Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: How's the Snow Pack in your Area So Far?

Re: How's the Snow Pack in your Area So Far?

It's been a nice couple of days in the Fraser Valley... lady bugs flying around, crows having a party, coyotes yapping, gray squirrels (rats) running around... sat on my balcony to soak up a little sun, thinking about the snow slowly melting in the nearby mountains and valleys. Hoping it melts, but not so rapidly that things flood and wash out.

Thinking of heading out camping this coming weekend. I might even be able to snatch 2 or 3 of the trailcams if there isn't too much snow and I feel like getting a few ticks stuck in me. My wife bought me some white coveralls like painters use.... should serve me well, along with some serious deet action.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Saw the first robin of the year yesterday here too. Its like they can smell the warmer weather coming in and make a burst north just before. Hitting about 10 degrees today snows going quick.
    Had first mosquito of the year on my hand in hope today.....dam!
    massive too

Quote Originally Posted by markomoose View Post
    Saw a bunch of Crows yapping in the trees.They are back!The crows generally don't winter here in P.G.
    Crows reside here year 'round. I have two roosts pegged and hunt them by alternating between the two and on different flyways. No a shortage of winter crows in PG.
    Last edited by J_06; 03-16-2018 at 02:37 PM.

Open water near Williams Lake has Geese, swans and ducks whipping around. Junko's are here but very little bare ground to get food from. 40 inches deep in the bush still and so soft it is hard to snow shoe on. Lake fishing will be here in less than a month at this rate of melting.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Took a little road trip the last couple days. Went to Penticton via hwy 3, and went north of Princeton on 5a on the way home. There's a good couple feet of snow in Princeton yet but bare from Hedley on out heading east. The Similkimeen looks all peaceful with low water still but there's a ton of snow up high and still cool up there, there's supposed to be half again above normal in the Similkimeen drainage and that bears out from what I saw. Could be an interesting melt off. Quite a bit between Princeton and 97c too. First time I saw last years fire through there, pretty ominous, a couple ranches and residents through there had quite a scare but looks like no home losses.
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Took a little road trip the last couple days. Went to Penticton via hwy 3, and went north of Princeton on 5a on the way home. There's a good couple feet of snow in Princeton yet but bare from Hedley on out heading east. The Similkimeen looks all peaceful with low water still but there's a ton of snow up high and still cool up there, there's supposed to be half again above normal in the Similkimeen drainage and that bears out from what I saw. Could be an interesting melt off. Quite a bit between Princeton and 97c too. First time I saw last years fire through there, pretty ominous, a couple ranches and residents through there had quite a scare but looks like no home losses.
    We were in Tulameen last weekend for a bit - same as Princeton @ 2 feet on the ground.
    Lots more in the mountains, neighbours sled a lot and says there's tons and tons there.
    If it's a nice, slow melt with not too much rain all will be good. If it's a fast one with rain, Otter Lake will fill up and flood the Lake end of Town.
    The Tulameen River should be reasonably OK as most of the ice has broken up.
    At my age my remembery ( as my Nephew would say ) ain't that good but it seems that this year the snow came later and stayed later.

Melt is slower than normal here in region 8, and with a snowpack in the 140% range, flooding could be very bad...fortunately, it looks like they're dropping OK lake more this year in preparation...

2-3 feet of snow where we normally start hunting in April. I don't think there is a point going out opening day. Maybe a week or two into April... there will be flooding but hopefully no major washouts.

We were up around 5000 ft last week near Logan Lake on the sleds. Waist deep pow everywhere and full on winter still.

Got another 8" in elkford lastnight