View Poll Results: Would you support a special levy on hunting/fishing gear

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

134 52.34%
  • No

122 47.66%
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you pay a special tax for wildlife?

Re: Would you pay a special tax for wildlife?

Quote Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
    Absolutely. Under the condition Rob noted, and having that Fixed In Stone!

The amount of money our tags and certificates generate is peanuts compared to what most States realize due to the directed taxes (there are two) for wildlife there.
    Yes, it is a start, and getting those funds OUT of the trough snuffer's hands is a priority. Sadly, that will not be enough to get things where they need to go. More, much more than that iwill be necessary if we are to see the Glory Day response we would hope for.

I would suggest that any such tax hit ALL users - every single piece of outdoor equipment (including bicycles, binocs, hiking gear, tents, sleeping bags, water filtration systems, quads and a LOT more!). In that manner, many who currently use the wild land resource would be forced into finally putting something towards it's maintenance as well as promoting larger, healthier wildlife populations.

I would also suggest that hand in hand with any such consideration that notice be given to all outdoor user groups that the time to directly support what they like doing is well overdue...

Cheers,
    Nog
    I like this...don't forget industries and rec resorts etc.

My first thought is No, our govt should better utilize the taxes they collect...not just from hunting revenue , but from all industry users of our provincial resources that are impacting habitat.
    I might reconsider if the eco-tourists were charged a "per photo" levy on BC wildlife, with highest rates on grizzly.

I am actually shocked! you cheap *******s....

Yes we need far more than what is collected in LEH fees and Licences to make a difference. Would like to think we can work with others and am willing to give it a chance.

Yes, without smoke and mirrors I would happily pay a small tax.

Yes, without smoke and mirrors I would happily pay a small tax, especially if it was a separate from a bungling government,, an independant entity,, and if I knew my $$ was going to wildlife initiatives I would donate to such a fund.

Really surprised how much negativity is on here. i don't make a ton of money but I would gladly pay even if only part of it benefits wildlife in BC. We have to start somewhere boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
    WOW!!! Without a shadow of a doubt I would pay!! Some people are givers.... the rest takers..... the "I've been paying for years" excuse is crap. You haven't been paying didly for what you are all able to hunt. To the 45% you all claim to love hunting so much, yet your not willing to pay for it. Your probably the same people that criticize welfare users yet you want handouts of a different kind for yourselves. That disgusts me. It's pretty evident the problem with hunting in BC lies largely within our own ranks! Brutal.
    oMG holier than thou!!! I for one am tired of paying over 50% of my annual income to governments in one form of taxation or another. I have paid my share over the last 50 years, go ahead have your turn at it.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-r View Post
    My first thought is No, our govt should better utilize the taxes they collect...not just from hunting revenue , but from all industry users of our provincial resources that are impacting habitat.
    I might reconsider if the eco-tourists were charged a "per photo" levy on BC wildlife, with highest rates on grizzly.
    I'm pretty sure if the government found "savings" in their budget it would go towards health care, education or other ministries which the majority supports. if we hunters (whom should hold the highest value on wildlife) are not willing to buck up then who will?

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude View Post
    Oddly a bunch of people on this forum voted for a party that is increasing carbon taxes by 17% per year.

Those increases are going to go beyond what was a revenue neutral consumption tax (our income taxes were reduced to offset carbon tax by the Libs).

That carbon tax is going to do absolutely zero to the climate of this province or the world as a whole.

But when we propose a modest tax that would apply to ALL outdoor users (hikers, bikers, eco-grizzly watchers, birders, heli-skiers) to help fund wildlife directly through a segregated wildlife society and segregated fund, people squawk.

So, we can remain at $2 million of our $14 million in licensing going to wildlife, and watch wildlife and hunting disappear, or we can do something far better with many more outdoor users paying the bill.

Time to get on board.
    This biggest issue with giving any government more money is; are they going to do the right thing with it or piss it away as they are doing with the funds they’re receiving right now. So I don’t believe that saying people are sqawking is the right way to address this. I’d put more money in a heartbeat if the accountability is there. Until then, I need to see some legislation that protects those funds earmarked for wildlife specifically.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.