Thread: Pork-less venison sausage....experiment

Pork-less venison sausage....experiment

Just wondering if anyone else has experimented with pork-less venison sausages?
    I just did a batch and they taste great.

Veggies and vegetable oil substitutes the fatty meat.

Here's a link to mine:
    https://highlanderhunting.wordpress.com/pictures/

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Pork-less venison sausage....experiment

I have run with no form of added filler in my game sausage for about 12years

Straight game meat and spice nothing else

No way I want to add some store bought pork to my game meat. I will use pork I've raised myself or locally grown beef fat, and there are a number of other ways to add moisture to lean game without other fat. Not cooking the crap out of your sausage helps to keep it moist, too!

I've used rendered down bear fat (lard) for other cooking purposes and often wondered if that would work in a sausage. I don't really want raw wild game fat as it can have a strong flavour. Thought I would try it this spring.
    Last edited by Gateholio; 01-07-2018 at 10:40 AM.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    No way I want to add some store bought pork to my game meat. I will use pork I've raised myself or locally grown beef fat, and there are a number of other ways to add moisture to lean game without other fat. Not cooking the crap out of your sausage helps to keep it moist, too!

I've used rendered down bear fat (lard) for other cooking purposes and often wondered if that would work in a sausage. I don't really want raw wild game fat as it can have a strong flavour. Thought I would try it this spring.

Cooking is huge and this is where most fail

I use coconut oil and used oat flour to help bind and retain the oil while cooking. I always do this when making burgers or meat loaf as well, super moist. No farm raised meat in our house anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post

Agreed.

I don't make sausage, but when I grind deer, elk or moose, I mix nothing else in it.

I just did a big batch of breakfast sausage, I didn't add anything to it and it turned out fine, just be careful not to over cook it.

Thanks for the recipe..Will talk to a friend that makes sausage and try this out...Thumbs up Highlander....Dennis