View Poll Results: Would you support a special levy on hunting/fishing gear

Voters
256. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

134 52.34%
  • No

122 47.66%
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you pay a special tax for wildlife?

Re: Would you pay a special tax for wildlife?

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    Pulling funds from the broader tax base gets us back to social licence and non-hunters not trusting the idea of hunters taking the lead on wildlife issues, even if it is us who benefit most from that succeeding. But if a fund directing the $14M in hunter fees was separate and in addition to the $34M baseline budget
    That's the idea of the wildlife funding model.

Everyone, not just hunters, benefits from solid wildlife funding.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy
    Sorry!!!! but in all honesty, i could care less,, what todbartell! actually thinks
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    but man how much pepporoni can your arshole take anyways !

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Red View Post
    This biggest issue with giving any government more money is; are they going to do the right thing with it or piss it away as they are doing with the funds they’re receiving right now. So I don’t believe that saying people are sqawking is the right way to address this. I’d put more money in a heartbeat if the accountability is there. Until then, I need to see some legislation that protects those funds earmarked for wildlife specifically.

^^^^This. I will add that it shouldn’t be an ADDITIONAL tax on recreational goods as that would put BC retailers at a significant competitive disadvantage and would hurt small business like local outdoor shops etc. Straw that breaks the camels back so to speak. Instead a portion of the existing PST on these goods should be ear marked for a Provincial Wildlife Management and Habitat Enhancement Fund. Also this should apply to all outdoor recreation goods...hiking, fishing, camping you name it. This way it would not be an additonal tax on folks, just reallocation of portion of PST to help enhance the things those goods are being purchased for. Obviously should include 100% of licence revenue etc as has been advocated already. Also should be managed independently based on science and outside the influence of Govt.
    Last edited by northof49; 01-07-2018 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by two-feet View Post
    The thing with an excise tax on hunting gear is this: Hunters can then prove we are doing more than any other segment of the population to help wildlife, with $ to back it up.

This will create public support for hunting.

If put into a dedicated wildlife fund, sign me up for the tax.
    Additional tax on BC retailers is not fair and would not be well receieved.....take it from existing PST on all recreation gear....hiking, hunting, fishing, camping etc. No additional tax. We are over taxed as it is. If the GreenDP’s are truly pro Wildlife and the Environment they should have no issue with this. Funds need to be managed independently though with accountability and legislation to prevent it from becoming a Govmt slush fund to make up for the deficits elsewhere.

Dont givv any ideas for mr.trudou...might go for it...

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Look at it the other way around, if a tax were laid on all outdoor gear, then all outdoor enthusiasts would feel like they have a say in where and how the money should be spent. Can you say wildlife management for animals that are the most photogenic? If the tax were on hunting gear then only hunters get to be smug and say, "look at what we are actually doing for wildlife, we are putting our own real money behind our words!" Don't take our smugness from us! We need the smug, we're not getting the moral high ground anywhere else these days!

I would actually support a tax that I knew was going directly to wildlife management and habitat. But I have absolutely zero faith in government to maintain that revenue stream and not incorperate it into general revenue.
    Habitat enhancement will benefit everyone and should be funded by EVERYONE, not just hunters. Our right to hunt is a seperate issue and should be kept as such.

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Lots of great responses. I’m getting the feeling that one of the biggest issues with a levy or increased license and tag fees is a lack of trust in the government. Government stealing the money for their own agenda items is a valid concern. I think using conservation funds solely for conservation would have to be written into provincial law.
    Exactly.....remember how the extra funds in ICBC were raided not long ago....and now look at the mess ICBC is in and guess what.....our rates just got increased. Need to ensure there is legislation to ensure this cant happen with any kind of a wildlife enhancement fund. The funds must be protected from being raided by Govmt.

Quote Originally Posted by REMINGTON JIM View Post
    THIS ! Be HAPPY to Pay more ! IF there is any ACCOUNTABILITY - MANAGEMENT of the MONEY ! RJ

This biggest issue with giving any government more money is; are they going to do the right thing with it or piss it away as they are doing with the funds they’re receiving right now. So I don’t believe that saying people are sqawking is the right way to address this. I’d put more money in a heartbeat if the accountability is there. Until then, I need to see some legislation that protects those funds earmarked for wildlife specifically.
    If managed by the Govmt the funds will be pissed away...GAURANTEED. Must be independent management and accountable through annual audits.

Agree 100% FD...Exactly what I proposed ..The Roberton Pitman Act is the USA model..Only way to get proper dedicated funding for Fish and Wildlife..Seems to be a lot of takers and not many supporters when it comes to Wildlife funding..The money from our licenses and habitat fund is a pittance of what is needed..And that Ladies and Gentlemen is why we will never get anywhere..Just like the Republican party ..." Fractured".....Dennis

I'm all for it with the well expressed caveat that, as most have said, the $$ are designated for wildlife enhancement.
    I'm also OK with them getting rid of the $25 savings us old farts get on our hunting licenses, again if that $25 extra goes into the fund.
    I don't mind spending a bit extra for the privilege of hunting in this great Province.
    Rarely, if ever agree with FD but he's right on this one.

Another idea would be to allow employees to get their employers to deduct small donations from paycheques before tax is taken off. If the hunting community each had $1-$5 deducted off each paycheque for a year that would add up to a significant amount of revenue. I’m no money guy but I would take an option like that.
    Last edited by Brew; 01-07-2018 at 03:03 PM.
    WSSBC Life Member
    WSSBC Monarch Member
    CCFR Member