

In a recent study examining a long-term DNA dataset of grizzly bear activity in British Columbia, Lamb and his colleagues conclusively determined what scientists have long suspected: higher road density leads to lower grizzly bear density, a critical problem for a species still rebounding from a long period of human persecution.

"The problem with grizzly bears and roads is a North American-wide issue. This is the first time that strongly links roads to decreased grizzly bear density," said Lamb, currently completing his PhD with University of Alberta conservation biologist Stan Boutin. "Not only do bears die near roads, bears also avoid these areas, making many habitats with roads through them less effective. By closing roads, we can reduce the negative impact of roads in a lot of ways. We can't turn roads back into forest tomorrow, so the best thing we can do right now is to close them. The effects are immediate."

Lamb and his colleagues studied a threatened population of grizzlies in the Monashee Mountains, just east of the Okanagan, the leading edge of bear recovery efforts in British Columbia. Lamb described the population as low but recovering, with the bears slowly recolonizing the Okanagan where they used to roam but are currently extirpated.

"Grizzly bears are recovering in a lot of areas, but habitat loss and human-bear conflict remain huge problems that can compromise recovery," said Lamb.

Following the December, 2017 closure of the grizzly bear hunt in British Columbia, Lamb commented, "It is more important than ever that the public recognize the continuing threats to bear populations. Current road densities in British Columbia represent a problem for bear conservation. We are losing wilderness in the province, and there are fewer grizzly bears where road densities are high. We're taking it another step further and advising that closing roads will do a lot to improve bear populations."

Lamb said the findings can be applied to other habitats throughout North America. Along with a new scientific paper, Lamb and his colleagues, conservation scientists with the BC government, have produced a land management guide focused on maintaining the spatial integrity of the landscape to bolster grizzly bear density.

The BC-born Lamb -- a Vanier scholar -- said wildlife conservation is rooted in his veins. "I grew up in the outdoors. I developed an increasing appreciation for wild places and conserving them. I realized that science was an outlet to protect these places and the species that inhabit them."

Thanks to Lamb's work, roads closures are already in the works for the Monashee Mountain area.

Journal Reference:

Clayton T. Lamb et al. The effect of habitat quality and access management on the density of a recovering grizzly bear population. Journal of Applied Ecology, 2018 DOI: 10.1111/1365-2664.13056

__________________________________________________ _____________

And found another article mentioning the same :http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...664.13056/full

2. Site Sponsor

Re: It's simple math, says a scientist - more roads equal fewer grizzly bears.

Clay has hunted with me, he is an extremely intelligent human being and passionate hunter.
    Still respect him for waiting out in a blind for a target WT, for five days tape to tape, until he closed.

Many are of the opinion that regulation trumps habitat impact when it comes to game numbers and viability.
    Yet here is a rising star in field research, who is a hunter, who flat out states the data speaks loudly.......road density is directly linked to game populations (grizzlies).

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Too bad it wasnt the same for wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    Clay has hunted with me, he is an extremely intelligent human being and passionate hunter.
    Still respect him for waiting out in a blind for a target WT, for five days tape to tape, until he closed.

Many are of the opinion that regulation trumps habitat impact when it comes to game numbers and viability.
    Yet here is a rising star in field research, who is a hunter, who flat out states the data speaks loudly.......road density is directly linked to game populations (grizzlies).
    Although it's less about the frequency and density of roads and more about users on the roads. The ORV and bush closures this past summer made that perfectly clear.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Although it's less about the frequency and density of roads and more about users on the roads. The ORV and bush closures this past summer made that perfectly clear.
    Less about the density?
    This flies in the face of every game bio and field researcher I speak with.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

J-T, if you are saying that some are exempt to law and regulation for public safety, ....just say it.

J-T, if you are saying that some are exempt to law and regulation for public safety, ....just say it.
    Um, I'm not saying that at all. Nope.

Less about the density?
    This flies in the face of every game bio and field researcher I speak with.
    Flies in the face of? I wasn't trying to challenge a bio. I was making an observation and Clayton reflects that in his article. A gun isn't dangerous by itself. Only when in the hands of a person. A grizzly can't get run over by a vehicle, if there are no vehicles on the road. My point is, this past year, we saw first hand, when we allow the bush to be calm, animals relax and go about more natural activities. Less guarded. Roads are not places of danger and tracts to stay away from if they are not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by J_T View Post
    Flies in the face of? I wasn't trying to challenge a bio. I was making an observation and Clayton reflects that in his article. A gun isn't dangerous by itself. Only when in the hands of a person. A grizzly can't get run over by a vehicle, if there are no vehicles on the road. My point is, this past year, we saw first hand, when we allow the bush to be calm, animals relax and go about more natural activities. Less guarded. Roads are not places of danger and tracts to stay away from if they are not in use.
    No roads = no access.
    Less density of roads = less impact.

No roads = no access.
    Less density of roads = less impact.
    Not quite.
    No roads = no people/traffic/harassment
    No People = less impact.

It isn't always the presence of roads. Its the human factor.