View Poll Results: Would you support a special levy on hunting/fishing gear

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

134 52.34%
  • No

122 47.66%
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you pay a special tax for wildlife?

Re: Would you pay a special tax for wildlife?

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Personally, I’d rather see wildlife management funded solely by hunters. It would be much simpler to ensure the tenants of the North American model of wildlife management are adhered too. Perhaps rather than a special levy on hunting and fishing gear, which would place B.C. vendors at at disadvantage as people could order firearms,etc from out of province, simply increasing license and tag fees and ensuring it strictly gets used for wildlife management would be simpler and more effective?!
    I'd like to see forestry and miners pay their fare share too.

Someone my be able to educate me on this but I think our provincial operators have it easier than most, especially the miners. I'd like to see much more give back from these companies.

When you look a miners that operate internationally in some cases they are required to build damn, desalination infrastructure before given the right to operate. At any time some of those politically unstable countries have assumed control of mines. In bc we have existing infrastructure in most cases, skilled workers, stable government and tax credits to encourage investment.

Does anyone know what we require back from them other than Corp taxes, which is typically quite low since they are constantly burning cash looking for more good rocks in the ground.

In regards to a tax, I'm with you. Need to be funded by hunters. Too many interested parties results in lack of focus when distributing $$

https://www.fws.gov/laws/lawsdigest/fawild.html

The tax in the US is an excise tax (i.e. it's hidden in the cost rather than something that appears on the till slip) and it only applies to sporting firearms and ammunition, bowes and arrows (11%) and handguns and ammunition (10%).

Quote Originally Posted by brownmancheng View Post
    If I'm not mistaken license revenues are close to 16million. flnro budget is 34 million. give or take a few shmill
    I’d like to see the actual numbers put toward wildlife, but wouldn’t hesitate to put more out if 100% of it went to wildlife.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

So only people who hunt, fish and trap should be paying an "extra" tax to fund proper wildlife management?

Are we the only ones who will benefit?

Yes, provided that the funds are GUARANTEED to be dedicated for that purpose and that purpose only. All too often the gov't appropriates funds and uses it for unintended purposes resulting in mistrust. How do we go about ensuring the gov't cannot misuse the funds?

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlt1 View Post
    So only people who hunt, fish and trap should be paying an "extra" tax to fund proper wildlife management?

Hopefully, wildlife is the ones who benefit.

I would gladly pay pay if it were to help the future of fish and wildlife.

Now that it's established that hunters are willing to pay more for their passion, wait for the prices to go up and nothing for your money. Those that would take your money need not make any promise....you've already said you'd pay more. Good job.
    PAPERS! Show me YOUR PAPERS!!

I don't think crotch is the stealthiest scent for deer hunting. (Surrey Boy)

so are you gonna stop spreading it on your nuts for your dog to lick off? (monasheemountainman)

You weren't there and you didn't get a moose hoof to the balls. (300rum700)

Just what we need is more friggin taxes as if they don't get enough now, might as well just sign over my lousy pension check to people that don't deserve it, mainly this stinkin government???

Maple Ridge, Horse Lake but sometimes the dog house

Quote Originally Posted by brownmancheng View Post
    the government already spends more than comes from licenses and tags on wildlife. but, it is not even close to enough!

how much did you spend on tags and licenses and how much time did you spend hunting?

how much did you spend to go hunting? (gas , gear etc)

you guys walking around wearing thousands of dollars of Sitka camo and swarovskis? but wont open your wallet. I am crying
    I don't have a single piece of Sitka camo or any Swarovskis. I paid $250 in direct licenses, tags and LEH. The money I did spend on hunting and fishing related gear indirectly generates business and personal income taxes. I don't have a problem paying more but experience tells me that government will not spend it where it is intended. I recall when the Federal government proposed the GST. The intent was to put all the proceeds into paying down the national debt. That never happened. Environmental taxes on batteries and tires go for the most part into general revenue as opposed to environment and habitat restoration. I would also like to see a definitive document on licensing revenues versus expenditures.

The Auditor General's report says that for 2015 the ministry collected $366,400 in total surcharges from hunters (which are intended to all flow to the HCTF) of which approximately $34, 000 went to the Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation. The balance went to, you guessed it, general revenue.
    Cody: It's a pretty cool sidearm you got there. What is it?
    Four Leaf Tayback: I don't know what it's called. I just know the sound it makes when it takes a man's life.

Marvin Boggs

Frank, I never thought I'd say this again. I'm getting the pig!
    Frank, we gotta get rid of this broad. I know a great place up the road. Lots of alligators.

Marvin: If there's one thing I know, it's women and covert operations.
    Frank: Marvin, that's two things.
    Han Cho Bai: No, grasshopper. It is not.

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlt1 View Post

Snowshoes, hiking poles, etc, even the anti's would be paying and contributing, not just hunters and fishers.